• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I would say he's gone

Update from Greg:

August 26, 2008

Freshman LB Taylor suspended one week

Freshman linebacker Quavon Taylor, mysteriously absent from Monday night's practice, is fine. Relatively speaking, anyway. USF coach Jim Leavitt said Tuesday that Taylor wasn't at practice or in meetings Monday because he didn't realize USF was practicing, five days before the season opener.

"He didn't know we were practicing. How could he not know we were practicing? That seems impossible to me. So I'm suspending him from the team for a week," Leavitt said. "My rule is you miss a practice, you miss a week; you miss two, you're off the team. He can come back next week if that's what he wants to do. He's not a bad kid, he's just trying to get things figured out. I'm just glad he's safe."

Taylor, from Miami Northwestern, had been held out of practice much of last week because he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse; even before that, he was headed for a redshirt this season because of USF's returning depth at linebacker.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  19,532
  • Days Won:  24

No, he's not gone.  I listened to the Jim's press conference today.  Leavitt wasn't as hard on the kid, joked that Taylor got lost on campus and couldn't find the practice field.  

He only missed a practice, he didn't commit a felony.  I think the reaction from Leavitt last night was to make it absolutely crystal clear that players don't miss practices at USF.  Ever.  This is why kids have a redshirt year, to get used to being responsible for themselves and to make the adjustments necessary.  As long as Quavon wants to be a football player at USF, this incident won't hold him back.

• Content Count:  5,241

If he didnt realize there was practice A WEEK BEFORE A GAME (even thou he's a redshirt) I hope he realizes there are classes he has to go to at college, and they start this week too.

• Content Count:  178

Not to make excuses for the kid, but he is one of the few that has yet to be cleared to play, so maybe he thought since he wasn't going to practice he didn't have to show up at all. Still, not a good move on his part.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

You cannot coach kids who don't have respect for the team as a whole.  Once they show disrespect, you have to publically make an example and let all the other players know you won't tolerate it.

Just like the real world.  I'd fire an employee who was not on the same page.  If you skip work and don't let us know about it, it won't happen more than one time I can promise that.... 

• Content Count:  2,307

Are we talking about practice?  Practice?

2002-05-07-iverson2.jpg

I hope I'm wrong, but I think he's gone. 

Haha, how fitting...

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Not to make excuses for the kid, but he is one of the few that has yet to be cleared to play, so maybe he thought since he wasn't going to practice he didn't have to show up at all. Still, not a good move on his part.

That what i was thinking. He hasn't been cleared yet, he is more than likely gonna RS, so if he can't practice, nor play this week, maybe he thought he was excused. Either way he should let coach know.

• Content Count:  10,219

THIS IS NOT MIAMI...CLEAR!

this kid could be one of the best we have seen, hope he gets it together!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

No, he's not gone.  I listened to the Jim's press conference today.  Leavitt wasn't as hard on the kid, joked that Taylor got lost on campus and couldn't find the practice field.  

He only missed a practice, he didn't commit a felony.  I think the reaction from Leavitt last night was to make it absolutely crystal clear that players don't miss practices at USF.  Ever.  This is why kids have a redshirt year, to get used to being responsible for themselves and to make the adjustments necessary.  As long as Quavon wants to be a football player at USF, this incident won't hold him back.

Good to hear.

chill.jpg

Archived