Penalty Solution

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Bien, It's not let's fire CJL. My point is that something has to be done that is not working for 3 YEARS to correct the penalty problems. Even if they were winning, but leading the nation in penalties, I still would question why. Coaches teach, players listen. Evidently neither are doing anything this year, as in the past. Fundamentals at this level have to be taught! If not corrected, the fundamentals of committing a penalty will be the norm. It will be done over and over again. If taught correctly, the penalty may be few and maybe far between. But, as Mike said, this is not the only problem. It is my hope that the situations be addressed. And I am sure CJL will get a handle on this...FAST. If not, he has to answer to a new AD.       Reaper

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Reaper

• Bullpride08

• Apis Bull

• bulls87

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,802
  • Days Won:  213

I never saw a tucked shirt make a tackle or touchdown.

But I understand your point about discipline.

On the other hand, it is far easier to complain about this aspect of USFs performance than to look at the other real performance problems I mentioned above. Penalties can happen to the best of teams (try watching any game and not see a penalty).

Lose a game and act like a whiny fan-- I get it bulls96go.

The thing is Mike....It Ain't just one game!!!    Reap

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

How bought a blanket party for the offender?  It works in the Army ;D

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Bien, It's not let's fire CJL. My point is that something has to be done that is not working for 3 YEARS to correct the penalty problems. Even if they were winning, but leading the nation in penalties, I still would question why. Coaches teach, players listen. Evidently neither are doing anything this year, as in the past. Fundamentals at this level have to be taught! If not corrected, the fundamentals of committing a penalty will be the norm. It will be done over and over again. If taught correctly, the penalty may be few and maybe far between. But, as Mike said, this is not the only problem. It is my hope that the situations be addressed. And I am sure CJL will get a handle on this...FAST. If not, he has to answer to a new AD.       Reaper

So you're saying FIRE JIM LEAVITT.  This isn't a new revelation, we've been relatively bad in the penalty area for quite sometime.  In your words he needs to answer to the new AD.

Let me guess how that conversation will go:

Doug:  "Jim, what's with all these penalties, I mean dammit man can't you get a grip on the holding penalties, and illegal procedures?"

Jim:  "I hear ya Doug, but we went 8-3, and were in a bowl game."

Doug:  "I don't give a ****, if I see more than 5 penalties in a game your fired."

Listen, if we end with a losing season, and penalties are a residual effect of many of the losses then Jim needs to answer for his losing.  When reflecting on those losses he has no one to blame but himself because often it was a situation where our football team beat themselves.  

But to say Jim isn't coaching properly, or Jim doesn't conduct practices right, or Jim doesn't know discipline, or Jim's out of control is asinine!  Jim is a strict disciplinarian, and he pushes control.  He will never get fired solely on the fact we are a highly penalized team, we were highly penalized in 2002 and went 9-2, now that we're still highly penalized at 2-2 everyone is freaking out.  

If Jim's ever shown the door its not because he can't control penalties.  It will be because coaching or recruiting, or institutional control problems have gotten the better of him.  Jim's been lucky with recruiting the past five years, however there are a few guys on this team that he might have run his luck out with.  It might be time Jim tightens the recruiting reigns, going to the Big East will help because now we'll get more of the cream of the crop, not the bottom of the barrell- more guys that are business orientated, and have a strong work ethic and desire.  

Think of it that way, not as if Jim's got to answer to Woolard because his teams are so often penalized.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

By the way for the know nothings and internet experts it should be brought to their attention that many, many strides have been made in the penalty departments.

For instance, we called two punt block formations against USM, both times the blockers had shots at the ball, but they took the CORRECT angles this time versus what they did against SC, and TCU- even partially blocked one.

Another was everyone had their shirts tucked in for USM....obviously Jim got the message, maybe Woolard spoke with him about it, maybe he didn't like it, but the change occurred.

Another situation was the offsides, illegal procedure penalties were to a minimum against USM- which means players were better prepared.

Half the penalties that were called last Saturday were pass interference-1, holding-4, face mask-1, illegal substitution- 1, illegal procedure-1, off-sides-1, personal foul-1.  Of those penalties 6 of the penalties Leavitt has absolutely no control over and are simply in the heat of the battle.  

I watched on the big screen Sarosi's hold, he's got to think about that, the guy had no shot at Julmiste, he must disguise his hand use better.  The battle at the LOS starts at the snap, if your going to hold, do it in the beginning because 95% of the calls occur as the players are converging on the QB.  Get the advantage at the beginning not the end.

Anyway, its a compilation of mistakes that killed us against USM.  As I've stated this week, if PJ hits a wide open CJ Lewis, Travis Lipp in the end zone, wide open Reugger on the three yard line, wide open Peyton on a slant, and a wide open Garris on a WR screen, then USF would have won by at least 1 TD, and PJ would have only had 1 INT!  It's a game of inches, and a few pivotal plays, we didn't make them and USM did.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

For every yard we have in penalties, make the coaches show up Sunday morning at 6 AM and run cross fields. Make the team come out and witness it. By the end of Leavitt and company doing 98 crossfields, I think come Monday the message will be clear.

****. Guilt. I like it.

But, maybe they should do it like my old high school B-ball coach. If you missed a free throw in a game, you chose some one else from the team to do a suicide 7-up for you.

After about week 3, we were a **** good free throw shooting team.

So, if someone gets a penalty - they chose some one else from the team to run. It would them think about it all week long.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

The penalties have gotten ridiculous.  It's not one game or even one season at this point.  It's not worth firing the coach over, but it needs to be addressed because it has cost us games..  There are many things the coaches can do about this, some have been suggested.  I just want to see a story here next week showing us that SOMETHING has been implemented (and the story is true).

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

hmmmm it is not just me after all

good to see

leavitation-punishing the players who don't screw up is wrong.punish the players that screw up.it is very simple a child can understand and that is how many of these players have conducted themselves during games in the last 3 years

leavitt is clearly too soft with the players

Bien. Please re-read my statement. I SAID WE SHOULD NOT FIRE CJL! AND I also said that the penalties are NOT the ONLY problem. If we do go to a bowl, great!!! Awesome!!! But things are not right in Bullsville right now, and CJL will get a handle on it. And IF, IF he doesn't, HE will have to answer to a tougher AD this time. I am a CJL fan thick and thin. But in order to play with the big boys, we need to start thinking and acting like the big boys. The 1-AA attitude is over with, along with all the antics as well.   Reaper