Grothe Thinks Players Deserve A Cut Of Sales

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,279
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah, that's what the NCAA and its member schools say (probably wringing their hands and shaking their heads at the same time).  After they point out the obvious "slippery slope", they do the only honorable thing you can do with the money at that point . . . . keep it.

of course they keep it.  and the schools then use the revenues to improve facilities that benefit the training and conditioning of players as well as fund marketing campaigns that bring the players more exposure.

if Grothe was playing for some diddlef*ck DII school with no facilities and little to no marketing, he may not be the athlete he is today, and certainly wouldn't have the media exposure he's gotten from USF.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I am 100% opposed to amatuer athetes getting paid.  College athletes should not be paid regardless of what they can/cannot brign to the table.

The slippery slope this will create is ridiculous.

Imagine a lineman who doesn't get paid, protecting Grothe.  Maybe he needs money to support his parents, family, kids, etc.  But he cannot get paid while he is working just as hard to protect Grothe.

Then imagine schools who will begin marketing players rather than the program, to be able to pay a kid more as part of their "recruitment" promise.  

These kids are getting free education.  Many don't qualify for academic scholarshiips in any form, the only reason they are on a free ride is football (or whatever sport they play).  They are lucky to be getting a college education.

I have seen stats which indicate that approximately 1% of high school athletes will go on to college athletics.  And only approx 1% of college athletes will go on to become a Pro.  Consiider last years team.  Only Mike Jenkins is in the NFL.  Trae was cut by the Jags and Moffitt failed to make the Houston team.  I'd say for USF it is less than 1%.

College athletics is their road to a degree, the road most of us had to pay for.  They get a free ride.   They don't have to work in college (unless they want spending money).  In fact, if they get high enough grades, a combination of academic and sports scholarships can put money in their pocket each semester.   So they should work hard on the field and in class, and they will do great once college is over.   But the majority will not have a shot at the Pros.

Besides, getting paid is what is wrong with the NFL and why I rarely watch it.  Frickent Terrell Owens, Ricky Williams, etc... These guys are idiots and big overpaid babies. 

The only thing I would be in partial favor of, is possibly a team fund which allowed a maximum of xx dollars if a team won a conference title or made it to a bowl game.  Maybe something like $500 cut if either of these things happened.  To all players on a team, not a single or a select few players.  Then it is more like the real world where results matter and you only pay on results....

I am vehemently opposed to paying college athletes....  

remember, the NFL is not the only professional option for players after college...  there is the AFL, CFL, coaching, etc.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  6,593
  • Days Won:  37

Just an interesting fact, NFL players do NOT get paid for their jersey sales. (At least thats the way it was a few years ago).

Just an interesting fact, NFL players do NOT get paid for their jersey sales. (At least thats the way it was a few years ago).

good point. 

• Content Count:  2,213

Matt's dad mentiioned that, thankfully, his cell plan called for unlimited texts, etc., otherwise it could have been an expensive week ...

The immediate monetary benefits of Matt's celebrity:  To everyone but the Grothe

The immediate monetary burdens of Matt's celebrity:  To nobody but the Grothe

Congrats on avoiding a slippery slope NCAA and opting for clear cut injustice

• Content Count:  2,213

good point. 

bad point.

NFL players cut their own deal:  Players, Inc.  Plus they have the negotiating clout of the NFLPA.  Grothe has to resort to his dad grousing about a cell phone bill . . . to no avail.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Pay the Players!! absolutely. did anybody see that monster contract the SEC just signed? does anybody think it's wrong that corey brewer played at UF while his parents lived in a dilapidated trailer while his coach pulls in $3.5M a year? Granted he went on to the NBA but most don't.

All BCS schools should set up a fund where a scholarship player for a revenue producing sport is given a $10k (at least) bonus for graduating. 25 graduates a year for football = $250k. Our head coach makes well over a million dollars.

How much do some of these coaches get paid (Millions) and yet they have kids that come from poor families that work their tails off for little or nothing.

• Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

If you want to make it fair, then pay EVERY player the same stipend amount. It doesn't matter if the school sells 8,000 Grothe shirts he would still get the same stipend as the back up QB. The stipend should be the same in every school, adjusted for the cost of living of each city.

As for the "free education" argument, there are many students that get a free ride and that do not have to put 20 hours of work a week towards that scholarship. So that "free education" is not really free, is just discounted.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,867
  • Days Won:  494

I felt better about Grothe before this article.  Stay focused on your success not your jersey sales. 

Archived