Army Coach Bobby Ross media quotes

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

Excerpt From Army Head Football Coach Bobby Ross' Weekly Press Conference

Press Luncheon Quotes from Oct. 12, 2004

Oct. 12, 2004

WEST POINT, N.Y. - The following quotes have been excerpted from Army head football coach Bobby Ross' weekly media luncheon, held Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2004, at noon in the Media Room inside the Kimsey Athletic Center.

Ref.: Opening Statement: "I was obviously very pleased to get the win against Cincinnati. I was concerned early in the game after we came out and threw an interception and then saw Cincinnati go down and score a touchdown in six or seven plays. We did not want to get far behind Cincinnati. I thought they were an outstanding defensive football team going into the ball game. I was concerned about their defensive ends. I challenged our [offensive] tackles Joel Glover and Seth Nieman to give us a solid performance. We rose to the occasion and our execution was almost flawless. We had but one turnover and we forced five, so we moved up to plus-six in the turnover margin on the year. I've always thought that's something very important to winning and certainly it was this past weekend.

"We played well on both sides of the ball. We struggled quite a bit in the first half defensively. After halftime, I thought that [defensive coordinator] John Mumford and the whole defensive staff did a tremendous job of adjusting to the point where we were able to shut them down in the second half. Offensively, we stayed pretty consistent; even in the second half. We were able to move the ball and as a result it's a great win. It was a wonderful feeling for the Corps and for our team. I felt really good for them, more than anything else."

Ref.: How Army came out and practiced Monday evening: "It was crisp. Most of our Monday night practices have been pretty good. I think our players like the routine. I think there was a little bit more relaxing and smiling. They were working hard, but it was in a more relaxed environment and that was certainly indicative of having had the win."

Ref.: The play of Army QB Zac Dahman: "Zac will continue to get better. I think he had a very fine ball game last week. I thought he did a good job his first week [versus TCU] and he played very well this past week. With the exception of the one interception, we didn't turn the ball over and that was a significant thing for us. He is throwing the ball well and he's getting rid of the ball when he's been pressured. I think he's doing a good job and I'm very pleased with where he is right now."

Ref.: The play of Randy Chasten and Caleb Campbell: "They both had very good ball games [against Cincinnati]. They're both good-sized players and it's good to have that kind of size in the secondary. We don't have many guys like that. It's nice to have two good young players like that back there. I think they both have very fine futures in our program. With the multiplicities of the offensive sets, they have a lot to deal with, but I was very pleased with the way they both played and with how they handled everything, for the most part."

Ref.: On the preparation and confidence of the team: "My whole theme from day one has been that preparation leads to confidence. So our job is to prepare, because then we give ourselves the best chance to win. If we don't prepare properly, then it's not going to happen; that is in the physical as well as the mental phases of it."

Ref.: On Jared Ulekowski's reception in which he caught a ball that deflected twice off a Cincinnati player's leg: "One of the things I talk to the team about all the time is that good things happen when you run to the ball. Jared Ulekowski ran about 30 yards to get to that ball. He made a great play, but if he doesn't run to the ball full speed we don't get that play. I've used illustrations like that at all levels. That's a part of the preparation."

Ref.: His feelings following the win over Cincinnati: "It was a great experience to be down there with the Corps. I was trying to stay hidden to be very honest and I was doing a pretty good job of it until a couple Cadets said, `Hey, there's coach' and the next thing I knew, there I was [being lifted up on their shoulders]. It was a great feeling; you don't experience those feelings too often in coaching. I've had them before at different levels and it's always the same. It's just a wonderful feeling. I was very happy for everyone; the team, the fans, the Cadets, the administration and all of our support elements because there has been a lot of work and eventually you have to reap some benefits from it."

Ref.: The USF game: "It's a chance to get another win. It's a tough challenge for us, but it's a new challenge. Now we're back on the road and we have to see if we can win a game on the road against a very fine football team. Each week the challenges are a little bit different but at the same time, we're always looking for a win. It won't be a challenge to get our players ready to prepare, though. I think they'll all want to get ready; it's always easier to play the next game when you've won than if you've lost."

Ref.: Big plays: "Big plays don't just happen; players make them happen. You make them with effort. Aaron Alexander was the lead blocker on two big plays, holding off two people by just effort down the field. He was instrumental on a few plays, including Tielor Robinson's long touchdown. We are getting that from a lot of players. It is something we emphasize as a team. The big plays have come as a result of the effort of our players."

Ref.: The play of Army RB Carlton Jones: "He's done an outstanding job. When we first got here, our staff talked about him being a pretty good football player and we knew that going into the season. We knew he would have to be a workhorse for us. He has excellent quickness and good speed; he's a tough runner. He catches the ball well, he's a smart player and he's good in pass protection. He's a very complete player who has done some very good things for us."

Ref.: The tandem of FB Tielor Robinson and RB Carlton Jones: "I'd put them right there with all of the people that I've coached at the college level. They are both very complete players. I've had a lot of good backs and I would put this pair in comparison with any that I've had, collegiately."

http://goarmysports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101204aad.html

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

The USF game: "It's a chance to get another win. It's a tough challenge for us, but it's a new challenge. Now we're back on the road and we have to see if we can win a game on the road against a very fine football team. Each week the challenges are a little bit different but at the same time, we're always looking for a win. It won't be a challenge to get our players ready to prepare, though. I think they'll all want to get ready; it's always easier to play the next game when you've won than if you've lost."

gutsy to say the least

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243
  • Days Won:  0

What did he say when asked about how deserving he is of being the highest paid government employee???

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

What did he say when asked about how deserving he is of being the highest paid government employee???

If that's true, this country's governmental priorities are just plain screwed.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  553

Isn't Bobby Bowden the highest paid State of Florida employee?