How truly good is KU this year?

mw98gt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

It's hard to look at stats on this one because we let up in our first blowout, while they left their QB in to pad his stats (throwing 52 times in a 30 point win).

I think the key is finding out just how good our secondary is. Can Murph and Tyller run with their receivers. Can Allen and Williams read the routes and jump a couple of them, or at least get there quick for stops.

They are going to complete a lot of passes, we have to make sure that none of them turn into big plays. I think with T-Mac and Brouce as well as our DL, we will be good against the run.

CBs need to play physical, screw up some routes, and stay in good position.

In my mind, it all comes down to our secondary. Our offense is going to score, I am not worried about that at all. Especially if we can get Ford and BBQ back.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kansas will get a lot of yards through the air... I expect a lot of bend-but-don't-break from our defense.

KU does not run well and we won't need eight in the box to stop them.  So Reesing will throw a lot - at least 40 attempts - and get 250+ yards.  My hope is that we can keep the WRs in front of us, play something more like a Tampa Two than man-to-man.

• Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

KU is fully capable of beating us by at least two scores if we fail to get pressure on Reesing. On Offense, we have more talented athletes at the skill positions but we're very streaky...KU is alot more consistent and efficient in terms of production. They have gotten away without rushing the ball much so far this year...but they are capable of running...and we can't let them start in this game.

On defense, I believe they were consistently a top 15 unit last year...but I think we have a slight edge this year based on speed, speed, speed (for whatever reason we seem to play faster at RayJay).  I'm sure their gameplan will include trying to expose the loss of Jenkins and Trae WIlliams...but in between Nate Allen, Carlton WIlliams, Louis Gachette, and Danny Verpaele...we've got the depth at safety to be very creative and flexible in coverages.

It'll be a great matchup because the two teams are really on the same level...on a neutral field I think it'd be a tossup....but I'm hoping that the home team will have the edge due to the heat/humidity, the toughness from being tested last week, and an electric crowd.

• Content Count:  2,461

I would like to know truly how good KU is, because the KU fans seem overly confident, mainly citing our less than stellar performance against UCF, but it appears to me that they have not played anyone yet this season, home games against FIU and LaTech, and they are touting these stats as another reason for beating us.  I am sure their opponents would not fare well against @UCF, especially if they were wearing USF jerseys.

La Tech just might fare pretty darn well against UCF.  They did beat Ole Miss.  But go ahead and downplay them as a nobody, and you still got Todd Reesing completing 32-38 for 400+ IN THE FREAKING RAIN!

I bolded the important part there. UCF played really well--for UCF. On that night, they probably could've taken care of Ole Miss. They hate us that much.

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

I would like to know truly how good KU is, because the KU fans seem overly confident, mainly citing our less than stellar performance against UCF, but it appears to me that they have not played anyone yet this season, home games against FIU and LaTech, and they are touting these stats as another reason for beating us.  I am sure their opponents would not fare well against @UCF, especially if they were wearing USF jerseys.

My main worries are special teams and turnover ratio.

So on paper, considering intangibles, and no bias (hopefully), how do the two teams stack up against eachother for this Friday?

we will find out friday night

• Content Count:  637

Grothe had 115 yards in barely over 1 quarter in the first game in the same wet conditions, but we don't play our QB when he doesn't need to be in the game.

It's hard to look at stats on this one because we let up in our first blowout, while they left their QB in to pad his stats (throwing 52 times in a 30 point win).

Personally, I regard both USF and Kansas as top 10 caliber teams that are both enigmas.

USF is an enigma for reasons we've all talked about (Special teams, Poor playcalling at the end of the games and by the OC in general), while Kansas is an enigma because their QB looks as good as any QB in the country right now; but he's played nobody this year and was left in the game for blowouts. At the same time, they had a terrible OOC schedule last year and dodged most of the good Big 12 teams last year. They won the Orange Bowl though, so apparently that makes them the real deal to 99% of Kansas fans. Yet, I'm still not sold. A nice bowl win does not mean a team the next year is great, and a bad bowl loss does not mean a team is bad (WVU had a great bowl game, look what happened; we had a terrible bowl game and it appears we could win the BE).

My main worries are special teams and turnover ratio.

So on paper, considering intangibles, and no bias (hopefully), how do the two teams stack up against eachother for this Friday?

we will find out friday night

Write this down people... Genius.

• Content Count:  127

Grothe had 115 yards in barely over 1 quarter in the first game in the same wet conditions, but we don't play our QB when he doesn't need to be in the game.

Personally, I regard both USF and Kansas as top 10 caliber teams that are both enigmas.

USF is an enigma for reasons we've all talked about (Special teams, Poor playcalling at the end of the games and by the OC in general), while Kansas is an enigma because their QB looks as good as any QB in the country right now; but he's played nobody this year and was left in the game for blowouts. At the same time, they had a terrible OOC schedule last year and dodged most of the good Big 12 teams last year. They won the Orange Bowl though, so apparently that makes them the real deal to 99% of Kansas fans. Yet, I'm still not sold. A nice bowl win does not mean a team the next year is great, and a bad bowl loss does not mean a team is bad (WVU had a great bowl game, look what happened; we had a terrible bowl game and it appears we could win the BE).

its really going to suck for you guys to lose this game

Here's to you losing and then going on to win your remaining games.

We need to get our SOS up.

:)

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Kansas is better then UCF or Tenn-Martin but not as good as Georgia (neither is the rest of the top 23) - hope this clears it up.  :-X

Archived