Kansas has...

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I think it will be a hard fought game that will come down to the wire... should be one for the ages.

Depends on which USF team shows up... the one that almost lost to UCiF or the one that beat Auburn and WV last year.

You should preface that with the USF team that nearly lost the UCiF game in the last 3 minutes.  The team that was playing in the last 3 minutes didn't even look like the same crew that played in the first 57.  Keep in mind, that up to the point of Grothe's INT, we had 494 yards total offense to their 140. 

I want the team that showed up in those first 3.5 quarters last week, not the surprising party crasher in the last 3.

• Content Count:  40

In terms of running against KU, the best thing you can do is let Grothe get the yards. If there's one weakness with this defense, it's that they sometimes play soft against running QB. Against Virginia Tech, our staff decided to change that philosophy and go after Tyrod Taylor every time he touched the ball. KU got some nice sacks and forced a crucial turnover (for a TD).

Zac Robinson and a few others had success running the ball against KU on broken pass plays. I'd expect Jim to take advantage of this weakness especially since Grothe is the best ball-carrier on your team. It's not that KU lacks speed on defense, it's that sometimes they over or under-pursue. The ends to a great job of containing, but sometimes the LB and safeties don't get the best angles on ball-carriers.

• Content Count:  63

2 first-team BIG XII linebackers (#40 Mike Rivera 6-3 255) (#8 Joe Mortensen 6-1 250)

1 first-team BIG XII Kick Returner (Marcus Herford)

---------------------

Here's how I would run on Kansas:

Taylor to the left. Ford and Kelley to the right. Ford leads and Kelley follows with the ball --The truck leads the bus!

I'll do an update based off of what I have seen from the rest of the Big XII and our team.

Reesing is probably the third best quarterback in the Big XII behind Daniel and Bradford...but that's definitely not a bad thing.

Dezmon Briscoe is looking like first team all Big XII receiver right now...and Fields is our starter, so he might be up there too, but we haven't seen much of him cus the injury.

Cantrell, our center, was a stud last season, and all signs point to him getting conference recognition.

No real standouts on the defensive line, but they are very cohesive and efficient together.

Holt, Rivera, and Mortenson all have a chance to be first team Big XII players...I would say 2/3 will get in with a good season, and maybe 1 could be all-american.

If Chris Harris keeps improving like he did last year, he will move from the all freshman team, to all Big XII..

Darrell Stuckey is looking like a top 5 safety so far this year...he plays SS for us, but we also have put him at KR this year, that's how fast he is.

Herford has been pretty sloppy so far this season at KR, but if Patterson keeps returning punts he will be fighting Maclin for some conference recognition.

• Content Count:  14

2 first-team BIG XII linebackers (#40 Mike Rivera 6-3 255) (#8 Joe Mortensen 6-1 250)

---------------------

Taylor to the left. Ford and Kelley to the right. Ford leads and Kelley follows with the ball --The truck leads the bus!

As far as Herford is concerned.  He has been great in year's past but muffed two balls in the first game of the season while our punt returner (true freshman) Daymond Patterson is looking like the second coming of Dante Hall already.  He was 1st team All-Texas as a return man, but was overlooked by all the big schools due to his height (5' 8" listed).  He took one back in his first game and Mangino (to my surprise being that Herford was first team all Big XII) decided that against LA Tech that we would go back to the old fashioned 2 KR style (one on each side).  So you'll be kicking to Patterson if you kick off to the left and you'll be kicking to Herford on the right.  I'll just let you know now . . .  Kick it to the right.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I think it will be a hard fought game that will come down to the wire... should be one for the ages.

Depends on which USF team shows up... the one that almost lost to UCiF or the one that beat Auburn and WV last year.

You should preface that with the USF team that nearly lost the UCiF game in the last 3 minutes.  The team that was playing in the last 3 minutes didn't even look like the same crew that played in the first 57.  Keep in mind, that up to the point of Grothe's INT, we had 494 yards total offense to their 140. 

I want the team that showed up in those first 3.5 quarters last week, not the surprising party crasher in the last 3.

I'll agree with you to a point, but special teams needs to make a big improvement!

• Content Count:  6,588
  • Days Won:  2

I'll agree with that

• Content Count:  63

---------------------

As far as Herford is concerned.  He has been great in year's past but muffed two balls in the first game of the season while our punt returner (true freshman) Daymond Patterson is looking like the second coming of Dante Hall already.  He was 1st team All-Texas as a return man, but was overlooked by all the big schools due to his height (5' 8" listed).  He took one back in his first game and Mangino (to my surprise being that Herford was first team all Big XII) decided that against LA Tech that we would go back to the old fashioned 2 KR style (one on each side).  So you'll be kicking to Patterson if you kick off to the left and you'll be kicking to Herford on the right.  I'll just let you know now . . .  Kick it to the right.

For some reason Patterson has not been returning kick-offs for us. We have had Stuckey back there with Herford....don't know why, but after seeing Stuckey chase down La Tech's speedster it's starting to make a little more sense.

• Content Count:  14

---------------------

As far as Herford is concerned.  He has been great in year's past but muffed two balls in the first game of the season while our punt returner (true freshman) Daymond Patterson is looking like the second coming of Dante Hall already.  He was 1st team All-Texas as a return man, but was overlooked by all the big schools due to his height (5' 8" listed).  He took one back in his first game and Mangino (to my surprise being that Herford was first team all Big XII) decided that against LA Tech that we would go back to the old fashioned 2 KR style (one on each side).  So you'll be kicking to Patterson if you kick off to the left and you'll be kicking to Herford on the right.  I'll just let you know now . . .   Kick it to the right.

For some reason Patterson has not been returning kick-offs for us. We have had Stuckey back there with Herford....don't know why, but after seeing Stuckey chase down La Tech's speedster it's starting to make a little more sense.

We have.  Patterson was back there.

Archived