Selected Quotes from Mangino/Team Press Conference

Brad

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,520
  • Days Won:  35

On containing South Florida defensive end George Selvie:

“There are a number of things in your entire offensive structure that you can do. There are some things that you can do with the players who are competing against him. He is awfully talented and a really good football player. But we feel pretty good in our matchup. We aren’t going to spend the whole night focusing on George Selvie. When you focus on one aspect of a team’s defense, if they have enough good players, they will hurt you somewhere else. You have to keep it in perspective. You want to do some things to keep Selvie from having a major impact on your offense, however there are so many other quality football players out there that you can’t just focus on one guy.â€

O'Leary said nearly the exact same thing and Selvie had a double nearly every play. I expect much of the same on Friday.

They have no choice but to double team Selvie on every play OR role the QB out of the pocket to the opposite side. Selvie is the fastest DE off the ball in all of college. There are maybe 3 OT's in the nation that could consistently stop him one on one. He may only be 245 pounds, but he gets great leverage, is strong, and is as fast as anyone I have seen at the position. I hope the other DE (whether it be Marshall or Buie) is able to get good, consistent pressure without over pursuing. That is the biggest key to victory.

The other comment Mangino made that piqued my interest was the fact that USF doesn't blitz a lot. I know we didn't blitz much at all the first two games (maybe 7 times total), but I wouldn't be surprised if we brought one of our LBs right up the middle on them quite often. They would not have much film on the blitz packages, and it would really disrupt the timing of their offense, which is predicated on a lot of short passes into space. They don't rely on Ressing to make long passes down field. Instead, they count on their WR's being good possession receivers and breaking off a few long runs after the catch. The tackling by our DBs will be a huge factor in this game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,019
  • Days Won:  109

Sounds like Mangini went to a school affilitated with where CJL learned to speak about opponents.  Yes, they're a really good team.  A lot of playmakers.  Should be a good game, a good test for our program.

Archived