Zaronn Cann to USF

Guest HowieP1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

the whole 7ft player issue is a moot point because any player that is actually that size will be going straight to the NBA if they even decent.  And if they dont go to the NBA, they wont exactly be lining up to come to USF at this point.  Any player of that size we would land is a huge project to put it nicely.  College games are not won inside the paint, guards win championships!    

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• smazza

• mattegunz

• Apis Bull

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Most teams don't get 7 footers... we've had one in the past 10 years and he wasn't very good... seemed more like a sloppy shooting guard who happened to be 7'.

6'9 and 6'10 is still good (jones, leather, diarra, brigman including the inch of rubber on his shoes)... we're just getting rather thin in the depth category.  Hopefully we do land at least 1 in the next recruiting class.  

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

I believe that our basketball coach is a good one. He almost beat UAB at the end of the year last season with a very down team. Imagine how good the program will do once we get more of his recruits here at USF?? I believe we will be fine as long as we dont let McCullum go.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

Good grab.  Finally a "true" home town star coming to USF.  What's it been...8-9 yrs since Jesse Salters was on the Sun Dome's Court.  USF should always have a kid in the lineup from Pinellas, Hillsborough & Polk.  At least two outa the three counties.  They produce enuff talent.

He may not have been the most popular Bull, but BB Waldon was as highly regarded coming out of high school as Cann is.  For that matter, Altron Jackson wasn't far behind.

USFFan

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

He may not have been the most popular Bull, but BB Waldon was as highly regarded coming out of high school as Cann is.  For that matter, Altron Jackson wasn't far behind.

USFFan

Honestly Fan, BB was close, Altron wasn't in the same zip code.  You must fathom that before his junior year started Cann was considered one of the top 25 players in the NATION, and the #1 player in FL.  BB was never quite at that level, he was ranked about #48 in one top 100 after his senior year, BB could never shoot or pass as good as Cann.  Many had Cann as a five star recruit BEFORE the knee injury.  If Cann was to return this year, and pick up where he left off last season averaging 19.5ppg, 10rpg, and 6.5 apg his name would jump to the top of list, and possibly contend Keith Brumbaugh as FL's #1 player!

Actually the only player recently that USF signed who had similar accolades as a junior was Yusuf Baker.  Baker tore his knee in his junior year, and rehabbed all summer, but before that first tear he was considered a top pick for Mr. Basketball, and UF was in his hip pocket.

No knock on BB or Tron, and no one knows how well Cann will return from his knee injury, but if Cann is even 85% of the player he was before the injury, its still a great snag for USF.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

can't wait too see coach mac get this kid

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

This is an excellent pickup and should help grease the wheels for the program and also get our program some closer looks.

Good way to sum it up - just one more quality player to help build this program. I'm not looking for the 'savior' who will carry the entire team, because it takes a lot more than one player...but I'll take a guy who can fit into coach Mac's team and make us better.

Also, excellent points being made about big men, anybody over 6-10 playing in college these days is either a project or a complete unknown, since the NBA has started drafting 6-8 kids straight out of HS in the first round.

This kid may have BEEN highly regarded before the knee injury, but let's not start celebrating until we see how he handles himself on the court. Raheim Brown was also highly rated in HS before he blew out his knee.

Baker, Kelvin Brown and BB Waldon were all top-40 guys, but none had major injuries coming out of HS (although their other problems have been well-documented here and elsewhere.)

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

speaking of knee injuries....any news on Marlon Bryant these days?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Raheim brown ended up leading FAU to the ncaa tournament... he might not have been great with us...but he turned out pretty good anyway.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260

I saw Marlyn other day said things are going well so far with him getting back. Gotta hope he gets back out ther and going because this is a great kid. Works harder than anybody and really like to see a kid like him come back and succeed. Definitely pulling for Marlyn. Go Bulls!! 8)