how much has the loss of Coach McCarney affected our DLine play?

TRUTH D. Antagonist

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

There is a reason the gators stole him from us..

Because you always get all the credit for how well an All-American plays...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,260

We may miss McCarney...but we also really miss RIchard Clebert. McClain and Genus have had a good start, but once they really get it going, the edge rushers will be alright...

• Content Count:  10,219

a lot.

but he encouraged a lot of risk taking and that lead to more sacks but less run stopping

• Content Count:  4,016

Good grief folks watch the games much?  I just got done watching the replay of UCF and our DL did a great job getting pressure.  The only problem we had, or rather the thing that has happened the past two games, is our opponents have been rolling the pocket, rolling the QB out, doubling and tripling Selvie, and doing lots of three step drop quick hitters.  In the past two games I can count on one hand the amount of times both teams have dropped the QB into a five step drop into a traditional pocket.  And each time they did that we got solid pressure from both Buie, and crew.  I'll take that all night long if possible.  When teams drop 3 steps and throw quick hitters it lessens their potential to grab huge chunks of yards and exploit our young corners.  Against Reesing that won't be the case as much because they run a spread, but against NCST, FIU, Pitt, and Cuse that is going to give those teams fits since none run spreads, and none have very mobile QB's.

You've also got to talk about the art of playing DL.  Against UCF Buie was playing Greco who is right handed so he was in Greco's sightline.  You do no speed rush the edge in that situation, when you do that unless you've got contain with an OLB on that side, or the DT is stunting, you'll get burned.  All night Buie was shoving UCF's OT right into Greco's sightline and causing problems.  In that situation Buie cannot edge rush, trying to go around the OT because Greco would just run around him.

Marshall played against UCF and looked pretty good at end, and Robinson was solid too, less effective as Selvie but solid.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Got a feeling we'll see a lot of McCarney down the line.  As the HC at Syracuse or UCF.

Guys, our defense DOMINATED both games this year.  Amateurish coaching, short fields to defend and a frenzied stadium made for three minutesd of hell.  What happenned after the TV timnout and break at the end of regulation. . . . . . 4 and out.  IMO, our DL is where it needs to be.

• Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

I think our D-Line as a whole is better this year. I would like to see more production from opposite of Selvie, not sure if Buie is that guy or not.

McClain and Genus have been great. There was one play where a UCF back almost broke out of the backfield with a lot of daylight as our LBs were in coverage and McClain broke out of a block and brought down the runner. Those two guys are going to be awesome.

We were weak against the run last year in my opinion. Sure, the Steve Slaton type speed backs don't give us a lot of trouble, but we didn't have a chance to stop Ray Rice, Mario Fanin (except he fumbled a lot), or Jon Stewart. I feel much better about that so far this year.

• Content Count:  4,016

truth be told-- we haven't faced any Ray Rice type backs thi year either-- so the jury is still out on that issue

also-- everyone keeps leaving Harris out of the equation-- big mistake imo

Harris is a good one too.  Didn't have his best game against UCF though, odd considering the fact the two previous years he tore them up accounting for like 4 sacks, and 5.5 TFL in those two games against UCF.  He's the guy that got the immediate penetration up the field on Greco on the 4th down play that forced Greco to scramble.  He would have had the sack if he didn't bite on a weak-ass Greco pump fake that got him to jump.  If you watch the UCF game the surge from the middle of the line was massive against UCF all night.  Remember UCF employed some very experienced interior linemen, in Hafferty, Devane, and Lavoie....all are seniors with loads of experience.  They were manhandled by our interior three.

• Content Count:  515

Our dline looks great so far.  Teams are doing to us what we did to them not to long ago.  I remember watching Blackwell on tv with the little clock showing how quickly he got rid of the ball.  Our upset of Pitt in 2001 was a result of this.  You take away the pass rush by getting rid of the ball quickly, or by throwing the pass to the rb over the rushing DE.  UTM did alot of this.  We have shut down both teams, period.  The only reason UCF was in it was because of breakdowns in our kick/punt coverage.  Other than that it would have been 45-10 at best.  Our dline is disrupting what teams do.  That can only help out our secondary as they have to defend for less time.  The only question that we need answered is can we stop the big back rush first teams.

• Content Count:  115

ucf did a lot of rollouts to avoid  sacks, and selvie barely played a quarter or 2 against tenn martin

I have to agree with this I believe our first two opponent’s game planned with rollouts and quick two or three step drops... I expect to see much of the same as the season progresses, just keep stuffing the run and third and long will open up more and more sack opportunities.  Anyone that re-watched that UCF game saw Selvie was an absolute monster; even with the quick drops/rollouts and constant double teams.  There is no doubt in my mind that McCarney is missed as he was a great coach, but we are playing well up front and will get better as we progress through the season.

• Content Count:  115

truth be told-- we haven't faced any Ray Rice type backs thi year either-- so the jury is still out on that issue

also-- everyone keeps leaving Harris out of the equation-- big mistake imo

I agree, but do any of the teams we have on our schedule this year have that type of back in the backfield?  Thinking about it the only guy in that class McCoy at Pitt, and I love that matchup as we have them at home during a short week.  Plus well there is the whole dave wannstedt factor.  Who else has a big powerhouse stud in their backfield in the Big East?  Not counting us of course.

Archived