Did Mark Rachels commit again?

Guest HowieP1

Maybe I should asked: Did we make him an offer this time?  ;D

Moore, Baldwin give UGA early success in recruiting

By Steve Gorten

Staff Writer

Posted September 28 2004

Fort Lauderdale · North Broward Prep receiver Mike Moore and American Heritage defensive back Donovan Baldwin didn't bother to take official visits to colleges.

The two recruits met at the University of Georgia's summer camp, and both have decided that's where they'll be next fall.

Moore and Baldwin said Monday they've orally committed to Georgia. In related news, Dillard lineman Mark Rachels committed to South Florida. While Moore's and Baldwin's decisions weren't linked, both cited promise of early playing time as a major factor.

"That was the place I was most comfortable with," Moore said. "I know I can make an impact. I'll definitely work my butt off."

Moore, originally recruited by the Bulldogs as a safety, said he's been told he will play strictly receiver and won't be redshirted as a freshman.

"No matter what, I'll be in there somehow," Moore said.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Moore, who had 46 catches for 828 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior, said he has already printed out Fred Gibson's freshman receiving records at Georgia and posted them on his bedroom wall for inspiration. North Broward Prep coach Maurice Dixon compares Moore to the Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald, largely because of his route running.

Baldwin, a four-year starter, also plays defense and offense, which is attractive to Georgia. The Bulldogs have made receiver and secondary priority positions in recruiting the past two seasons. Baldwin, who has good size (6-1, 180) for a corner, will work with defensive coordinator Brian Van Gorder, who was once coach at American Heritage.

"I think I'll fit in there well," Baldwin said.

While oral commitments are non-binding, Moore said he's "100 percent" sure about his decision and Baldwin said he won't change his mind.

"They wanted me from the beginning," Moore said. "I was waiting for Miami and it was taking long. I felt Georgia wants me, so I'm going to Georgia."

American Heritage coach Byron Walker said Miami and Florida showed interest in Baldwin, and Florida State had a coach come to see Baldwin last week.

"What it came down to for Donovan was that Georgia was willing to put [a scholarship] out there," Walker said.

Steve Gorten can be reached at sgorten@sun-sentinel.com.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/sfl-recruit28sep28,0,7841702.story?coll=sfla-highschool-headlines

Flashback for those who don't know:

By Daily News wire reports

August 22, 2004

Top recruit denies commiting to USF

TAMPA  Recruiting site Rivals.com reported Friday that USF had picked up its fourth oral commitment, but Mark Rachels, a 6-foot-7, 265-pound tackle from Fort Lauderdale Dillard, said that report is incorrect.

"I have not committed. South Florida is a school I'm really interested in and a high priority for me, but I haven't made any commitment," said Rachels, a 17-year-old who only started playing football as a high school sophomore.

Rachels said he has not even been offered a scholarship by USF coaches, though he is being recruited by the Bulls and attended a summer camp at USF in July. He also is considering Rutgers and South Carolina and said he won't be committing anywhere anytime soon.

"I'm going to wait until after my senior season is over and see what offers can come along," Rachels said.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,883
  • Days Won:  6

Commit is such a strong word for what these kids are doing.  "Indicating strong interest" may be better phrasing.