Grothe Thinks Players Deserve A Cut Of Sales

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

I love MG's tenacity and leadership on the field and am proud to have him as part of our team. That being said....I know he's still young...but after reading the transcripts of several of his interviews including this one, I kinda wish the kid would keep his thoughts to himself because it's hurting my opinion of him.  :-\ (I can't be the only one...)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,981

I felt better about Grothe before this article.  Stay focused on your success not your jersey sales. 

I agree with you. Even though I'm for stipends, he needs to stay focus. I'm not liking a lot of the quotes he is giving the press.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I think players that have their jerseys sold for $60.00 bucks a pop deserve a cut of sales but I'm against handing out money just because they play on the team.

• Content Count:  4,142
  • Days Won:  1

He is absolutely right.  USF sells its tickets through using Grothe's mug on billboards (2 years in a row) and sells number 8 jerseys simply because Grothe made the number famous.  If Grothe has a creer ending injury, he get's free USF schooling for the duration of his eligibility and pretty much the shaft after that.  USF just starts selling number 7 jerseys and starts pimping out BJ Daniels to sell its ****.

Two summers ago, USF had Grothe 's mug on billboards around town while he was slinging drinks at a bar just to get by . . . . . shameful **** if you ask me.

What a crock of ****... you think he wants to come down off of those billboards?  PLEASE...  he loves it.

• Content Count:  92

I kinda wish the kid would keep his thoughts to himself because it's hurting my opinion of him.  :-\ (I can't be the only one...)

You're not.  I've felt for some time that he needed to be taught some interviewing skills.  Sometimes I cringe when I hear him - yes, he's young and I always take that into account.  But, I have to say that this is over the top.  To me, he sounds like a spoiled kid.  I realize that there are arguments on both sides of this issue so it really debating it won't change anything.  I would hope, though, that Grothe would receiving some sage counseling about how his verbalized thoughts may be perceived.  If he wants to play in the big time, he has to realize that everything that comes from his mouth will be analyzed and probably used against him.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,060
  • Days Won:  488

Matt should get some advice, and keep some thoughts to himself. 

He also needs to be aware that his "fame" will draw all types.  Hence, the beer slinging incident, and stories like this. 

What sort of a dumb line of questioning is this to ask a quarterback about to play the #13 team in the country amid what could be a march to the team's first ever BCS Bowl?  Or conversely, a team that narrowly escapes a team that Grothe himself put down repeatedly, why would he be asked about jersey sales?  To stir the pot?  Aren't there more interesting topics you'd like to hear about?

Grothe should know how to politely shut down reporters that want to go that far off topic into a potentially demoralizing or controversial issue among players and their schools.  Sounds to me like Grothe was exploited and didn't know it.  The reporter should come up with better "in-season" topics to cover and leave this kind of stuff for the off season.  The difference between Grothe and the reporter, besides pure talent, is age.  I expect a little more real reporting than this sort of regurgitated, recycled stuff that has no positive benefit to any party.  Just negative.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  5

Grothe is far off on this one.. I do think collegiate athletes should get compensated monetarily, but one player should not get more than others. they all put in the same amount of time in practice that keeps them from being able to have jobs. How many jerseys you sell should have nothing to do with it.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

He is absolutely right.  USF sells its tickets through using Grothe's mug on billboards (2 years in a row) and sells number 8 jerseys simply because Grothe made the number famous.  If Grothe has a creer ending injury, he get's free USF schooling for the duration of his eligibility and pretty much the shaft after that.  USF just starts selling number 7 jerseys and starts pimping out BJ Daniels to sell its ****.

Two summers ago, USF had Grothe 's mug on billboards around town while he was slinging drinks at a bar just to get by . . . . . shameful **** if you ask me.

I kind of second that. I think all players should get some kind of cut, but not out of Jersey sales. Not everyone's number is sold, so the balance is unfair. Kid's risk so much on the field for nothing. In return atleast the college board could give them minimum wage salary for it.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I kind of second that. I think all players should get some kind of cut, but not out of Jersey sales. Not everyone's number is sold, so the balance is unfair. Kid's risk so much on the field for nothing. In return atleast the college board could give them minimum wage salary for it.

A free education and all the academic help they need to get a degree should be enough.  Think about how many people are going to have to pay back loans when they get out, the players don't have to worry about that.  A free university level education and a degree that can get you a good job without debt should be enough.  Also it would be nearly impossible to come up with a plan that would be fair to the students and to smaller athletic departments where a change like this would have serious financial ramifications.  You have to remember not every athletic department could afford to pay their players and some programs would fold up as a result. 

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  5

Well i wouldn't call it a salary, they are not professionals. They should get "living expenses"

Archived