Grothe is our featured back

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Let's not forgot the Sun Bowl. We were utterly embarrassed and it definitely gave much fuel to the nay sayers claming that we were overrated. I have no doubt that we had the talent but after that game it solidified that our coaching is just not there. You could see the play coming a mile away and Oregon did!!

How many points did Oregon score in the Sun Bowl? But please, complain about the offense.

I am not complaining, merely stating my opinion on the OC. I am not blaming the loss on the OC only, keep reading and you will see I said that the players were flat. Sounds to me that you are now complaining about the D :P To funny.

I just quoted you saying the offense was the problem in the Sun Bowl. Personally I would say that giving up 56 points was a bigger problem. Bottom line is there were two games where USF's offense didn't score enough points to win the game. One was UConn, which Gregory had a big hand in. The other one was Oregon, but it didn't really matter because of how many they gave up.

Blaming Gregory for all of the team's problems is lazy and simplistic (not directing this at you specifically). Fans across the country do this with their offensive coordinators. It's stupid.

• Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  2

Let's not forgot the Sun Bowl. We were utterly embarrassed and it definitely gave much fuel to the nay sayers claming that we were overrated. I have no doubt that we had the talent but after that game it solidified that our coaching is just not there. You could see the play coming a mile away and Oregon did!!

How many points did Oregon score in the Sun Bowl? But please, complain about the offense.

how many of those points were scored off picks and turnovers by the offense?

• Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe is our featured back

LOL.

ZZZING!

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Let's see, we got two problems here:

1.  Greg Gregory as OC

2.  Featured back

Two words can solve BOTH problems.....  Paul Johnson!!!!!  Let's steal him from Ga Tech and make him the OC, and he can implement his flexbone/wishbone offense and get "FTW"  out there every friggin play, then we'll have FOUR featured backs.  And everybody's happy!!!!

• Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

My biggest issue is USF not being aggressive enough on Offense.

I don't agree with the predictability, why then did our Offense do so well ?

Trying to get back on subject - I really like the stable of Backs we have and think we'll have a much better running game.

2007 RUSHING ATTEMPTS

Grothe ............. 198

Ford ................. 138

Williams ............. 105

Samuels .............. 21

Taylor ................. 47

TOTALS ............ 311

I will be happy seeing Grothe with about 20% less carries.

Go BULLS !!!

I tried to start a new thread b/c this one was getting a bit off topic but it was merged back into here  :(.

Anyways I believe it is because we have so much talent. Grothe makes things happen when plays breakdown, we know that our RB are talented, and Mitchell came out of nowhere last year. The season is such a grind that most teams only get at most a week to prepare for a team but when the SunBowl came around Oregon was ready for us.

We will not be sneaking up on anyone this year and it will be fun to see how things develop. I hope I am wrong and you guys can point it out  ;D

• Content Count:  12,627
  • Days Won:  25

Quick question. 

Where do you seperate execution and play calling. 

If any play is succesfull it was executed properly and it was a good call.

If it doesn't work, I guarantee you it started with poor execution and the play was stupid and caused us to lose.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I find it rather interesting that on one hand you have so many people calling for Ford to be the man no matter how well he understood the playbook.  Then you habve the OC come out and tell you that they aren't able to run the entire playbook and have to scale back the number of options available for playcalling then in the next breath they complain about the play calling.  Even when the execution is poor it still comes back to play caling.  Just have to shake your head at that one.

If you want to place blame on a Coordinator for our losses, take alook on the other side of the ball.  In each of our losses we were hurt by many long plays.  We got killed consistently 3rd and longs that kept series going for the other teams.  Selvie had great stats and we had Trae, Jenkins and Moffitt so nobody looks over there, but take a closer look.  Throw in a lot of breakdowns of all sorts on special teams and I would argue the offense did a good enough job to win those games, but the defense let them down.

• Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

Quick question. 

Where do you seperate execution and play calling. 

If any play is succesfull it was executed properly and it was a good call.

If it doesn't work, I guarantee you it started with poor execution and the play was stupid and caused us to lose.

GO BULLS!

Exactly, if all goes well, both are great.

Examples of play calling being bad...

1. OL is getting man-handled all day, and you still are running routes 10+ yards for every receiver

2. Getting "cute" late in the game when you have the talent to do it straight up

3. No designing plays to get your mobile QB rolling out and on the move to throw some passes (always either running QB or pocket passer, not a mix?)

4. Being so predictable that anyone could have a 50-75% chance of knowing whats coming.

Sure, if you're recruiting 5* OL and 6'5" QBs, and execution is perfect, these things work out anyway, but, as I have said on this board before...good coaches find a system that works...great coaches adapt their system to the personnel that they have and the situation they are in.

• Content Count:  117
  • Days Won:  0

Reading some of these moronic posts you'd think USF won 4 games last year, are a laughing stock of the BE, and not ranked in the top 20. :Duh

Archived