Bulls sports: not your dumping ground

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

So you're saying we have some people who dump on the team every chance they get, and others who take offense at the slighest, most justified criticism of the team. Well, guess what -- so does every message board devoted to every sports team in the galaxy.

And it's even more universal than that. These are simply the attitudes you'll encounter across the fan base of any given team. Every team's fan base has its bandwagon jumpers, rose-colored do-no-wrongers, technical analysts, fire-everybody scorched-earthers, people who just love to complain, and people who just love to complain about the complaining. Message board posts are just a reflection of attitudes that have long since existed.

The alternative to having disparate attitudes is to try and control the tone of posts, which would turn this into either a "homer board" or a "bash board." We don't want that.

People are different and they all have their own ways of supporting the team and expressing their feelings. Deal with it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,802
  • Days Won:  213

Her's the thing to remember folks. These games are NOT free. The college is charging top $$ to see this team play. If a fan doesn't feel that the product is inadequate for his price, he HAS the right to express his views. It is those who don't go to the games or don't support monetarily the Bulls sports programs that post negatively that get's my goat.  You are right Basketbull. We DO need to support our guys and girls in any endeavour. But it is the leaders, ie coaches who we question and question they should be.    The Reaper

I don't see it this way. Yes-- it does cost money and many of us give lots fo money to the school trying to help make our teams the best they can be.

But that's where I separate the cash from the action. I do not expect everythign to be perfect and when things go great-- it is a seriously great bonus. One of these days-- the Bulls will suffer through some ugly seasons (hopefully a long long time from now). But I will not stop giving to the school or buying my season ticket allotment. I'm locked in on that situation and do it because I will watch Bulls football no matter how bad the team does. It is something I care about-- plain and simple. I do not expect guarantees that we produce a winner. But opinions vary.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

have to agree a smidgeon with nearly all the thoughts on this. I find it equally as discusting listening to those that can never say anything positive as I do those that can never be realistic on some negatives in the program. I also agree totally with Mike that while we may give money we aren't really owed anything (ok, I do think that the school, coaches and players owe 100% effort but I don't think there is any doubt that's already given) Now taking away the extreme naysayers and grossly sunny people is the middle ground and to me that is the enjoyment of sports. Hey, human nature is to want to discover and solve problems and analyse things so why shouldn't we be able to enjoy that aspect of sports? No doubt winning is fun! Nothing beats winning but it is also fun to have serious discussions about what needs improving, why things need improving and thoughts on how to make the improvements. Truth is we aren't playing that well right now so it isn't surprising that this aspect is dominating the boards and personally I find it is a big part of keeping the board from getting completely boring...only so much you can listen to people pounding their chests and gushing praises before you have to shove a finger down your throat!

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

why should the bulls have one ugly season?

we have all the talent we want in our own back yard?

i simply don't buy it

we have the right to demand and expect  a nationally competitive program

now i realize that others that are close to the footall adminstration want  to silence the critics.why you may ask?

so they continue to get their perks(whatever they may be)

i hope we never lose guys like bulls96,reaper,wildrover and big shoop that know when and how to criticize something they see amiss

if we could do it in soccer we sure*&^% can do it in football

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

If you want the Church of Bull then go post at USFBullseye.com.  What's great about this board is you can speak your mind without fear of never having to post again, that's why this board gets so much traffic too

LOL - but it's true

Another way is to establish another "board" on here for the rah-rah posters, no criticism allowed. I have a feeling that it would be a pretty boring place.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,802
  • Days Won:  213

why should the bulls have one ugly season?

we have all the talent we want in our own back yard?

i simply don't buy it

we have the right to demand and expect  a nationally competitive program

now i realize that others that are close to the footall adminstration want  to silence the critics.why you may ask?

so they continue to get their perks(whatever they may be)

i hope we never lose guys like bulls96,reaper,wildrover and big shoop that know when and how to criticize something they see amiss

if we could do it in soccer we sure*&^% can do it in football

Let me just say everyone has a right to their own opinion on things aand they also have the right to disagree. There is always room for improvement for the Bulls IMO-- that not withstanding, there are realistic expectations and then there are flat out over inflated opinions of where we are supposed to be in our 8th year of football. The only reason I say this Steve-- is that you leave zero room for screwups-- any chance you see even the slightest problem, you want to pounce on it and rip on someone for it. I believe that regardless of how well you coach, recruit, or whatever-- at some point or another the human element of imperfection is going to raise it's head and show up. It can come in spades or trickles-- but it will happen. As long as we win-- no one minds some of the bad things like happening anywhere near as much (results oriented society-- and rightfully so). On the other hand-- imagine that our team did not move along at the fast pace we have already gone through--- at what point can anyone say with any certainty that something is clearly wrong in that situation?

It is easy to point at the penalties or other mistakes and inadequacies. I just want us to also take stock of the good things along with the bad. Our last game was bad-- too many mistakes bit us in the ass in a game we might have been able to win. But we didn't get stomped to death and there were a couple of moments that made us proud too. This isn't what I term a "sunny all the time" attitude so much as it is a fair assessment of our strengths and weaknesses. If you don't look at both sides of the coin and allow some room for error, I think you get a skewed idea of what our team is capable of accomplishing today or in the near future.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

point taken