OC Grant Gregory | Feature Back

CRBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain points. 

two words: "naked bootleg."

if there is any greater example of an OC's **** play-calling costing a team a game, i would like to hear it.

The defense gave up 167 yards to Dixon, couldn't stop him on 3rd and long all game, couldn't get their offense off the field, we had 5 chances to score inside their 5 yard line, fumbled the ball once, Grothe hit their DB in the knees in the front  of the End zone for an INT when he could have walked in backwards or thrown to a wide open Edwards in the back of the end zone, Ced Hill gets hit right in the middle of his #9 for anotherdropped  TD, we have a TD called back on a phantom holding call, we miss 2 easy FGs, we rack up 440 total yards of offense with 7 freshman playing at the same time on offense on some plays and the you blame the OC on one poor play call for the loss of that game????? You have got to be kidding me!!!

At some point someone has to make a play during the game to win.  How many oportunities do you want to win the game?

I'd put the blame on Carl Franks for sending Plancher out before I would blame Gregory for the loss because of one play call.

I agree, but I do have an argument... The players are 18-23 years old, and playing because they love it. The OC is being paid to perform. In any case, if the player gets into a position for the win, and the OC doesn't give them a shot, that is the OCs fault. I totally agree that there were more chances, and it didn't all come down to that play, but ultimately, on that play GGsr let the players down with that call.

...I make the same argument all the time about the Cincy game. Sure MG had a horrible game, but in the end, he gave us a chance to win, and GG made the call to win, but the ball was dropped. Sure, you want to blame Grothe for the game because he played the worst game of his life, but when the chips were really down and the game was truly on the line, he didn't let his team down.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

Just to change gears a bit....my problem with the OC was the pure predictability of the offense last season....it came to a point where i thought i was calling the plays last season when i took down and distance and the formation that lined up on the field into account...

variety=keeping a defense off balance

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain points. 

two words: "naked bootleg."

if there is any greater example of an OC's **** play-calling costing a team a game, i would like to hear it.

The defense gave up 167 yards to Dixon, couldn't stop him on 3rd and long all game, couldn't get their offense off the field, we had 5 chances to score inside their 5 yard line, fumbled the ball once, Grothe hit their DB in the knees in the front  of the End zone for an INT when he could have walked in backwards or thrown to a wide open Edwards in the back of the end zone, Ced Hill gets hit right in the middle of his #9 for anotherdropped  TD, we have a TD called back on a phantom holding call, we miss 2 easy FGs, we rack up 440 total yards of offense with 7 freshman playing at the same time on offense on some plays and the you blame the OC on one poor play call for the loss of that game????? You have got to be kidding me!!!

At some point someone has to make a play during the game to win.  How many oportunities do you want to win the game?

I'd put the blame on Carl Franks for sending Plancher out before I would blame Gregory for the loss because of one play call.

I agree, but I do have an argument... The players are 18-23 years old, and playing because they love it. The OC is being paid to perform. In any case, if the player gets into a position for the win, and the OC doesn't give them a shot, that is the OCs fault. I totally agree that there were more chances, and it didn't all come down to that play, but ultimately, on that play GGsr let the players down with that call.

...I make the same argument all the time about the Cincy game. Sure MG had a horrible game, but in the end, he gave us a chance to win, and GG made the call to win, but the ball was dropped. Sure, you want to blame Grothe for the game because he played the worst game of his life, but when the chips were really down and the game was truly on the line, he didn't let his team down.

You lost me a little with that one.  I understand he screwed up on one play call ( in this instance), but come on, there were 5 series inside the UCONN 5 or 10 yard line where we came away with ZERO points.  Missed FGs, horrible passes, fumbles,dropped passes and penalties on the goal line.  When a player a receiver is wide open and drops the pass or the QB throws it right to the DB, or when we actually score and the TD gets called back because of a penalty, weren't those all the correct play calls and there was no execution?  These are D1, scholarship athletes, how much more does a guy have to do to put them in the position to win?

On the other hand, I will put some the Rutgers game on him because he failed to counter what their D was throwing at Grothe.  A screen or a draw may have helped keep the RU defense honest.  In that game he deserves some of the blame.  There is a casae, in my opinion where he could have done something to put Grothe in a better position to make the correct plays, but I wouldn't put the loss entirely on him.

• Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

Two different responses, so no quotes...

1. Hornz - Stewart ran all over us in the Sun Bowl, the offense didn't look good, but the defense was horrible in that one. I try to pretend it never happend because if you start passing out blame, you will have a long day ahead of you.

2. '84 - I guess my point was that on the field, **** happens. Players make mistakes by trying to do too much, making bad decisions, etc. In the booth, the coach has to perform on every critical play. If he had called that 3 series earlier, no one would have had a problem with it. When it's crunch time, I want to see the game in the players hands. If the last play had been Grothe throwing a pick to a wide open receiver, oh well. But, in that critical moment, GG missed the mark. I have not seen nor spoken to him personally, but my guess is that he is human and like all of us, makes mistakes. All I am saying is that it is the coach has to shoulder more of the load. I think we saw the same thing with RU. He kept expecting MG to make a great play instead of taking a risk and changing the offense.

Last year was GGs first as OC, and he didn't do a bad job. I was critical of him at times. I was pissed after the UConn game, but looking back, since he took responsibility for that last call, I respect him. The call before that if memory serves me was a run to Plancher. I am not 100% sure that GG was aware the Ford wasn't there. That could be on someone else for not letting him know. I doubt that he would have called that knowing that the TD machine wasn't going to be the one getting the ball.

• Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I wanted to check everyone's confidence in GG as our OC. There are plenty of people on this board that are much more knowledgeable than I and hence the topic.

My OPINION, stress OPINION, is

I am not satisfied with GG. To say he has done so much better than the previous OC is not saying much.

Against Rutgers Schiano made a great adjustment, which was all out blitzes on Grothe who was killing them, and GG did a terrible job adjusting. His plays were long and drawn out; it's like he did not want to make adjustments to his game plan. It was embarrassing; I was thinking "do an Randolph screen, anything, please!!"

Let's not forgot the Sun Bowl. We were utterly embarrassed and it definitely gave much fuel to the nay sayers claming that we were overrated. I have no doubt that we had the talent but after that game it solidified that our coaching is just not there. You could see the play coming a mile away and Oregon did!! I agree with the other posters, in that I was calling the plays midway through the season, and my football knowledge is average at best.

After this season though we will definitely know where he is at as our OC. I know he is new to this, still learning, and I am being a bit harsh but I remember how hard our players were fighting through the Rutgers and UConn game and if we want to be a top tier FB program the coaching cannot be a question, it has to be there. Thing is, I dont know if CJL is the kinda of guy to let him go. If not then this will be the first major flaw that I see CJL has.

Bit of a loaded post and I mean not to offend but the offense has to be the best (talent wise) we have ever had. Last year was heart wrenching to watch; the players left it all on the field (minus the Sunbowl). I respect GG and could prove himself to be the OC that we long for; guess we will have to see.

• Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

I know the topic is more about GG now but if one of those 4 backs starts averaging 6 yds a carry, have no fear.  That RB will be featured.  Look at USF's RB history.  It takes about 3 games for the cream to rise to the top.  BTW, we can even call the RB "Feature Creature" if you'd like. 

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Let's not forgot the Sun Bowl. We were utterly embarrassed and it definitely gave much fuel to the nay sayers claming that we were overrated. I have no doubt that we had the talent but after that game it solidified that our coaching is just not there. You could see the play coming a mile away and Oregon did!!

How many points did Oregon score in the Sun Bowl? But please, complain about the offense.

I know the topic is more about GG now but if one of those 4 backs starts averaging 6 yds a carry, have no fear.  That RB will be featured.  Look at USF's RB history.  It takes about 3 games for the cream to rise to the top.  BTW, we can even call the RB "Feature Creature" if you'd like. 

I tried to start a new thread but unfortunately a mod must have put it back in here.

Anyways you are right, Orlando Bull, there is plenty of blame to go around in the Sunbowl game.

Let's not forgot the Sun Bowl. We were utterly embarrassed and it definitely gave much fuel to the nay sayers claming that we were overrated. I have no doubt that we had the talent but after that game it solidified that our coaching is just not there. You could see the play coming a mile away and Oregon did!!

How many points did Oregon score in the Sun Bowl? But please, complain about the offense.

I am not complaining, merely stating my opinion on the OC. I am not blaming the loss on the OC only, keep reading and you will see I said that the players were flat. Sounds to me that you are now complaining about the D :P To funny.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,037
  • Days Won:  29

Just to change gears a bit....my problem with the OC was the pure predictability of the offense last season....it came to a point where i thought i was calling the plays last season when i took down and distance and the formation that lined up on the field into account...

variety=keeping a defense off balance

My biggest issue is USF not being aggressive enough on Offense.

I don't agree with the predictability, why then did our Offense do so well ?

Trying to get back on subject - I really like the stable of Backs we have and think we'll have a much better running game.

2007 RUSHING ATTEMPTS

Grothe ............. 198

Ford ................. 138

Williams ............. 105

Samuels .............. 21

Taylor ................. 47

TOTALS ............ 311

I will be happy seeing Grothe with about 20% less carries.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived