Q: Football rules for NCCA/NFL

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Those rules confuse me, especially when the game is on the line and I don't know what's going to happen next.

(1) Overtime:

What's the difference? I thought TCU had won the game after they scored firts...

(2) Pass interference:

A) 15 yards or spot of the foul?

B) If it's not catchable, is it still a foul?

C) What the heck is offensive pass interefence?

(3) Roughing the kicker:

Is is simply getting a piece of the ball first or the hitting the kicker without touching the ball?  

(4) Are these correct of NCAA?

a) Offside, 5 yards.

B) False start, 5 yards.

c) Roughing the passer, 15 yards.

c) Face mask, 15 yards.

d) Too many Bulls on the field, 5 yards.

THANKS!

I'll give it a shot.

NFL overtime is simply 15 minutes (an extra quarter) first one to score wins.  If no one does, the game ends in a tie.

College overtime is different.  Basically one team gets the ball on the 25 yard line and normal play ensues with the one exception that there is no game clock.  There is a 25 second play clock though to keep the game moving.  After the first team gets their shot, the second team gets theirs.  If the game is still tied after the first overtime, then the second team goes first in the next overtime period followed by the first team.  You still with me?  Starting in the third overtime if a team scores a TD they MUST go for the 2-point conversion.  The OTs keep going until the game (eventually) ends.  The teams alternate who goes first in each OT period.

Pass interference.  I think it all depends on where the PI happens.  To be honest I am not entirely sure what they do but usually it is a 15 yard penalty from the previous spot and an automatic first down.  If the PI happens in the end zone I think the ball is place on the 2 yard line.  It varies too much for me to make an accurate evaluation of how it is called.  If the ball is not catchable it is not supposed to be called but it is very subjective.  Pass interference occurs when a player (usually defensive) interferes with the offensive players attempt to catch the ball.  Basically there is the blatant PI where the defensive guy just mugs the WR.  Then there is the bump and push type of stuff.  Where it gets tricky is this - picture the play where the DB is providing good coverage on the WR, there is some contact but nothing severe and the DB is turning back looking for the ball.  In this case there shouldn't be a PI called because he was looking at the ball and the contact is assumed to be incidental.  In the same scenario the DB just runs at the WR, never looks back, puts his hands up and on the WR pushing him.  That is a classic PI.  A defensive player must always look back for the ball but even then he could still get called for PI.  Not looking back is almost a guarantee PI.  There can also be PI on the offense in a case where the ball is heading straight for a DB and the WR initiate contacts to the player to break up the pass.  Also, PI is called when contact is made to the WR/DB before the ball gets there (very subjective as well).

Roughing the kicker.  Two varities.  One is "running" into the kicker which is mild contact and then there is Roughing the kicker where he gets knocked around pretty good.  The running into the kicker is 5 yards while roughing is 15 and an automatic first down.  If a defensive player makes contact with the ball then he can knock the **** out of the punter!

4a - yes

4b - yes

4c - incidental face mask = 5 yards, personal foul face mask = 15.  Bascially incidental is where the hands briefuly brush over the face mask and a pulling is made but the defensive player lets go.  The personal foul variety is where the defender basically tackles the guy by holding on to the face mask all the way down.  USF tends to get mostly this type even though they all aren't worthy of it.

4d - yes, and when a team has 4th and 4 it gives them a first down too!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,587
  • Days Won:  13

Those rules confuse me, especially when the game is on the line and I don't know what's going to happen next.

(1) Overtime:

What's the difference? I thought TCU had won the game after they scored first...

It's not sudden death.  Teams alternate possessions from the 25-yard line until one team is ahead after both teams have had one posession.  There is a coin toss after each set of posessions.  Starting with the 3rd possession, teams must go for 2 on the PAT.

(2) Pass interference:

A) 15 yards or spot of the foul?

B) If it's not catchable, is it still a foul?

C) What the heck is offensive pass interefence?

A - If defensive pass interference occurs within 15 yards of the previous line of scrimmage, the offense gets an automatic first down at the spot of the foul.  If it happens more than 15 yards downfield, then it is a 15-yard penalty and automatic first down.

B - Catchable is in the opinion of the officials. From the rulebook: "When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable."

C - From the rulebook: (Team A = offense; Team B=defense_

Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. It is not offensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-VI, VII, XIII, XVIII and XIX):

1. When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible player immediately charges and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the neutral zone and does not continue the contact more than three yards beyond the neutral zone.

2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-XII).

3. When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not catchable.

(3) Roughing the kicker:

Is is simply getting a piece of the ball first or the hitting the kicker without touching the ball?  

From the rulebook:

Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder

ARTICLE 3. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 5-2-2-I and A.R. 9-1-3-I, III and VI).

1. Roughing is a personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.

2. Running into the kicker or holder is a foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-3-II).

3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.

4. The kicker and holder must be protected from injury, but contact that occurs when or after a scrimmage kick has been touched is not roughing or running into the kicker or holder.

5. The kicker of a scrimmage kick loses protection as a kicker when he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance (A.R. 9-1-3-IV).

6. A defensive player legally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is not exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder. A defensive player illegally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder.

7. When a player, other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick, runs into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.

8. When in question whether the foul is “running into’’ or “roughing,’’ the foul is “roughing.’’

(4) Are these correct of NCAA?

a) Offside, 5 yards.

B) False start, 5 yards.

c) Roughing the passer, 15 yards.

c) Face mask, 15 yards.

d) Too many Bulls on the field, 5 yards.

a) Yes

B) Yes

c) Yes

d) Not necessarily (see below)

e) Yes, unfortunately...

No player shall grasp the face mask or any helmet opening of an opponent. The open hand may be used legally on the mask (A.R. 9-1-2-XV).

PENALTYâ€â€Live-ball foul, basic spot. Defensive team: Five yards for incidental grasping (not an automatic first down) [s45]; 15 yards for twisting, turning or pulling; and a first down for Team B fouls if the first down is not in conflict with other rules. Offensive team: 15 yards from the basic spot (Exception: Offensive team facemask fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line). All dead-ball fouls: 15 yards from the succeeding spot and a first down for a Team B foul if the first down is not in conflict with other rules [s7, S38 and S45]. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified [s47]. When in question, it is twisting, turning or pulling.

SOURCE:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2004/2004_football_rules.pdf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  518
  • Days Won:  0

In the same scenario the DB just runs at the WR, never looks back, puts his hands up and on the WR pushing him.  That is a classic PI.  A defensive player must always look back for the ball but even then he could still get called for PI.  Not looking back is almost a guarantee PI.  

Actually I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, in college the defender can "Face Guard".  He just can't make contact while doing so.  In the NFL you can not "Face Guard" without being called for pass interference.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

The kicker ruffing @USC & @TCU were incidental & shoulda been of the 5 yd types.  IMO, grievous homer calls which had major impact on those contests.  Additionally, the same goes for a few facemasks in those games.  Mask was grasped then let go w/o twisting the head.  Definition to me is a 5 yd incidental penalty.  I wonder if USF isn't getting a rep and the refs are displaying biased towards our Bulls.