ND Rivals Post: Hunches 15 to 1 (Two about USF)

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Sweet. What I am worried about is if we go undefeated, we get passed over by a one loss SEC team which will face a 1 loss OSU or USC. This board would implode on itself. I know I would.

I hope we are in position to be worried about that scenario come November.

I'm about 95% sure we wouldn't get jumped for the NC by a one loss team if we were 12-0.

If we go 12-0 the only way we're on the outside looking in is if there are also teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or (unfortunately) ACC and Big 10 undefeated.

I think undefeated Clemson would get the nod over USF, but no other team from the ACC. 

It really depends how the season goes, but there's not a very high chance of 3 or more undefeated teams.

It's actually impossible for two teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or ACC to be undefeated.  In the SEC, Big XII, and ACC, you could see two undefeated division champions play each other in their championship game.  In the PAC 10, each team plays the other nine teams. 

In the Big 10, it would technically be possible.  However, out of the six teams currently ranked or getting votes (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State, Michigan, & Michigan State), the only combination of teams who don't play each other is Illinois v Michigan State (so they would be the only possible combination if you leave off the five lesser teams - Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota).

I think the NC will be two of these four teams:

USC - Ohio State winner

Florida - Georgia winner

USF - WVU winner

Oklahoma or Missouri (would play in Big XII championship)

Well, no **** 2 teams from the same conference can't go undefeated, but there could be up to 7 undefeated teams with a chance to play for a National Championship.  6 from the BCS conferences and NotreDam. (realistically no other team has a shot at the title over an undefeated USF)

I meant if there were 3 or more undefeated teams total then USF wouldn't get a shot.  I think 12-0 edges out any and-1 team.

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

We're getting ahead of ourselves.

Let's shoot for winning the conference.

• Content Count:  3,403

Sweet. What I am worried about is if we go undefeated, we get passed over by a one loss SEC team which will face a 1 loss OSU or USC. This board would implode on itself. I know I would.

I hope we are in position to be worried about that scenario come November.

I'm about 95% sure we wouldn't get jumped for the NC by a one loss team if we were 12-0.

If we go 12-0 the only way we're on the outside looking in is if there are also teams from the SEC, Big XII, PAC 10, or (unfortunately) ACC and Big 10 undefeated.

I think undefeated Clemson would get the nod over USF, but no other team from the ACC. 

It really depends how the season goes, but there's not a very high chance of 3 or more undefeated teams.

I think the NC will be two of these four teams:

USC - Ohio State winner

Florida - Georgia winner

USF - WVU winner

Oklahoma or Missouri (would play in Big XII championship)

The USC-OSU game is way overhyped as far as the national championship goes.  It's so early in the season it won't matter unless 1 or 2 teams go undefeated.  Last year the champion lost 2 games, and most champions lose at least once.

I think the FSU-UF game has more of a chance of effecting the national championship game than the USC-OSU game.

Also, I don't think WVU will be in position to play for a NC game.  I know you've agreed that WVU won't be as good this year.  I think we'd have a better chance of getting in a BCS game after losing to WVU than WVU playing for a title game.

The USC-OSU game is way overhyped as far as the national championship goes.  It's so early in the season it won't matter unless 1 or 2 teams go undefeated.  Last year the champion lost 2 games, and most champions lose at least once.

I think the FSU-UF game has more of a chance of effecting the national championship game than the USC-OSU game.

Also, I don't think WVU will be in position to play for a NC game.  I know you've agreed that WVU won't be as good this year.  I think we'd have a better chance of getting in a BCS game after losing to WVU than WVU playing for a title game.

Sorry. Most champions go undefeated.

2005 - Texas - 13-0

2004 - USC - 13-0

2002 - Ohio St - 14-0

2001 - Miami - 12-0

2000 - Oklahoma - 13-0

1999 - FSU - 12-0

1998 - Tennessee - 13-0

1997 - Michigan 12-0 & Nebraska 13-0 (split championships)

1995 - Nebraska 12-0

1994 - Nebraska 13-0

1992 - Alabama 12-0

1991 - Miami 12-0 & Washington 12-0

1990 - GA Tech 11-0-1 (split championship)

And I think the winner of the USC and Ohio State game will go undefeated the rest of the way.  The Pac 10 and Big 10 just aren't very good this year...

I might agree with you on the WVU game...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

First of all, we have 0 room for error. Plus I think that a 1 or even possibly a 2 loss team from the SEC might get a bid to the NC over us. It wasn't that long ago that Nebraska  lost their conference title game, yet still played for the NC. As an example, say UF beats UGA. UF wins the East, but loses the SEC title game. UGA finishes with only 1 loss, doesn't even win their conference yet, I think that UGA would get the nod over us even if we go undefeated.

Going from #19 to #1 is going to be a very hard ride. We can do it, I just don't think that we will. I will be happy if we win the conference have a good showing in a BCS game, and finish the season in the top 10.  Just my opinion.

• Content Count:  573

Just get me a BEAST championship and don't embarrass me in the BCS bowl.  I'll be happy with that. 

• Content Count:  3,403

Sorry. Most champions go undefeated.

2005 - Texas - 13-0

2004 - USC - 13-0

2002 - Ohio St - 14-0

2001 - Miami - 12-0

2000 - Oklahoma - 13-0

1999 - FSU - 12-0

1998 - Tennessee - 13-0

1997 - Michigan 12-0 & Nebraska 13-0 (split championships)

1995 - Nebraska 12-0

1994 - Nebraska 13-0

1992 - Alabama 12-0

1991 - Miami 12-0 & Washington 12-0

1990 - GA Tech 11-0-1 (split championship)

And I think the winner of the USC and Ohio State game will go undefeated the rest of the way.  The Pac 10 and Big 10 just aren't very good this year...

I might agree with you on the WVU game...

Sorry, lately.  But thanks for the stats.  That still leaves 93, 96, 03, 06, and 07.  3 out of the last 5 years, and last year LSU lost twice and should have lost to Auburn (but you can do that with most teams).

I agree that the conferences are weak.  USC did lose a lot of people and lost to Stanford last year, but considering everyone else has a tough schedule then the loser of the game could easily make it to the national championship game.  You know they won't drop in the polls much.

• Content Count:  883

Just get me a BEAST championship and don't embarrass me in the BCS bowl.  I'll be happy with that. 

I'm with you.

Archived