Hello! Can we talk about Kansas? The game is FRIDAY!

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  148
  • Days Won:  0

One big thing we have to deal with is the KU defense.  UCF played us with a lot of emotion and there were a lot of "politics" with that game.  I'm also pretty sure from the 1st quarter on until about the start of the 3rd we were looking ahead.  UCF got their spirits lifted and we hard a hard time mentally checking back into the game.  That game was probably the best game they played in a few years. 

We must make sure to make our blocks against KU, receivers can't just cut off patterns and we need to catch all "catchable" passes.  KU's offense gets a lot of attention, but their defense is just as good. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BasketBull.

Here's how I see it:

If it's a shootout, I think we are going to be chasing them all night.

We need a running game more than ever; we have to keep their offense off the field.

And when they are on offense, we need to really go after the QB, something that we've not been able to do for a long time.

This game could go either way. Very scary.

Note to CJL: special teams could be the difference... It might come down to a field goal.

• Content Count:  12,293

im sure our defense will be just fine against the kansas qb.  they will have great practice since they have to chase BJ Daniels around in practice all week.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Daniels is much faster than Reesing.  As the KU fan pointed out, he has great elusiveness in the pocket, but don't count on him outrunning too many people, especially against our D.

Our teams are so similar it is friggin scary!!!!

Both QBs are undersized but play with will and heart.

Neither team relies on one RB to carry the load.

Both have a slew of receivers with big play ability.

We have a slight advantage in the O-line category due to our experience.  And there is a good chance, although I doubt it, that KU will start a rFr OT against Selvie.

Both D-lines have the ability to knock the QB out of the pocket.

Kansas has a slight edge in linebackers due to experience.  Mortensen is a monster!!!!

Both secondaries have first-rounders playing in the NFL right now.  The replacements have held their own for now.

Both teams have kickers who.... well.... aren't very good.

SCARY SCARY SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  33

Yeah don't begin to think that Reesing is much of a runner.  When he has to make plays with his feet he can but there won't be many designed plays to run him up the field.  He's a guy that will lay back long to get a pass down the field.  His awareness is second to none in the pocket.

KU will start two Freshmen tackles on Offense.  Both have looked good so far but also haven't had to go up against an AA like Selvie. 

I love Grothe's game.  Even though he and Reesing are similar I think he's much more similar to a QB KU had in 2002-2003.  In fact when I saw Grothe against KU a couple of years ago Whittemore is the first guy that came to mind.  Both were guys that had a knack for the big play. 

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah don't begin to think that Reesing is much of a runner.  When he has to make plays with his feet he can but there won't be many designed plays to run him up the field.  He's a guy that will lay back long to get a pass down the field.  His awareness is second to none in the pocket.

KU will start two Freshmen tackles on Offense.  Both have looked good so far but also haven't had to go up against an AA like Selvie. 

I love Grothe's game.  Even though he and Reesing are similar I think he's much more similar to a QB KU had in 2002-2003.  In fact when I saw Grothe against KU a couple of years ago Whittemore is the first guy that came to mind.  Both were guys that had a knack for the big play. 

Was Whittemore turnover prone?  Grothe has a tendency to give the ball away.

• Content Count:  33

Was Whittemore turnover prone?  Grothe has a tendency to give the ball away.

No he wasn't really.  He only had 12 picks in his two years at KU.  You have to remember Grothe is only a Junior now so his turnover problems should get better.  Grothe is a bit more of a runner than Whittemore but Whittemore had over 1000 yards rushing and 21 touchdowns on the ground his final two years at KU.  He came to KU from a JUCO. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=133224

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=173139

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I don't know if you ever saw our former QB Marquel Blackwell who was also considered undersized. He wasn't very fast, but knew how to pick up yards. He missed a real opportunity to break the all-time NCAA record of not throwing an interception when a 9-2 USF team was not picked to go to a Bowl game as an independent in 2002. He signed a FA contract with the Jets and did well in a couple of games in the preseason, but he was cut on opening day. He's now head coach at Freedom HS. Grothe should pick his brain. LOL 

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

If Grothe keeps putting the deep ball on the money like last week, we'll be fine. I don't think anyone can cover our receivers. Grothe may have to check down, but as deep as we are at WR, someone will get open if our OL holds up.

We need FORD back though. For those that don't think he is that important...Exhibit A, UCF 2008...Exhibit B, FAU 2007. That guy really pulls defenses, and makes things happen. If we go into this game with Mo and Kelly, it's going to be hard to keep things going. We need our full stable of backs, but Ford needs to get the bulk of the carries.

• Content Count:  63

I would say our defense is stronger than our offense for the time being, but that is mainly because they are a little more experienced. Our defense won't come out scared to play the game, but our offense might start off a little timid. While our OTs are young, they are still extremely big and gifted. I know Mangino will be all over their ass this week more than any other part of the team because of the sloppy running play we have had so far, as well as the talent you guys are bringing to the table on the D-line.....i just hope all that practice pays dividends in the game, but I guess we will have to wait to find that out.

That being said we still have a couple of questions regarding injuries on our defense for the time being...one of our starters at DT left the game with a knee injury, and one of our starting corners was hospitalized as a safety precaution, but released yesterday I believe. Mangino never likes to talk about injuries so we won't really know what our situation is regarding these kids until possibly a day before gametime. Thankfully we have a true freshman DT weighing in at 340+ who is supposed to do big things for us, and we have a couple of other corners who can step in without missing much of a beat. Also our top receiver missed last weeks game due to an ankle injury and we aren't positive he will play in Tampa just yet, but for some reason I am not too worried considering the fine play of our corps last weekend.

Just trying to give your fans a heads up regarding our team...i know there is obviously some homer bias in there, but it should give you an idea of how we will be starting off the game.

Archived