Keith Clanton schedules visit to USF

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

:D  When did Reggie change his last name?   ::)  Vega, the kid is, what, 18 years old?  It's a big decision.  I would rather a kid take his time and make a good decision rather than decide on pure emotion.  Still, I wish he wouldn't keep saying, "I will decide by _______" and then not decide by then.  Is anyone else surprised that the Orlando Slantinel published incorrect information in its sports pages?   ::) 

USF just got a boost from the waiver thing, it would be nice to get Clanton to stay on a roll, but I have a feeling we will be looking at a better neighborhood of recruits in next year's early signing period if Gilchrist and Mercer give us the boost we think they will.

Normal

You are so very much right Normal when it comes to Clanton's point of view. Very opposite story for USF.

As I have said and you reiterated, USF might not have to put of with this on guys like Clanton. Once we start winning we will have a much bigger pool of talent to evalurate, recruit, and sign.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Regardless, if he signs with us, it is one more step in the right direction, and can get us to where we want to be sooner than waiting one more recruiting class.  Just keep your fingers crossed.  As long as he hasn't committed elsewhere, we are in the game.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/11/clanton-decisio.html

Clanton decision may not come this week

Waiting to see if Orlando power forward Keith Clanton will sign with Stan Heath and USF when the early signing period begins Wednesday? You're probably going to have to wait a few more days.

Clanton, a top priority in Heath's recruiting efforts, has narrowed his choices to USF and Central Florida, but is torn enough that he likely won't announce his decision until next week, according to Orlando Christian Prep coach and former USF guard Reggie Kohn. The signing period begins Wednesday and continues through Nov. 19, and Kohn said he expects Clanton to sign during the early period.

The Bulls are expected to get two signings on Wednesday in guards Jordan Dumars (son of former Pistons great Joe Dumars) and Shaun Noriega.

Just end it already. I have to say normally the home school benefits when a prospect is having a hard time deciding. Of course this has been anything but normal.

• Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

^ I agree with your sentiments, its ridiculous.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Honestly I could understand why a football player would choose UCF over USF more than I could understand why a basketball player would opt for UCF (Speraw and CUSA) over USF (Heath and BE).

IMO, if this kid chooses UCF, he bever had that much confidence in himself in the first place.  Or UCF got way out ahead of everyone else on Clanton's recruitment.

Arguably, BE basketball is the best in the country (7 in top 25). . . . . what's up with this kid?

actually, i think opposite of that carolina... why would anyone want to play for a doormat?  Sure you could help turn that around... but we haven't proven we can do anything with good recruits, yet.

At least Leavitt has sent players to the NFL. 

I think Stan is up against a wall in recruiting... if he doesn't break through in the next couple years... we won't have to worry about a hot seat, he'll leave out of frustration.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

actually, i think opposite of that carolina... why would anyone want to play for a doormat?  Sure you could help turn that around... but we haven't proven we can do anything with good recruits, yet.

At least Leavitt has sent players to the NFL. 

I think Stan is up against a wall in recruiting... if he doesn't break through in the next couple years... we won't have to worry about a hot seat, he'll leave out of frustration.

So he chooses UCF hoops because he likes to win games?  Please.

USF hoops has sent players to the NBA as well. . . . . so has Heath.  Are there any UCF guys playing in the NBA?

BTW, UCF crushes USF in terms of alumni currently playing in the NFL.  Not to mention, arguably the best wr in the game is a knight. . . . I stand by my claim that it is easier to understand why a kid would choose UCF over USF for football than basketball.

CUSA was memphis and a bunch of weak sisters (USF beat 2nd place UAB last year. . . . and beat down UCF).  Furthrmore, CUSA basketball behemoth Memphis would trip over itself to get to BE.

A choice for UCF is choice to take the path of least resistance, you and I seem to agree on that.  Sounds like the type of guy that rolls out to clubs with a posse of dorks and ugly dudes so he doesn't have to sweat competition with regard to picking up ladies. . . . shrewd, but way lame.

If it is true that every player wishes to improve his game. . . . and if it is also true that playing directly against top competition is a great way to improve your game. . . . . . no player should choose UCF over USF (sorry Knight fans. . . read my posts, I respect your school).

If the goal of the player is to make the NCAA tournament and play in big time games in March... it is tough to argue that he has a better chance here than UCF, since as you said, it is memphis and no one else.  The chance of making the dance is higher for UCF than USF due to how tough our league is.

If you want to play against tough competition, by all means, you'd choose USF, b/c it doesn't get any tougher than what we have to go up against.

But if you look at the talent we are starting to get, maybe players might actually think they could be the guy that gets us over the hump into the tourney.  I can hope, right? 

But as Dickie V said... we are the toughest school to recruit for in the land due to our current budget for hoops, our competition, and our current status as the official doormat of the Big east.  It is very tough to shed that reputation and that reputation has a big impact on why players shy away from us.  UCF has made the tourney recently, even though I still think the years they went, we'd have beat them head to head.

Well this is the week that Mr. Clanton finally commits and signs with USF or UCF. Any time between now and Wednesday afternoon we will have the word.

• Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

Word is from UCF fans that he is going to commit to them. I believe it's more been discussed in the premium rivals board or something. I don't really care anymore about Keith.

Archived