#10 USF v #24 Memphis

sdgukhsdgl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

great game, USF got really lucky on several occasions with Memphis threatening... one off the post and another near miss.  Overall a good win though.  I missed the first goal but the second was a solid finish that made the defender look stupid

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sdgukhsdgl

• smazza

• bulls96go

• Bull Matrix

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

thought schoendorf scored the second? or did he get the assist?  I knew i heard his name announced for something

Guest HowieP1

The next game they play is away at Cincy and that will be on at the same time as the USF-Army Football game:

Sat 10/16 Soccer (Men)

at Cincinnati* 7 PM

Guest wildrover

Great win, I should have gone to this game but fell asleep and didn't wake up till after 7:45, figured it was to late by then.  I'm mad at myself for that.  How as the crowd from anybody who went, if they keep doing good I bet that soccer stadium will have a few buts in its seats.  

Guest HowieP1

UAB lost 2-1.

USF is now in 1st place in C-USA.

Conference USA Round-up

October 9

October 6 Results

Cincinnati 3, Charlotte 0  

CHARLOTTE, NC - The Charlotte 49ers men’s soccer team lost at home to defending Conference USA regular season champion Cincinnati, 3-0. “Congratulations to Cincinnati for they played a good game tonight,†Charlotte coach John Tart said. “However, not taking anything away from Cincinnati, I am very disappointed with our team’s effort tonight. We did not have display any fight.†Cincinnati scored their first goal when Wiremu Patrick scored off an Eric Edwards assist in the 21st minute. The Bearcats added another goal when Charlotte’s attempt to clear the ball of their defensive third went awry and Patrick corralled the misclear. He then blasted a scoring shot into the lower right corner of the goal from about 25 yards just 48 seconds before halftime. Cincinnati concluded their scoring when Jeremiah Gallegos scored on Matt Hayden’s assist in the 64th minute. Adam Ruud paced the 49ers with three shots. Mira Mupier added two shots to Charlotte’s attack including a near goal that went just wide of the post about halfway through the first half. With the loss, Charlotte falls to 5-4-1 on the season and 2-4 in Conference USA. While, Cincinnati improved to 3-7-1 on the season and 2-2-1 in Conference USA.

USF 2, Memphis 0  

Saint Louis, 2 UAB 1  

Louisville 1, DePaul 0

Guest HowieP1

I guess Memphis is in 1st place as they have one more win even though they have a loss. I'm not really sure:

No. 14 USF Blanks No. 24 Tigers

Loss snaps U of M five-game winning streak  

Oct. 9, 2004

TAMPA, Fla. - Snapping a record tying five-game winning streak, the No. 24 University of Memphis men's soccer team lost to No. 14 South Florida, 2-0, on Saturday night.

Hunter West scored both goals for the Bulls, making one in each half. His first one, the game-winner, came within the first five minutes of the game. The goals are his fourth and fifth of the season.

Senior goalkeeper Sebastian Vecchio had seven saves for the Tigers and senior midfielder Danny Dobson led the U of M with 10 shots, three on goal. Memphis outshot the Bulls 20-16 and also had 11 corner kicks in the game but were unable to score for the third time this year.

All three Memphis losses this year have been shutouts. The game is only the second time this year the Tiger defense has allowed more than one goal in a game.

With the loss the Tigers fall to 8-3-0 and 4-1-0 in Conference USA while USF remains unbeaten, improving to 7-0-2 and 3-0-1.

The U of M will continue next travel to Chicago to take on DePaul on Friday, Oct. 15 at 2:30 p.m. and UIC on Sunday, Oct. 17 at 1 p.m.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/stories/100904abf.html

Guest HowieP1

Official USF game story:

Hunter West Leads USF Past No. 24 Memphis, 2-0

Bulls Extend Unbeaten Streak to Nine

Boxscore (html)

Boxscore (pdf)

TAMPA, Fla. (Saturday, October 9) – Two goals by junior Hunter West gave the University of South Florida men’s soccer team (7-0-2, 3-0-1 C-USA) a 2-0 win over Conference USA foe Memphis (8-3-0, 4-1-0 C-USA) on Saturday, Oct. 9 at the USF Soccer Stadium. The multiple-goal game was the first of the season for the Bradenton, Fla., native, handing the Tigers their first conference loss of the season.

“The guys did a good job,†said Head Coach George Kiefer. “Memphis is a tough team. They are also a direct team with three guys over six feet, which can be dangerous in the box. They are a tough team to play. So to shut them out is a good commitment from 11 guys.â€Â

USF jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute with West’s first goal of the night. From 17 yards out, freshman Christian Jimenez blasted a shot on frame, which was saved by goalkeeper Sebastian Vecchio. West corralled the rebound from the edge of the six-yard box and buried the ball into the back of the net. The goal was the fourth of the season for West. Jimenez was credited with his second assist of the season on the goal.

The Bulls added to their lead with West’s second goal of the night. In the 75th minute, midfielder Simon Schoendorf fed a through-ball past two defenders to West, who was streaking down the right side of the field. With only the keeper to beat, West slotted a shot past Vecchio to make the score 2-0. The goal was the fifth of the season for the USF forward. The assist was the sixth of the season for Schoendorf.

Goalkeeper Dane Brenner (7-0-2, 0.73 GAA) earned his fifth shutout of the season, making five saves versus the Tigers.

The win moves USF’s record to 7-0-2, tying the team record for the third longest unbeaten streak in school history (9 in 1990, 8-0-1).

USF will next travel to Cincinnati to face the Bearcats at Meyers Field. Game time is 7 p.m.

No. 10 USF Bulls vs. No. 24 Memphis

October 9, 2004 – USF Soccer Stadium – Tampa, Fla.

1 2 F

USF 1 1 2

Memphis 0 0 0

Scoring Summary: USF – West (4) (Jimenez 2), 6’; USF – West (5) (Schoendorf 6), 75’.

USF Bulls – GK Dane Brenner, D Blake Sharpe, D Brandon Streicher, D Chris Raye, D Kareem Smith, M Christian Jimenez, M Brian Gil, M Simon Schoendorf, M Keeron Benito, F Hunter West, F Rodrigo Hidalgo.

Substitutes: Ryan Abraham, Omany Hernandez, Erwin Suarez, Kris Raad.

TOTAL SHOTS: 16 (two players with 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 9 (Jimenez 4); FOULS: 9; OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: Brenner 5.

Memphis Tigers – GK Sebastian Vecchio, D Michael Coburn, D Mark Gourlay, D Gary Connolly, D, Justin Dyer, M Adam Montgomery, M Dayton O’Brien, M John Reilly, M Daniel Dobson, F Brad Whitsitt, F Andy Metcalf.

Substitutes: Aaron Volanski, Cormac McArdle, Brad Phillips.

TOTAL SHOTS: 20 (Dobson 10); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Dobson 3); FOULS: 15; OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 11; SAVES: Vecchio 7.

Cautions and Ejections: MEM – Coburn (caution, 31’); MEM – McArdle (caution, 39’); MEM – Reilly (caution, 75’); USF –Schoendorf (caution, 80’); USF – West (caution, 80’); MEM – Whitsitt (caution, 82’).

Referee: Clark Haptonstall

Assistant Referees: Gerardo Barrantes, Cyril Madukanya

4th Official: Goree Fleck

Weather: Cloudy, humid, 85 degrees

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/News.asp?i=1002&s=Soccer

Guest AstroBull

There was actually a decent crowd.  It's slowly getting bigger after each win.  Crowd was into it for most of it.  The players were really getting after each other.  I thought West was going to get in a fight a couple of times during the match.  On a side note, they need to get a clip of the fight song after a goal.  I think that would be pretty cool.