The Bulls Will Run With Hall

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

Published Friday, October 1, 2004

The Bulls Will Run With Hall

By Patrick Zier

TAMPA

We may have caught a glimpse of USF's future Saturday at TCU, and his name is Andre Hall.

Hall, a junior running back, rushed 28 times for 119 yards. By college football standards, those are good numbers but not spectacular.

At USF, however, they are sensational. Consider. Hall's 28 carries are the most by any USF running back since the school entered Division I-A in 2001.

His yardage total is also the most by any USF running back since it started Division 1-A competition, and his 58-yard run is the longest non-scoring run from scrimmage in USF history. It ties for the longest run since the Bulls moved up to Division I-A.

Since Jim Leavitt began USF's football program in 1997, he has styled his offense to fit his players, and essentially, he has played a gun-the-ball-down-the-field offense because that's the kind of team USF had to be to win.

Particularly when compared to most Division I-A schools, USF simply didn't have the physical size and talent to run the ball consistently against anyone.

But if moving to the Big East next year is the next step for USF, and if, at some point in time, it aspires to compete with the Floridas, FSUs and Miamis of the football world, the offense must change.

The Bulls won't forget the forward pass, but they are not going to be able to depend on it almost totally to win, as they do now.

And Hall is the first real sign that USF may be developing the capability to do damage running the ball.

Leavitt has always been cautious when commenting on Hall's skills, being careful to keep things low-key, as he does with virtually all his players.

But there is no denying Hall is potentially a special player. Once he learns how to run, he has the quickness and moves to be a game-breaker.

That may seem like a strange comment, but even Hall will tell you it's true.

Against TCU, you could see there were times when Hall was simply too impatient once he got the ball.

"Before, all I did was run downhill, go straight for the gap" Hall said, referring to his high school and junior college days.

"This is the first time I've ever had to read blocks and read defenses. It's something I'm concentrating on.

"Coach Franks (running backs coach Carl Franks) has been working with me. I've got to learn to be more patient, to see how the play develops."

Provided he gets the help he needs from the offensive line, Hall has the potential to take the USF offense in a new direction.

And although he won't absolutely confirm it, Leavitt says Hall may take over as the Bulls' workhorse, carrying 25 times a game or more, which would mark a major change for USF.

"If he's productive, he could get that many carries," Hall said.

That would put a lot more run in USF's run-and-gun offense, and that's a good thing, because to be successful long term, USF can't just have its head in the clouds. It needs its feet on the ground, specifically, Hall's feet.

Patrick Zier is a Ledger correspondent. He can be reached at sports@theledger.com.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041001/COLUMNISTS0613/410010435/1113/SPORTS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Last quote has Andre Hall talking in third person about himself.

"If he's productive, he could get that many carries."

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I bet that is a typo by the ledger reporter... probably meant to type leavitt, not hall.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Jimmy jumps high.  Jimmy likes Elaine.

Classic Seinfeld episode!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

George is not happy!!!

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

run. hall is good, good stable of young RB

Guest BasketBull.
Jimmy jumps high.  Jimmy likes Elaine.

Classic Seinfeld episode!

;D You guys always crack me up. Thanks!  ;D

Velcro: How about, "George likes his Kung-pow chicken!"

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE AND THE FUTURE IS THE RUN!!!  RUN ANDRE RUN!!

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

a no brainer