The Grothe Effect

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

Wow am I a bad parent.  I just hope my kids graduate "someday", have lots of fun and don't get arrested for any felonies.  Life to tough and college should be fun and learning.  Does anyone go to their doctor or CPA and ask them what their GPA was ?  Time to really perform is after you get out.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,845

Wow am I a bad parent.  I just hope my kids graduate "someday", have lots of fun and don't get arrested for any felonies.  Life to tough and college should be fun and learning.  Does anyone go to their doctor or CPA and ask them what their GPA was ?  Time to really perform is after you get out.

As long as you keep you kid in line and they work hard then your fine. The SAT and tests like that are a joke. Taking a test at 8 am on a saturday shouldnt be used to determine how smart you are. GPA's are decieving and how smart someone is doesnt always show up in that

• Content Count:  2,461

Our USF Grad in the photo below is now teaching math to your middle school kids - BY CHOICE

Good to hear.

• Content Count:  1,845

Teachers need to be payed more for the amount of idiots they have to deal with

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

Teachers need to be payed more for the amount of idiots they have to deal with

they should be...unfortunately people don't want to pay the taxes for those sorts of things...it sounds nice until people remember public/gov't employees are paid with tax dollars

• Content Count:  6,774
  • Days Won:  19

I find it hard justifying paying teachers more. They receive three months off during the summer... they work 10-12 hours a day tops during the week (that includes taking work home). Depending on the course work they are instructing, change is truly limited. How much has high school Algebra, English Comp, or American History I changed in the last 40 years? Seriously... With technology today, it's reduced the role of the teacher even more.

Sorry if I offended you Cousin Ricky... I do enjoy reading your posts. My brother and his wife are teachers (and just like you had hoped your daughter might pursue actuarial science, I wish my brother had used his political science degree for something other than teaching history). FWIW... I wanted to become an actuary... but the language barrier in Calc I and II with my Russian math professor at USF and then a Chinese professor chased me to Finance.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Dumb people have the most power sadly. Having recently graduated high school I can tell you that there were people in honors and AP that should not have been there. Public high school is a joke. I studied maybe 3 times throughout highschool (not kiding). I got a C one time in physics and that was it. My GPA never dropped below 3.5 and I came to USF with 21 credit hours. People don't have to take a test before they breed unfortunately

You shouldn't feel that because you were able to get through high school with little/no studying, high school was a joke.  The purpose of school (high school, USF, whatever) is to provide you with opportunities to learn and excel.  Sure, each class has some minimum bar you must jump over - the difficult each student will have clearing that hurdle is very individual.  It depends on your outside interests, how quickly you grasp new concepts, lots of things really.  Just because you can get an A in a class with little studying - the real question as to if it was valuable or not is was the teacher knowledgeable, inspiring, willing to answer additional questions, and providing of opportunities for further learning.[/soap box]

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

I find it hard justifying paying teachers more. They receive three months off during the summer... they work 10-12 hours a day tops during the week (that includes taking work home). Depending on the course work they are instructing, change is truly limited. How much has high school Algebra, English Comp, or American History I changed in the last 40 years? Seriously... With technology today, it's reduced the role of the teacher even more.

Sorry if I offended you Cousin Ricky... I do enjoy reading your posts. My brother and his wife are teachers (and just like you had hoped your daughter might pursue actuarial science, I wish my brother had used his political science degree for something other than teaching history). FWIW... I wanted to become an actuary... but the language barrier in Calc I and II with my Russian math professor at USF and then a Chinese professor chased me to Finance.

This is getting interesting...

I have a sister and brother-in-law that are both teachers, and while I agree that they do have perks such as summers off and a ton of holidays, you also have to look at the negatives.

If I want to take a random Friday off from my job, I can. That isn't a viable option for teachers unless they have a good reason. Also, if they were only being paid to teach, you're right, their salary is probably right. The issue is that parents have generally stopped doing their job (probably because there are a lot of 1-parent households, or both parents have to work too much to provide), so, teachers are faced with a ton of **** that most wouldn't believe unless you hear it from them.

My sister has had her nose broken trying to break up a fight (which she had no business doing), kids are rude, disruptive, and don't care about anything. So, instead of teaching the +/- 30 in the class that do care a little, she has to spend all of her time controlling the bad ones. In the perfect world, they would send the kid home, but apparently, it's the school system's responsibility to make sure that the kid doesn't get into trouble, and if you send them home, they may go rob a bank or something, and of course, that is the school's problem and not the parents.

Also, here in Orange Co, the school board has basically said eff off to any one involved in the system and decided to change the start times. So, all of the teachers that have been doing it for several years, have to completely change their lives for no reason at all. My sister and bro-in-law have a new baby at home, and they leave him at 9 every morning and don't get home until 6ish. Lord knows they can't live on one of their salaries, so thats what they have to do. But, at least they didn't get a raise this year, so that makes it all better.

The governments wastes too many tax dollars to say they would have to raise taxes to pay teachers more. Cut back to a 4-day week.

/end rant.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

As both CPA and DR require acceptance to med school based on college grades, and college entrance is based on SAT and GPA in HS, It is doubtful your CPA or Dr. had low GPA's....     Yes, there could be a few exceptions, but probably not many...

My nephew just compled UF (had a 4.xx gpa to get in) and then Boston College for his Accounting Grad program (it is a 5 year or graduate program now) and passed his CPA exams first time.   He certainly is in the top 10% of students....   

Point being, it would be a waste of time to ask your Dr or CPA what their undergrad and hs grade were, because a decent grad school would not have accepted them....

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

As long as you keep you kid in line and they work hard then your fine. The SAT and tests like that are a joke. Taking a test at 8 am on a saturday shouldnt be used to determine how smart you are. GPA's are decieving and how smart someone is doesnt always show up in that

SAT's have been out there for decades and some kids find them easy (smart kids) and some find them hard (not so smart kids).  Also, some kids are just better at learnign and taking tests than others.  If you found HS easy, there is probably a reason for it.  But school hasn't changed much since we were kids. 

I had one brother who was mostly A's with an occaisional B and he never studied.  I had another brother who was a few A's and mostly B's (also honor roll) but he studied for hours each night.  Two different guys and one had to work harder than the other.  I was more of a B/C student, but only because I didn't do any studying, or as little as possible.....  Until college, then I was 3.4/3.5 in my Undergrad/Grad studies.....  I was just lazy in HS and needed to grow up somewhat....

Archived