Only 1 thing worries me as 2008 kicks off

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,789
  • Days Won:  9

We dropped passes last year, but it wasn't like years past.  I thought the receivers did a pretty good job last year for the most part.  Everybody drops passes, you just have to limit it as much as possible.  The only one that sticks out in my mind is the Cedric Hill drop in the UConn game.  Big Drop, but other than that one, I can't think of another bad drop.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

*editors note* - Everything I say is based on what I remember...I didn't look up the statistics to back up everything I say here; this is just based on my general perceptions. Also I am still in the process of learning the finer points of football as my wonderful, amazing, patient friends (shoop, bigeastbeasts, etc) teach me the technical aspects of the game. So please forgive if I sound like a girl...cause last time I checked I am one :)

our biggest deficiency in the run game: consistency; which falls as much on the coaches and the run scheme we use as it does on the players. It'd be nice to see a consistent running game keeping us away from 3rd and long. (picking up 5 or so yards on a first down carry, etc) Having that would improve the passing game by creating less desperate passing situations. I think you're more likely to turn the ball over passing on 3rd and long where you're trying to make something happen for the first down then you are in less 'desperate' situations.

a consistent running game will help our defense: many times when the D starts giving up big plays is when they've been on the field for too long because the offense isn't keeping the ball. No matter how good your defense is if you keep going 3 and out...or score off of big yardage plays in a short period of time your defense is going to get tired. That's going to hurt you especially if you're talking about a defense like ours that's built on speed. - not sure if that's changed with the loss of Jenkins and Williams but I'm going to assume that speed will once again be a key to our defense (Selvie being a prime example).

How do you feel about the offensive line being stronger in pass protection? my concern is that Grothe isn't exactly a pocket qb. More time should keep him from making as many mistakes and a stronger O-Line will hopefully stop a situation like the Rutgers game last year (O-lineman hurt and Grothe got sacked how many times from the weak side?) but Grothe's more comfortable with scramble plays where he goes on instincts more than mechanics. That aspect of his play makes me wonder if giving him more time in the pocket would really improve the passing game the way it should.

• Content Count:  21,536
  • Days Won:  10

Take a look at our 3 loses last year.  Each one they basically out ran us on the ground with exception to UConn but in each case MG was our number one rusher.  That needs to change if we are going to prevent those types of losses.  He needs to be a surprise runner not the primary runner.

• Content Count:  66,116
  • Days Won:  172

Our running game.

No running game, no Big East Title.

I don't know who or what (the backs, the o-line, the play calling, whatever), I just want a running game.

i dont know if you are putting us on

usf hasnt had a running game since hall left

the offense is way too reliant on grothe

• Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  2

So please forgive if I sound like a girl...cause last time I checked I am one :)

proof, please.

;D

*editors note* - Everything I say is based on what I remember...I didn't look up the statistics to back up everything I say here; this is just based on my general perceptions. Also I am still in the process of learning the finer points of football as my wonderful, amazing, patient friends (shoop, bigeastbeasts, etc) teach me the technical aspects of the game. So please forgive if I sound like a girl...cause last time I checked I am one :)

our biggest deficiency in the run game: consistency; which falls as much on the coaches and the run scheme we use as it does on the players. It'd be nice to see a consistent running game keeping us away from 3rd and long. (picking up 5 or so yards on a first down carry, etc) Having that would improve the passing game by creating less desperate passing situations. I think you're more likely to turn the ball over passing on 3rd and long where you're trying to make something happen for the first down then you are in less 'desperate' situations.

a consistent running game will help our defense: many times when the D starts giving up big plays is when they've been on the field for too long because the offense isn't keeping the ball. No matter how good your defense is if you keep going 3 and out...or score off of big yardage plays in a short period of time your defense is going to get tired. That's going to hurt you especially if you're talking about a defense like ours that's built on speed. - not sure if that's changed with the loss of Jenkins and Williams but I'm going to assume that speed will once again be a key to our defense (Selvie being a prime example).

How do you feel about the offensive line being stronger in pass protection? my concern is that Grothe isn't exactly a pocket qb. More time should keep him from making as many mistakes and a stronger O-Line will hopefully stop a situation like the Rutgers game last year (O-lineman hurt and Grothe got sacked how many times from the weak side?) but Grothe's more comfortable with scramble plays where he goes on instincts more than mechanics. That aspect of his play makes me wonder if giving him more time in the pocket would really improve the passing game the way it should.

For the record -- you sound like you know USF football better than a lot of guys (Al Keck, Doug Graber, etc).  Shoop & BEB are good teachers.

when qb is running most of time and getting pounded it is easier said than done to pass the ball

usf's gimmick offense works when you have  stars touching the ball

did we recruit better receivers?

i dont expect guys that dropped ballls year to hold on to ball this year

• Content Count:  3,103

We dropped passes last year, but it wasn't like years past.  I thought the receivers did a pretty good job last year for the most part.  Everybody drops passes, you just have to limit it as much as possible.  The only one that sticks out in my mind is the Cedric Hill drop in the UConn game.  Big Drop, but other than that one, I can't think of another bad drop.

another big drop was at the end of the Cincy game, we were on the Cincy 18 and had a few passes dropped in the endzone.  the last pass dropped should have been caught, hit the player right in the numbers, but the defense should have also been called for pass interference on the play.

• Content Count:  4,503

I could be wrong but wasn't last year, since being in the BE our best scoring year ?

I wold look for a small improvement this year but that would be great.

Maybe I am watching the wrong game but the WRs looked pretty good last year and it seemed to me that Grothe was thowing the ball behind them to often - Cinci game jumps to mind.

Archived