If USF beats UAB . . .

Jake_Ryan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Thanx for the vote of confidence Jim, I appreciate it.  Tonights game showed me a lot of things, and showed the CJL is finally getting this team on track, but the true test is to string together a series of games like this, and I am not referring to a win.  I am referring to the way we played, I agree with Jim on the points about the offsides penalties, and don't get me started on Royal, that was ridiculous, but on almost every other point on which I have been critical of CJL in the past seemed to have been greatly improved on tonight.  If we can continue with these improvements and play like we did tonight for the remainder of the season, then Bien is right the future looks very bright.  

I was especially impressed with the improvements in the secondary, it was amazing how much they improved in one week in comparison the way they have played all season.  And I know they are young so we were all expecting thier play to be less then stellar, and it would be our weak point on defense but I dont think anyone thought they could improve that much in just one week, great job.

And Verpaele looked like his brother on the Huge hit on Chavez in the endzone breaking up a sure TD pass.

A lot of positive came from this game.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S p e n c e

• Jake_Ryan

• Jim Johnson

• MikeG

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

I was especially impressed with the improvements in the secondary, it was amazing how much they improved in one week in comparison the way they have played all season.  And I know they are young so we were all expecting thier play to be less then stellar, and it would be our weak point on defense but I dont think anyone thought they could improve that much in just one week, great job.

And Verpaele looked like his brother on the Huge hit on Chavez in the endzone breaking up a sure TD pass.

A lot of positive came from this game.

You're welcome Suspense.

However, I disagree about the secondary.

They were fortunate that UAB dropped passes and Hackney overthrew receivers.  Jenkins pass interference was a bit bogus, but White did fall down.  White also beat them on a long TD that was called back.

Camon was out of position more than once, but it only hurt us on the long TD run.  Verpaele picked up a fumble in the end zone and ran it to the 6 yard line -- he should have just fallen down on it.  Also, Verpaele's hit was vicious, but it didn't break up the TD - replays showed that Chavez had dropped the ball before the hit.

Gipson continued to talk trash after making a mediocre play.  He saved himself by picking off Hackney and then returning it for a TD.  Players today need to learn that their play can do the talking for them (see Singletary, Mike; Sanders, Barry; etc).

I agree that CJL seems to have found the right chemistry.  Penalties and discipline are still a problem -- but we were able to overcome them tonight.

I do see your point as to the play of the secondary.  

Hopefully these can be attributed to being mistakes made my young inexperienced players and they learn from them.  ECU at home should be a good opportunity for them to watch game film and improve on these things and show us what they are really capable of.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,803
  • Days Won:  213

All it takes to shut most of the critics up is winning. Yeah-- some will still point out anything they had a problem with but the bottom line is winning by 25 feels good-- and that alone makes it easier to stomach the bellyaching about the penalty yards. Both team hada buttload of penalties-- it was a sloppy game. I'll take 12 penalties anda win any day versus 6 penalties and a loss.

The difference tonight for me was simple-- we got the opportune turnovers and we went after the receivers trying to cath passes over the middle. We had a different kind of pressure on defense that I haven't seen before. I think we got to Hackney at some point-- he appeared to be favoring one leg.

Now we just need to keep working towards that goal. Pat really aired it out tonight. The first one to Johnny may have made him catch the next two simply to avoid embarassment. He seemed to have much better concentration after letting the 3rd down pass drop right through his hands.

Pet Peeve-- ESPN should at least ACT like these games are watching instead of starting their little BS back and forth about how to rate a team while the half is being played out. Or the announcers talking about anything the mood strikes them as they are too bored to watch the play on the field. They must have  had to scramble to find the positive stuff out of the media notes about the Bulls as the game went on and we took the lead. They changed their tune from the "the explosive UAB offense and horrible/young USF defense" to "the tragedy of Bruce Gipson" et al.

Anyway-- it sures feels good getting another win. Let's win out and see if we can get some excitement back into this program that the three losses eroded.

All it takes to shut most of the critics up is winning. Yeah-- some will still point out anything they had a problem with but the bottom line is winning by 25 feels good-- and that alone makes it easier to stomach the bellyaching about the penalty yards. Both team hada buttload of penalties-- it was a sloppy game. I'll take 12 penalties anda win any day versus 6 penalties and a loss.

Screw you Mike, why do you always feel like you have to get the last word, did you not get enough attention as a kid or something?  I wasnt wrong for being critical of CJL, the problems I pointed out were legitimate problems.

And tonight I saw that there were improvements in some areas I have been critical of and I admitted this much.  If I see a problem I point it out, if I see positives or improvement I acknowledge that also.  So get off my back.  You are not the authority on football despite what you might think @55hole.

Ohhh yeah, and let me guess, that post wasnt directed at me right? Please you're so predictable.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,803
  • Days Won:  213

Screw you Mike, why do you always feel like you have to get the last word, did you not get enough attention as a kid or something?  I wasnt wrong for being critical of CJL, the problems I pointed out were legitimate problems.

And tonight I saw that there were improvements in some areas I have been critical of and I admitted this much.  If I see a problem I point it out, if I see positives or improvement I acknowledge that also.  So get off my back.  You are not the authority on football despite what you might think @55hole.

And you are f'ing paranoid. Anytime I post you assume it is immediately directed at you personally. Don't bother to actually read the comments-- just jump to your own ASSumptions.

I believe you owe me an apology for telling me to "screw" myself and also calling me an "@sshole".

I never said I know everything about football. That doesn't excuse you from acting like a jackass whenever I post anything. Yes-- it came after you posted something. What on this board doesn't lately with your blanket coverage of every GD topic.

As for your

"why do you always feel like you have to get the last word, did you not get enough attention as a kid or something?"
--- umm-- this is the first time I've posted on this thread while you have posted on it something at least 4 times. But apparently you must be the only person in this whole world I am talking to. Do you actually believe I care what you think? I don't at all. I wrote what I wrote simply to add my thoughts on a subject after perusing the thoughts of others (inlcuding yours-- sure). Are you trying to tell me that you DISAGREE that the easiest way to silence critics is to WIN? Maybe I am a football whatever it is you called me afterall. I doubt it-- I'm just a fan who doesn't pretend to know everything about a team or think that I have all the answers. Oh no-- I probably pissed you off yet again. Tell ya what-- like I have said REPEATEDLY-- ignore my posts if you don't like them. This is the LAST time I will ever respond to ANYTHING you have to say.

Have a nice life, Beavis.

I am not apologizing, you have been on my case over the past 3 years or however long I have been a member of this board wheather you want to admit it or not.  

And you don't have to worry about me anymore this is the last time I will be on this board, Brad you can revoke my registration, i'm tired of being harrassed because I am critical of some of the stupid %$#*'ing mistakes CJL has made over the years, and my criticism has not come after just one loss, and I did not throw it all out the window just because of a win against UAB.

Now that I am gone Mike you are free to continue living in your dillusional world where Leavitt never does anything wrong, and you are always right.  Have Fun.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

:o .................Wow, and this was after a WIN!!

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I am not apologizing, you have been on my case over the past 3 years or however long I have been a member of this board wheather you want to admit it or not.  

And you don't have to worry about me anymore this is the last time I will be on this board, Brad you can revoke my registration, i'm tired of being harrassed because I am critical of some of the stupid %$#*'ing mistakes CJL has made over the years, and my criticism has not come after just one loss, and I did not throw it all out the window just because of a win against UAB.

Now that I am gone Mike you are free to continue living in your dillusional world where Leavitt never does anything wrong, and you are always right.  Have Fun.

Woah, man suspence, don't let anyone get your goat to this extent.  They can complain all they want about my complaining, but I'm not gonna let anybody stop me from voicing my opinions, and I've taken a bunch of heat on here, trust me.  

This win was a good one.  but we are really bad at certain things and we do not play disciplined football. Let's not forget UAB lost to Tulane last time they played.  Their defense has been exploited and we continued the exploitation.  Hackney missed a lot of wide open receivers and our secondary was absolutely smoked several times, luckily UAB didn't capitalize.