You've got to brace yourselves for some disappointments this year

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

There's Cool-Aid being served everywhere this year. Good golly. I don't want to bathe in it.

We Bulls know very well that at some point this season there will come a time when we will want to cut our wrists. Every year thus far it has happened.

All I want right now is a good game against Tennessee-Martin; I just want good offensive football with a solid running game.

I'm taking one game at a time.

BEAT TENN_MARTIN

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016

USF's football history is such that we lose a game we have no business losing... Army in 2004... Both road games at UConn...

USF has a history of playing down to their opponents, too... So game like FIU, FAU, or McNeese State are closer than we want...

That said... this team more than any previous team has a chance to win every game... they will be favored in every game except (maybe) for WVU... that should tell you something.

oh but USF doesn't play down to any teams ::) or so I was told by more than one person on here the last time I said that

I just want the season to start...get a win under our belts on the 30th and have them work out the kinks...if history is any indicator there will be kinks

To play 'down' to teams would presume we were already above them.

It's funny how fans are recruitniks during recruiting season, and then during football season they assume all their players are the best at every position.

Go back and look at our talent compared to the team's we've lost to, in every instance, from a recruiting ranking standpoint the opposition has had better or equal talent (with MAYBE the lone exception being Uconn in 05 and 06).

Go back and see 05- we lost to Miami, PSU, WVU, NCST, Pitt, and Uconn (only Uconn was there not a considerable talent differential which USF was the one on the short end of that stick).

Now 06' we lost to KU, UL, RU, and Cinci (yet again if you look USF was on the short-end of the stick, but maybe only UL had a considerable advantage- which is why the other three games we only lost by a TD or less, the Cinci game was 3-0 midway through the 4th before Leavitt through caution in the wind and went for the fake punt that failed on our end of the field_).

Now 07' we lost to Oregon, RU, Cinci, and Uconn (yet again if you look USF was on the short-end of the stick talent wise, with Oregon, and RU possessing a significant advantage, and in the other two games USF lost by a TD or less).

SO, if you really truly realize talent, then you'll see that USF rarely plays DOWN to competition, unless we're playing Uconn in Storrs (go figure this one out)....and more often than NOT plays UP TO COMPETITION...the lone exception to me was in 2006 and the ass-beating we took in Louisville to a team that finished 7th in the nation.

If you take that into account, use pre-season rankings and sagarin, factor in our ability to play UP to competition, and the level of competition we're facing relative to our talent level, then USF this season would be considered a successful season if we go 9-3 or better in the regular season.  It would be a disappoointment, TRULY SPEAKING, if we lost 3 or more this season.

1.  Reasoning is in the past three years USF has never lost to a sagarin team ranked worst than 19th at home- Cinci last year was 19, the other home losses were WVU in 07, RU in 06 were both single digit.

2.  In the past three years the average sagarin rating of our away losses is 31, with Uconn at 59 in 2005 as the all-time worst.

3.  This upcoming season, depending on which factor you use, the pre-season sagarin, 07 post-season, a composite ranking, Harris....based on all those USF should go 9-3 in the regular season.  Theoretically KU, Cinci, and WVU will be trouble...composite wise all three don't fit in the aforementioned victory statistics.  The quality of team will be more clearly defined by how we handled those three teams.  KU, and WVU are probably skilled wise slightly better, Cinci possibly equal...the other game that could fall in that category is Pitt.  They are home, but have a lot of talent.  If they go on a big run as a few predict could jump into the teens of sagarin by year-end.

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

There's Cool-Aid being served everywhere this year. Good golly. I don't want to bathe in it.

We Bulls know very well that at some point this season there will come a time when we will want to cut our wrists. Every year thus far it has happened.

All I want right now is a good game against Tennessee-Martin; I just want good offensive football with a solid running game.

with people thinking usf has a chance for NC and going undefeated of course they will be disappointed\

people arent realistic here

• Content Count:  760

If you dont contemplate going to the top of Ray J and jumping off after a loss...you dont care enough.

• Content Count:  573

I'm going into this season knowing that anything can happen.  But, at the same time, I will be extremely disappointed if we lose.  I'm a USF FAN and I should be disappointed by a loss.  Anyone that isn't disappointed needs to look in a mirror and ask themselves if they're truly a USF FAN or a just a pretend FAN.

USF's football history is such that we lose a game we have no business losing... Army in 2004... Both road games at UConn...

USF has a history of playing down to their opponents, too... So game like FIU, FAU, or McNeese State are closer than we want...

That said... this team more than any previous team has a chance to win every game... they will be favored in every game except (maybe) for WVU... that should tell you something.

coaching problem

oh but USF doesn't play down to any teams ::) or so I was told by more than one person on here the last time I said that

I just want the season to start...get a win under our belts on the 30th and have them work out the kinks...if history is any indicator there will be kinks

It's funny how fans are recruitniks during recruiting season, and then during football season they assume all their players are the best at every position.

Go back and look at our talent compared to the team's we've lost to, in every instance, from a recruiting ranking standpoint the opposition has had better or equal talent (with MAYBE the lone exception being Uconn in 05 and 06).

Go back and see 05- we lost to Miami, PSU, WVU, NCST, Pitt, and Uconn (only Uconn was there not a considerable talent differential which USF was the one on the short end of that stick).

Now 06' we lost to KU, UL, RU, and Cinci (yet again if you look USF was on the short-end of the stick, but maybe only UL had a considerable advantage- which is why the other three games we only lost by a TD or less, the Cinci game was 3-0 midway through the 4th before Leavitt through caution in the wind and went for the fake punt that failed on our end of the field_).

Now 07' we lost to Oregon, RU, Cinci, and Uconn (yet again if you look USF was on the short-end of the stick talent wise, with Oregon, and RU possessing a significant advantage, and in the other two games USF lost by a TD or less).

SO, if you really truly realize talent, then you'll see that USF rarely plays DOWN to competition, unless we're playing Uconn in Storrs (go figure this one out)....and more often than NOT plays UP TO COMPETITION...the lone exception to me was in 2006 and the ass-beating we took in Louisville to a team that finished 7th in the nation.

If you take that into account, use pre-season rankings and sagarin, factor in our ability to play UP to competition, and the level of competition we're facing relative to our talent level, then USF this season would be considered a successful season if we go 9-3 or better in the regular season.  It would be a disappoointment, TRULY SPEAKING, if we lost 3 or more this season.

1.  Reasoning is in the past three years USF has never lost to a sagarin team ranked worst than 19th at home- Cinci last year was 19, the other home losses were WVU in 07, RU in 06 were both single digit.

2.  In the past three years the average sagarin rating of our away losses is 31, with Uconn at 59 in 2005 as the all-time worst.

3.  This upcoming season, depending on which factor you use, the pre-season sagarin, 07 post-season, a composite ranking, Harris....based on all those USF should go 9-3 in the regular season.  Theoretically KU, Cinci, and WVU will be trouble...composite wise all three don't fit in the aforementioned victory statistics.  The quality of team will be more clearly defined by how we handled those three teams.  KU, and WVU are probably skilled wise slightly better, Cinci possibly equal...the other game that could fall in that category is Pitt.  They are home, but have a lot of talent.  If they go on a big run as a few predict could jump into the teens of sagarin by year-end.

your analysis falls short

usf should have beaten oregon

usf was favorite

our players didnt play up to their potential

oregon had a back up qb

usf should have beaten oregon

usf was favorite

our players didnt play up to their potential

oregon had a back up qb

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

If you take that into account, use pre-season rankings and sagarin, factor in our ability to play UP to competition, and the level of competition we're facing relative to our talent level, then USF this season would be considered a successful season if we go 9-3 or better in the regular season. It would be a disappoointment, TRULY SPEAKING, if we lost 3 or more this season.

1. Reasoning is in the past three years USF has never lost to a sagarin team ranked worst than 19th at home- Cinci last year was 19, the other home losses were WVU in 07, RU in 06 were both single digit.

2. In the past three years the average sagarin rating of our away losses is 31, with Uconn at 59 in 2005 as the all-time worst.

3. This upcoming season, depending on which factor you use, the pre-season sagarin, 07 post-season, a composite ranking, Harris....based on all those USF should go 9-3 in the regular season. Theoretically KU, Cinci, and WVU will be trouble...composite wise all three don't fit in the aforementioned victory statistics. The quality of team will be more clearly defined by how we handled those three teams. KU, and WVU are probably skilled wise slightly better, Cinci possibly equal...the other game that could fall in that category is Pitt. They are home, but have a lot of talent. If they go on a big run as a few predict could jump into the teens of sagarin by year-end.

see JimUSF...you say it and nothing...I say it and wham! lol

I'm not reading that 3 more times to make sure I understand what you're saying

the one thing I will say though: "the other home losses were WVU in 07" at least double check your stuff as I'm sure you meant '05...then again that was a loss of 28-13 so if you think that's single digits you may want to review your math again

so:

what Smazza said...he's better at keeping it short and to the point...if not always sweet

but Mike G nailed it on the head:

your reading comprehension falls short-- he explained his opinion with well thought out and well-structured argument.

You threw monkey crap against the wall and hoped it stuck, speaking in absolutes, cliches, and sentence fragments.

BOOOM!

Thanks Mike!!! :)

jersey...I did mean WVU 05', but when I said single digit I meant that WVU and RU both had single digit sagarin ratings, so they were strong teams.  The worst of the bunch was 19th rated Cinci loss at home.

Point being since USF has joined the BE the only games you could theoretically make a claim that they 'played down' to opponents is Uconn in 05, and 06, and even then I would say the talent level was at or nearly equal to one another.  I use facts to explain my case, most others just like to throw crap against the wall to see if it sticks.  The facts don't back up the argument that USF plays down, outside of the 2004 season (one we all want to throw out the window) that hasn't happened since we jumped to 1-A.

Just because a few people think we're better doesn't mean it's true.  USF has to play every single play hard to be the better team.  This year coming up, from athletes on the field I doubt that USF is supremely better than maybe 4 teams on our schedule (FIU, UCF, UT-Martin, and MAYBE Uconn), the rest it is going to be up to great coaching, great schemes, and hard work to win.

Archived