please cut the kicker

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone really think Bonani or Teachey is better than Delbert?  Don't you think Coach Leavitt would know best since he sees the competition every DAY in practice?

Do you really think Grothe is better than Pat Julmiste? Don't you think Coach Leavitt would know best since he saw the competition every day in practice?

Why did Grothe only get his shot once Julmiste went down with an injury? You mean a freshman QB was better than a two-year starter QB? So is it possible that a freshman kicker is better than a two-year starter kicker?

And practice is different than a real game. Obviously.

This isn't about bashing Alvarado. He is doing the best he can, and I appreciate his effort. This is about the coaching decision to start him.

that is BS. Grothe was planned to get in for the entire second half of that 1-AA game. They were neck and neck fort he starting job-- and this was after PJ had started most of the previous two seasons.

Don't believe that BS story about PJ having to get hurt to see Grothe get the job. He wasn't even all that banged up anyway. Grothe's performance in that gam and the next sealed the deal for him as starter-- but PJ getting hurt only made it happen 1 quarter earlier than planned

My point is that people are assuming that because Alvarado is the starting kicker, he is unquestionably the best kicker on the team. I used the PJ reference simply to bring out the point that the best player could be the one second on the depth chart.

I saw a quote about how Leavitt said Bonani was kicking well in practice. If he's kicking well at practice, why not give him a shot kicking in games? What, we might miss a field goal if we bring in the backup?  I'd say giving Grothe a shot his freshman year paid off, so they should give Bonani his shot.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone really think Bonani or Teachey is better than Delbert?  Don't you think Coach Leavitt would know best since he sees the competition every DAY in practice?

Do you really think Grothe is better than Pat Julmiste? Don't you think Coach Leavitt would know best since he saw the competition every day in practice?

Why did Grothe only get his shot once Julmiste went down with an injury? You mean a freshman QB was better than a two-year starter QB? So is it possible that a freshman kicker is better than a two-year starter kicker?

And practice is different than a real game. Obviously.

This isn't about bashing Alvarado. He is doing the best he can, and I appreciate his effort. This is about the coaching decision to start him.

that is BS. Grothe was planned to get in for the entire second half of that 1-AA game. They were neck and neck fort he starting job-- and this was after PJ had started most of the previous two seasons.

Don't believe that BS story about PJ having to get hurt to see Grothe get the job. He wasn't even all that banged up anyway. Grothe's performance in that gam and the next sealed the deal for him as starter-- but PJ getting hurt only made it happen 1 quarter earlier than planned

My point is that people are assuming that because Alvarado is the starting kicker, he is unquestionably the best kicker on the team. I used the PJ reference simply to bring out the point that the best player could be the one second on the depth chart.

I saw a quote about how Leavitt said Bonani was kicking well in practice. If he's kicking well at practice, why not give him a shot kicking in games? What, we might miss a field goal if we bring in the backup?  I'd say giving Grothe a shot his freshman year paid off, so they should give Bonani his shot.

I am sure they are now considering it

bare in mind also that Grothe was a RS Freshman, Bonani is a true Freshman

Yes, but kicking a field goal in college is pretty much the same as kicking a field goal in high school, where a quarterback having not only having to adjust to a new level of competition, but having to worry about picking up an entire new offense.

I believe you'll agree that it's easier/smarter to give a young kicker a chance rather than a young QB.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

the idea that leavitt didnt go out and get a kicker is mind boggling

leavitts decision to kick with 15 seconds left on 2nd down, knowing your kicker sucks, is mindboggling

yea i went ape **** on that call.

it depends on the kicker-- kicking in front of tousands of people is not something everyone can do

Love how the ESPN highlights are almost all UCF and they show ALVARDO--- pronounced-- according to ESPN AL-VAR-DOE (nice job clueless asshat). Terrible coverage of the game--- basically all you see is what happens in the last three minutes of the game/OT

That pretty much sums up my point. Some people can kick well in practice, but when they get in games in front of thousands of people, the pressure gets to them (apparantly like Alvarado). There are others that may not be the best, but the pressure makes them thrive. All we know is that Alvarado can't handle the pressure. We don't know about Bonani.

I found the ESPN coverage of the actual game to be pretty bad, and I am not suprised about their error in pronouncing a simple name. I agree about the highlights. ESPN also seems to have a wierd fascination for UCF, and I'm not sure exactly why. Because of Kevin Smith perhaps?

• Content Count:  1,457

it is ridiculous that we still cant make a field goal

I must say that the kicking gave for USF has been quite POOR for several years now.  I though I read that Gramatica was in camp helping Delbert with this form, style, and delivery?

If that is what Gramatica and Company can get accomplished then Delbert is not for USF.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I don't agree with bashing the kid, but do you people who are defending him truely believe that we don't have a kicker on this team who is better than 1 for 4?!

• Content Count:  111

I don't have any thing personal against delbert but he has demonstrated again and again and again that he can't get it done when it matters. If he had made either of his last two attempt we win the game without going to overtime. He cost us games last year, he almost cost us the UCF game this year he just can't do it. It's not that he is a bad kid he's just not a very talented field goal kicker.

Every time he walks on the field i get worried and I believe thats pretty standard among Bulls fans. We need to give someone else a shot because frankly they couldn't play much worst then Delbert. Although I have no big problem with him continuing to punt.

• Content Count:  22,539
  • Days Won:  51

I am probably one of the biggest "leave Alvarado alone" people out there but...  I say make him a straight punter only.  He can punt good and we need that.  To me on the field goals I think he can boom them straight on but I don't know why they always get him set up on the hash marks.  Then get a delay of game penalty?  Lord.

Anyway, let's get the new kicker some time just to see how he does.

• Content Count:  2,461

just stopped in to say... PLEASE replace him. Love the kid, but give him the punting duties, and that's it.

WE NEED A KICKER. Good special teams coverage would be nice, too.

• Content Count:  22,539
  • Days Won:  51

the idea that leavitt didnt go out and get a kicker is mind boggling

leavitts decision to kick with 15 seconds left on 2nd down, knowing your kicker sucks, is mindboggling

yea i went ape **** on that call.

I thought at least run a play to the middle of the field and then spike it instead of leaving him out on the far left.  Gah!!!  Then a delay of game??!  Horrible.

Oh and I heard ESPN call him ALVARDO twice last night.  Hacks.

Archived