Bulls fans spoiled by team's success

Ricky the Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

I totally agree with Brett on this one.  The last thing we need are 'what have you done for me lately' fans.

I trust CJL to make the appropriate calls as to what our team needs.  Much more so than those far-removed "fans" calling for drastic changes.

TAMPA - Fire Jim Leavitt!

That's right. Get rid of him. The game has passed him by. How in the world could South Florida actually lose to Army? The nerve of that guy to spoil USF's homecoming. For crying out loud, the Bulls were more than two-TD favorites!

The above babblings are from some very delusional USF fans. To those individuals who sent e-mails or posted on Internet message boards suggesting USF fire Leavitt, I have a suggestion: never again stop taking your medication.

If it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable for USF fans to suggest getting rid of Leavitt.

You can question USF's offensive struggles the past two years or the defensive shortcomings against Army and South Carolina. However, it's ludicrous for a sane person to argue Leavitt should be fired.

Without Leavitt, who, along with his staff, had to work and recruit out of a trailer for seven years, the Bulls would not have received a Big East invitation.

Forget USF's attractive TV market or location, the Big East wouldn't have selected USF if the Bulls had been 26-51 in Leavitt's first seven years instead of 51-26.

It's that simple. USF would be stuck in Conference USA with, gulp, Tulsa and SMU.

USF fans have become spoiled by USF's meteoric and unprecedented rise through the college football ranks. Most are clueless about the challenges of a team reaching a BCS conference eight years after playing its first game.

Leavitt's problem was he made it look too easy. Since moving to Division I-A in 2001, the Bulls have been favored in 24 games, winning 21. They've been listed as underdogs in 14 games and pulled off the upset five times.

Every college team experiences its share of rough stretches. Defending national champion USC lost four consecutive games just three years ago. Ohio State, the 2002 national champs, has lost its past three games.

Should USF have defeated Army? Absolutely. Leavitt won't deny that. Can the Bulls avoid a school-record three- game losing streak at No. 15 Louisville on Friday? The odds are against it.

Will the Bulls reach six wins and become bowl-eligible? It's doubtful. Heck - Bulls fans, put down any sharp objects - USF may finish 3-8.

Even so, Leavitt's earned the right to remain at USF until he's ready to leave.

End of discussion.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBQ00FAK0E.html

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Brett's best article to date!!!!!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

To bad he didn't add an addendum such as this... "But now to turn to the O.C. at South Florida. Now that's a different story..."

Great article a pure truth from Bret!!!  Glad it was said.    Reaper

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

good article it talks about history

most posters do not want to get rid of JL

most posters are concerned not about today but about the future.

most posters are concerned about the offense with no apparent improvement or adjustments in 2 years

most posters are concerned weather JL sees the problems and will have solutions

most posters assumed the great eight years were due to great coaching and are now concerned going forward that the coaching may no longer be up to the task at a higher level

JL is fine but if he does not improve the offense and we become the doormat of the BE his job would and should be at risk.

just my thoughts

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

The future is fine.  The problem is simple.  All those mistakes on the field weren't caused by bad coaching, or bad players, simply put our talent has yet to grow-up and catch-up to our lofty ascension up the 1-A ranks.  Our position as nearly a BCS program is great, but most of our athletes, true athletes that are worthy of that stature are either 19 years old or younger, or just arrived on campus.

Most of our seniors, juniors, and 5th years were recruited when USF was 1-AA.

Give it two years, and another solid recruiting class this year, and folks will be singing the praises of this staff as the talent matures into the players they're capable of becoming.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

The future is fine.  The problem is simple.  All those mistakes on the field weren't caused by bad coaching, or bad players, simply put our talent has yet to grow-up and catch-up to our lofty ascension up the 1-A ranks.  Our position as nearly a BCS program is great, but most of our athletes, true athletes that are worthy of that stature are either 19 years old or younger, or just arrived on campus.

Most of our seniors, juniors, and 5th years were recruited when USF was 1-AA.

Give it two years, and another solid recruiting class this year, and folks will be singing the praises of this staff as the talent matures into the players they're capable of becoming.

I agree.  I've been almost embarrassed by the recent posts about getting rid of Leavitt.  He IS why we have a new 104k sq ft facility, why we are Big East bound, etc.

We had our best recruiting class to date last year once the Big East announcement was made, and now that recruits can see a new facility, our talent will skyrocket.  We will be fine in two years.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,798
  • Content Count:  38,272
  • Days Won:  29

I've ignored most of the "Leavitt Bashing" posts/threads ... this has been a disappointing year, especially from me who say the undefeated season  :-/

Our Defense has some serious breakdowns last week and the offense scored, but some questionable calls AND our QB is not up to par.

Leavitt 4Ever !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

leavitt will have one more year

the future isn't fine without drastic changes in coaches,schemes and our talent level

the playing field is different now

we are playing the big boys

it means little that we dominated low level competition

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

Agree smazza, You had good sucess playing a much easier schedule.. the biggest thing is recruiting.. not just the best players.. but the right ones .