MIKE FORD!

Singabull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

Regardless of how we all feel,they will all play.

I would just like to see number 26 the first back on the field with Jamar and Ben giving him a breather. Next year we can use Ford and Taylor equally as much I won't care because they will be pretty darn unstoppable

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Here are some quick stats to support Ben starting. 

Last year we had 991 offensive plays.

212 were QB running plays

386 were passing plays not to a RB

>60% of our plays required a blocking back.  (Don't tell anyone, but our best blocking back is Ben Williams)

Now nobody needs to call Leavitt.  It looks like he already knows this when you look at the depth chart.

So you think Ben Williams is a better blocker than Jacob Sims, our 6th OL?  What about Cedric Hill, the TE?  Seems to me that if you are going to pass you'd want the best blockers on the team, not the best blocker out of the RBs.  If you want a RB out there as a decoy to run, then you'd go with the guy that can run the ball the best, and that's not Ben Williams.

But hey, maybe B-Will is better at blocking than them.  I think he's a good back but I do hope Ford gets more carries this year.  He is our best rusher, even when he's supposedly out of shape half a year last year.

If last year was Mike Ford without knowing a play book, being out of shape, and not trying hard, I'm really looking forward to him this year because he was pretty good last year.

C'mon, your talking garbage and you know it.  Ben is an good ball carrier and a excellent blocker.  He makes our offense more difficult to defend.  I'm just talking about probability and based on who helps the team the most...Ben's the man. 

Hey, once Ford becomes better at the assignments without the ball, then I am with you all the way, he's an every down guy.  I think we have to go with the coaches until then.

Oh yeah BTW, you can say what you want about recruits not heading our way over stuff like this, but players respect a coach that respects his players.  Senior respect and an expectation and devotion to rewarding hard work will get us further with recruits than some guy with a bunch of stars wanting to come here so he won't have to work.  Good players want to work hard.  I believe Ford is working hard, but he needs to understand the level that is expected, and as soon as he does he will be the man.  We are going to have at ;east two years of nearly 2000 yard seasons out of him in my opinion, just maybe not this year.

Do you people not understand? 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF A GUY WORKS HARD, IF HE'S NOT GOOD HE SHOULDN'T PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMON!  So what if some random guy off the streets came in and worked hard at football?  You gonna give him a roster spot?  You gonna start him because he works harder than anyone else?  So what if b williams works hard?  HE IS NOT A GOOD RUNNER!!!!  He can block, wow!  Great!  So let's keep giving him the ball and when he runs 2 yards into a defensive tackle and falls down, we can all say "HE WORKS SO HARD SO IT's OK THAT HE CAN'T MOVE THE CHAINS!"

I can work hard.  Maybe I can be a starting defensive lineman!  I'll run hard every day, lift weights to the max, study the play book, and stay late watching film!  But wait, I work hard so I should start! wooooooooo

The only one that really doesn't understand around here is you.  Your knowledge of football is very limited.

You are correct in that Ford is the better ball carrier.  However, the way he played last year he was one dimensional and the coaches have said that when Ford was on the field (same with Taylor) that the offense was limited.  Just because Ford was the better ball carrier does not mean the offense was better. 

Question for you.  On overall yardage, who was the more productive back?  Actually Ford and Williams were almost exactly even in total yardage.  Williams  had 240 passing yards and totalled slightly more yardage than Ford.  You do realize that there is more to the position at this level than just carrrying th ball.  Imagine that, the no talent walk on had less touches than the 5 star true Freshman, but actually had more yards from scrimmage.  Or just maybe he is more talented than you give him credit for.

I would just about guarantee that, barring injury, Ford's carries this year will be far in excess of Williams.  What you should get pissed about is if at the end of the year Ford doesn't start contributing in a more all around way.  He needs to start learning the reads on the blitzes so he can block and also become the check down receiver when necessary and become a more valuable all around weapon.

When Andre Hall was here, he was not only the leading rusher, but also the leading receiver his SR year and the 3rd leading receiver his first year here.  He was a complete back.  That's what Ford and all our backs need to become.  Until they can play all aspects of the position they will remain role players.

I believe Ford will be able to grow into this all around player.

• Content Count:  873

Here are some quick stats to support Ben starting. 

Last year we had 991 offensive plays.

212 were QB running plays

386 were passing plays not to a RB

>60% of our plays required a blocking back.  (Don't tell anyone, but our best blocking back is Ben Williams)

Now nobody needs to call Leavitt.  It looks like he already knows this when you look at the depth chart.

So you think Ben Williams is a better blocker than Jacob Sims, our 6th OL?  What about Cedric Hill, the TE?  Seems to me that if you are going to pass you'd want the best blockers on the team, not the best blocker out of the RBs.  If you want a RB out there as a decoy to run, then you'd go with the guy that can run the ball the best, and that's not Ben Williams.

But hey, maybe B-Will is better at blocking than them.  I think he's a good back but I do hope Ford gets more carries this year.  He is our best rusher, even when he's supposedly out of shape half a year last year.

If last year was Mike Ford without knowing a play book, being out of shape, and not trying hard, I'm really looking forward to him this year because he was pretty good last year.

C'mon, your talking garbage and you know it.  Ben is an good ball carrier and a excellent blocker.  He makes our offense more difficult to defend.  I'm just talking about probability and based on who helps the team the most...Ben's the man. 

Hey, once Ford becomes better at the assignments without the ball, then I am with you all the way, he's an every down guy.  I think we have to go with the coaches until then.

Oh yeah BTW, you can say what you want about recruits not heading our way over stuff like this, but players respect a coach that respects his players.  Senior respect and an expectation and devotion to rewarding hard work will get us further with recruits than some guy with a bunch of stars wanting to come here so he won't have to work.  Good players want to work hard.  I believe Ford is working hard, but he needs to understand the level that is expected, and as soon as he does he will be the man.  We are going to have at ;east two years of nearly 2000 yard seasons out of him in my opinion, just maybe not this year.

Do you people not understand? 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF A GUY WORKS HARD, IF HE'S NOT GOOD HE SHOULDN'T PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMON!  So what if some random guy off the streets came in and worked hard at football?  You gonna give him a roster spot?  You gonna start him because he works harder than anyone else?  So what if b williams works hard?  HE IS NOT A GOOD RUNNER!!!!  He can block, wow!  Great!  So let's keep giving him the ball and when he runs 2 yards into a defensive tackle and falls down, we can all say "HE WORKS SO HARD SO IT's OK THAT HE CAN'T MOVE THE CHAINS!"

I can work hard.  Maybe I can be a starting defensive lineman!  I'll run hard every day, lift weights to the max, study the play book, and stay late watching film!  But wait, I work hard so I should start! wooooooooo

The only one that really doesn't understand around here is you.  Your knowledge of football is very limited.

You are correct in that Ford is the better ball carrier.  However, the way he played last year he was one dimensional and the coaches have said that when Ford was on the field (same with Taylor) that the offense was limited.  Just because Ford was the better ball carrier does not mean the offense was better. 

Question for you.  On overall yardage, who was the more productive back?  Actually Ford and Williams were almost exactly even in total yardage.  Williams  had 240 passing yards and totalled slightly more yardage than Ford.  You do realize that there is more to the position at this level than just carrrying th ball.  Imagine that, the no talent walk on had less touches than the 5 star true Freshman, but actually had more yards from scrimmage.  Or just maybe he is more talented than you give him credit for.

I would just about guarantee that, barring injury, Ford's carries this year will be far in excess of Williams.  What you should get pissed about is if at the end of the year Ford doesn't start contributing in a more all around way.  He needs to start learning the reads on the blitzes so he can block and also become the check down receiver when necessary and become a more valuable all around weapon.

When Andre Hall was here, he was not only the leading rusher, but also the leading receiver his SR year and the 3rd leading receiver his first year here.  He was a complete back.  That's what Ford and all our backs need to become.  Until they can play all aspects of the position they will remain role players.

I believe Ford will be able to grow into this all around player.

Yeah, I know ford didn't get many receptions.  But that doesn't mean he can't catch.  Remember his first touchdown?  On the goal line where he made that awesome diving catch?  Ben is smarter but I think mike could get some help from the other players.  If he doesn't know a play or forgets, someone could help remind him.  Like "Mike, you get the ball, run it down the field."  Or, "this is a pass, block the weakside linebacker if he blitzes."  he's got too much talent not to be the main guy.

yea before you give the excuse he is one deminsional its because he was limited in what he knew. He didn't get the play called to him where he was a reciever very much. I think your just being pretty unrealistic when you say that Ford is one dimensional. Give him the opportunity to do more and he will. The guy is supposed to be on the field.

• Content Count:  3,403

Great!  So let's keep giving him the ball and when he runs 2 yards into a defensive tackle and falls down, we can all say "HE WORKS SO HARD SO IT's OK THAT HE CAN'T MOVE THE CHAINS!"

He averaged 4 yds a carry last year ... 3 x 4 = 12 ... 12 > 10 ... 10 = 1st down ... You = Clueless.

Decent, but Ford averaged 4.7 ypc.

I was just pointing out to the football knowledge challenged that Ben CAN move the chains based on his YPC ...

Yeah, I know, and I agree he's a little challenged...  I like Ben, but Ford is the better runner.  I can't wait to see all 5+ of our running backs tonight!

since noone responded to this thread yet. I will be the first to comment on that. Ford started lol. Ben Williams incredible move but all of our backs looked very good. Granted the competition was weak. Overall I was dissapointed in the blocking of the o-line. Didnt hold their blocks to create a running lane for Ford.

• Content Count:  873

since noone responded to this thread yet. I will be the first to comment on that. Ford started lol. Ben Williams incredible move but all of our backs looked very good. Granted the competition was weak. Overall I was dissapointed in the blocking of the o-line. Didnt hold their blocks to create a running lane for Ford.

Did you see the defense they put out there?  Every time ford went in they stacked the box with 8 or 9 guys.  Teams know who mike ford is and I think the bulls could use him as a decoy just as well on the play action.  The thing about mike that is most impressive is how he always gains yards.  He's always going forward.  A few of those carries went for no gain and mike pushed his way to a 3 yard gain.

no doubt about that. I was just so happy to see him start. It was a great opener.

• Content Count:  211

Singabull,  you are a tard.  Everyone here is afraid to say it, but your posts are stupid and no one likes you.  Why don't you start making your plans to take revenge on all of us by writing up your master plan to shoot us all in a frenzy because you were disrespected on the interwebzs.  oh wait.... guns don't work on message boards.  go cry now.  I don't ever want to see a post by you again.

Admin.  Im sorry.  I could not contain myself.  please forgive me.  I know that i am doing something wrong by pressing the post button......  Just ..... can't ...... resist.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

yea before you give the excuse he is one deminsional its because he was limited in what he knew. He didn't get the play called to him where he was a reciever very much. I think your just being pretty unrealistic when you say that Ford is one dimensional. Give him the opportunity to do more and he will. The guy is supposed to be on the field.

"he is one deminsional its because he was limited in what he knew"

This is the point that everyone has been trying to make to singabull and all the guys that have want Ford on the field for every play.  No one has ever said he wasn't talented or wasn't capable of doing all the things reqired to play the position.  He just didn't know the playbook or was able to read the keys on defense to be in the right position to make the plays.

New season here all the backs looked great.  Time for a new topic.

Archived