Grothe Thinks Players Deserve A Cut Of Sales

ChiTownBull

Of course Grothe is going to want to get paid for Sales, he's being used to promote USF Football. But there is a fundamental change in college sports that would result from students being paid outside of a scholarship. Recruiting would change, what schools students would pick would change, and I think the overall excitement level for college football would be diminished.

And I don't know about every student athlete, but many would be eligible for Bright Futures if they come from in state. That's another 100% tuition scholarship which stacks with their other scholarships. And if their parents did the smart thing and bought Florida Prepaid when the student athlete was young.

Many of these athletes are minorities, and the shear amount of minority scholarships out there is staggering. Even if they are white, there is still a lot of essay and grade based scholarships out there to achieve. What I'm getting at is, a smart student (or at least smart parents who push their sons, like mine) will go out and seek scholarship opportunities, because they are everywhere. I am a white, do not come from a middle class family, and can not trace any history to an ethnicity, but I still managed to bank about $3k a semester OVER full tuition.

And to those who give the "they're SOL if they don't go pro then!!"... get a degree in engineering or science or business, apply yourself and work hard, and you'll be making very good money. Some people invest so much stock in their football careers that they have no backup. That's just stupid.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Bull94:  you clearly didn't read my post.  Most D1 football programs do NOT make money.  Those that do use it for other athletic programs.  The only 2 sports that are even potentially profitable at any school are football and basketball, and only a handful make money on both.  Think about how many sports there are at a University that don't make money.  Volleyball, track, soccer, baseball, etc. 

I'll say this again:  they are student athletes.  That means they choose to play football for scholarship money.  If they are good students they can get all the same scholarships that every other student gets.  By Bull94's definition of playing a sport in college, every student that receives a scholarship is an indentured servant.  It's no different than having a job...except you get to play a game.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Ahhh, Issues in Sport.  Nice 3000 level class.  My friend and I both took it at the same time.  We did all of the quizes together.  I'd do one while looking at the book, mark down the ones I got wrong, and then he'd take the same one.  For the next quiz, he would take it first and I would get the answers.  We did all of the quizes during a Sunday afternoon.  I did the forum posts over the course of 2-3 weeks.  I got a 92 in the class.

Take it.

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Ahhh, Issues in Sport.  Nice 3000 level class.  My friend and I both took it at the same time.  We did all of the quizes together.  I'd do one while looking at the book, mark down the ones I got wrong, and then he'd take the same one.  For the next quiz, he would take it first and I would get the answers.  We did all of the quizes during a Sunday afternoon.  I did the forum posts over the course of 2-3 weeks.  I got a 92 in the class.

Take it.

Nice.  I actually studied for every quiz and didn't find out until the exam was coming up that all the answers were in the back of the book.  I had a below average (compared to the class) score on most quizzes but a much higher average on the exam...funny how that works =)

Great class, and an easy A.  Bill Curry is awesome.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bull94:  you clearly didn't read my post.  Most D1 football programs do NOT make money.  Those that do use it for other athletic programs.  The only 2 sports that are even potentially profitable at any school are football and basketball, and only a handful make money on both.  Think about how many sports there are at a University that don't make money.  Volleyball, track, soccer, baseball, etc. 

I'll say this again:  they are student athletes.  That means they choose to play football for scholarship money.  If they are good students they can get all the same scholarships that every other student gets.  By Bull94's definition of playing a sport in college, every student that receives a scholarship is an indentured servant.  It's no different than having a job...except you get to play a game.

windbane you didn't read mine. most BCS football programs absolutely make money. In fact a boatload of it. Maybe not all athletic departments do but I think playing a sport (especially a non-revenue sport that can't support itself) is a priveledge not a right. And that priveledge should be paid for by it's participants not paid for by money earned by football and basketball players. How many billions did CBS pay for the tournament? how about we give each kid a cut of that?

Nobody finds it a crime that Miles Brand makes $900k a year ? Do people buy his jersey's? Do they spend thousands on donations, tickets, travel to see him play the sport?? What about all the conference big wigs? How much does tranganese get paid? Our A.D. makes a nice chunk as do our coaches. Those aren't the people we pay to see play the game.

No every scholarship recipient isn't an indentured servant. they don't bring in Millions of dollars for people to watch them study.

You're right, it is no different than a job therefore they should be paid for it. The SEC just signed a deal with ESPN for Billions of dollars to watch their unpaid athletes play.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Here is my view.  If you want to get paid, then go pro.

If you cannot go pro, then take your free education and shut TFU.

There is no room for a hybrid system. 

Archived