Coach Jim Leavitt Media Luncheon Quotes  

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

USF Football Coach Jim Leavitt Media Luncheon Quotes  

Quotes from his Weekly Media Luncheon, Oct. 12, 2004

Big East Conference Room, USF Athletics Training Center, Tampa, Fla.

(Opening Statement)

“Since the last time we were together we lost our game with Southern Miss, obviously, and we went through practice and our guys went out and recruited and so forth and so on. Last night our guys came back, and we had a real good practice, and it was a real good focus. Army is a real good football team. I don’t have to tell you that, you know that. They really played well this year. They’ve had a lot of opportunities to win a number of games. They’ve played real well, they’ve just stayed with it and they are executing well. They’ve found a quarterback that’s really doing a good job; he’s throwing the ball well – he threw over 200 yards last week. They had over 500 yards offense, which is pretty good against a Cincinnati defense that is well respected. Cincinnati played Ohio State off their feet early in the year, so you’re looking at a very good football team and we are going to have to play awfully, awfully well to have a chance to win. We know that, and I knew all along. I’d seen Army play earlier and I knew they were very good, very efficient. Yes, they have had an offensive line that’s been together for a number of years. They’ve got a running back that’s very good. They’ve got big receivers; tight ends are very capable. They’ve got guys that have been around – these guys have been in the system. Defensively, they are very active; they run around and do a lot of good things. Coach Ross is known for his special teams – that’s his forte. So, they’re very good. It should be a heck of a ball game – they always seem to be. We’ll just have to see. Hopefully we’ll have a good week of practice.â€Â

(On if having a bye week affects the team)

“I don’t know. We have a week off, so we just take it. I don’t think about whether it does or doesn’t. We always look at the positive, so we hope that it helps us health wise. We went out and did some recruiting, so, other that that, I don’t. I imagine for some it’s good and some it isn’t. I always like to play. You know, I really struggled last weekend; I really wanted to play.â€Â

(On Army, its history and if that will affect the game on Saturday)

“Their history is tremendous, obviously. And last year was a big game because it was our first Conference USA game that we had ever played. So that was real big, and certainly in their stadium that was real significant. Every game is huge; every game is big; every game is important. And they have a great history – I don’t know how to respond to it other than that. You’ve said it. They’ve been around a long time, and they’ve played great football and there is a lot of tradition there.â€Â

(On if the team will be more pumped up this week playing Army)

“I hope our guys get up no matter every week as much as possible because every game is that big. I think that our football team knows how good this football team is regardless whether it’s Army or anybody else. They’re a darn good football team, and it’s a great challenge for us.â€Â

(On Army’ style of play)

“They’re a lot different. They’re very physical. They run the ball extremely well. They’re very efficient. Of course, they have had a number of guys that have been in their program now and they’re playing with great confidence and all those things. So, they’re a very good football team now. We beat Cincinnati in double overtime a year ago. They just beat Cincinnati by three touchdowns. They’re a pretty good football team.â€Â

(On if the loss against Southern Miss will affect this upcoming game)

“No. We lost a game. We are trying to do all we can to win at every football game right now. We are trying to prepare the best we can.â€Â

(On how healthy the team is)

“Unsure. You know (running back Chris) Carothers is still up in the air a little bit, and Mike Jenkins is up in the air a little bit. We’ll have to wait on those guys. We’re unsure with any of those guys.â€Â

(On if it is hard to change an offense during the season like Army has changed its offensive mentality)

“I don’t know because I haven’t done it. So I really can’t respond to that. They weren’t very successful before so I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to convince a guy to go in another direction.â€Â

(On if there is a big difference in the way Army is running the ball)

“Oh yeah. This is a different football team. They’re very, very good, very, very good. It’s going to take everything we have in this football game, I’m telling you.â€Â

(On what it is like playing at Army)

“Like I said before, there is great tradition; there is great setting – I’m talking about in the hills. There is water on one side of the stadium and you’ve got Heisman Trophy winners that are proclaimed when you walk into the stadium. All their cadet students who all stand through the whole game – they all cheer during every play. You know, it’s a special place to play.â€Â

(On if he would like to see the series continue with Army)

“Yes, we’ve talked about that. Doug (Woolard) and I have talked about that at length. I think it would be an awfully good idea. We’ve talked about it.

(On his team and how it will play)

“I know our team is talented. I know we can do some things, we just have to play with consistency, and we got to get better. We’ll have to see how our players respond and come out. So, it’s an interesting team. You know we’re still unsure right now, but I believe we’ll get better; I believe we’ll play some pretty good football here coming up.â€Â

(On if he has figured out the team)

“Well, I’ve been pretty unsure the last eight years about this time – it’s probably no different, you know. We’re just going to bang away at it and see how we are. You know, it’s very early in the season. You know, there is a lot of football to be played.â€Â

(On the identity if the team)

“I don’t know how to respond to an identity. I don’t know. What is an identity? I know we want to win football games. I know to win football games we have to practice hard. I know we need to not make mistakes. I know we need to keep from having all the penalties. We need to tackle and catch a ball and run the football and all those thingsâ€â€I’m being very honest. Those things we want to do to win now, but the identity – I feel like I’m in my psychology class or I don’t know. I know the things I just said we need to do.â€Â

(On the most consistent part of the team)

“Well, like I said earlier, we’re a little bit inconsistent in a lot of different areas. At times, we’ve played real good in offense; at times we’re good in defense; at times we’re good in special teams; at times we haven’t played very good in those three phases. So, you know, I don’t know where you’d put our stamp on it yet.â€Â

(On if he is happy with the offense)

“Well, at times I am; at times I’m not. You know, when we throw completions, I like that. When we get the ball handed off, I like that. When we get the right calls, I like that. When we throw interceptions, I don’t like that and those kind of things. Pat (Julmiste), he’s our starting quarterback. There is no question about that. You know, we’re going to go with Pat. Hopefully him and the rest of the offense will find a way to get it done.â€Â

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/News.asp?i=1014&s=Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Love the vote of confidence for PJ.  Hopefully he will continue to develop.  But please get Hall more touches to take some pressure off the young QB.  Use the experienced O-Line.  COMMIT to the run and watch the passing game develop (see TCU game).

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

pj is the man

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

the next vince lombardi he is not