Zach Hermann Out for Kansas Game

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

any word on if popek will get some looks?

I seriously doubt that. if we sustain a couple of more injuries to our OL down the road, Leavitt might reconsider his position about redshirting him or one of the other freshmen.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  2

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  5

When will the injuries end?!? this will be a long season

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

calm down

• Content Count:  971

The silver lining to all this is that if we had to suffer an O-line injury, at least it happened on a Monday, which allows for plenty of reps with the new rotation.  Would have been more concerned had it happened later in the week.

• Content Count:  4,016

I might add that if you had to lose a lineman against KU, it would be best to lose a center or guard. While we do send Mortensen and Rivera on blitzes regularly through the middle, we have little experience at defensive tackle. We have size in the middle, but we lost our lone upperclassman DT to injury for a few games.

The guy that is moving in (Sims), has been considered a "sixth starter" by the coaching staff.  After that, it gets dicey.  If we lose anyone else, there is a good possibility we'll be using a true freshman on the line.  If we lose someone else on the interior, I would think we would move one of our more experienced guys in, and play a young guy at tackle. The coaching staff seems to favor inside protection, and let Grothe try and deal with guys coming off the edge if need be.

From what I have heard is that Warren is pretty close to battle ready.  He's played enough and is tested.  After Warren then the best options are true frosh.

and don't forget McCaskill

Really?  I haven't heard much confidence in McCaskill.  Maybe his brother at DT, but Kevin still doesn't quite get it yet.  But I have heard very positive stuff about Warren and Sims.  To the point that both were right there with the starters in terms of ability and readiness (although Warren was nicked up in pre-season).  After those two the drop-off is massive.  Quite honestly, after those two my bet the next is Estenor.  He doesn't know s--t but physically imposing, and a real slobber knocker.  He may not do it right but what he does do is good enough to get by because he's very athletic, powerful, and has excellent feet.

Let's not discuss those options further though! :-X

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

Greg's blog has it, too...  =(

This is terrible.  I mean it was bound to happen, but we really don't need to lose anyone from the OL.  At least we have 5 starter-quality guys left...

I assume he'll miss through the Pitt game and be back for "homecoming" against Syracuse.

usf should be 3 deep in oline

• Content Count:  4,642

at least he'll only miss one "big" game.  if you look at our upcoming schedule it is by far our easiest stretch of a few weeks with a bye thrown in there, so hopefully he'll be back in time for the second half of the season.

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

injuries are expected

why dont we have quality depth for oline?????

when will leavitt answer these questions?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

What I noticed in the UCiF game (and others before it) was when Grothe ends up with a lot of time to pass and he holds onto the ball a while, he gets antsy and starts taking off before he has to, sometimes rolling straight towards pressure. Just something I've noticed with him, he's more comfortable on the run than standing in the pocket IMO

That must have been it... granted I was blitzed myself on Pumpkin Beer... during my drunken stupor it appeared that he was running right into piles and into the arms of defenders, just appeared to be poor O-Line like you said.

Archived