yawn

MikeG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

and I am sick of it.

Never fails--- every single season going back many years, we have had one or two players that people seem to pile on every chance they get. For some posters, the whipping is Leavitt or some other coach like Rod Smith.

Last year it was Amarri and Delbert. The year before Amarri and PJ. The year before that Ronnie Banks and PJ. One way or another-- somebody is getting a bad rap on this site by certain posters who make it their goal in life to talk crap about SOMEONE and inject that negative crapola wherever they can.

It's so disgusting to see this pattern continue. I get the impression that some of the more caustic individuals on this board find absolute joy in this practice.

And I already know who is slated for this season-- Delbert and Ben Williams. What in the world did Ben Williams do you ask? Why he has the nerve to start or play ahead of Mike Ford. Never mind the fact that he started out as a walk on, worked himself up to getting a chance to play, filled in a role as we had various issues with players like Ponton and PLancher, and even snagged a MVP trophy from a bowl people act like it was embarrassing to have to play in.

All he ever did for this school was bust his ass.

And for it, does this senior get a modicum of respect? No-- he gets people talking about how tall he is or that he can't run as well as player B-C-D-E-etc. God forbid he does something wrong this season-- like dropping a pass or missing a key block-- these posters are chopping at the bit to jump on him.

Same goes for Alvarado-- he is not allowed to ever miss a kick, and must kick while all these wonderful people make snide remarks about how he will miss this kick.

I tell you what-- these type of people make me ill. The constant griping over losses or bad plays, rarely ever stopping to talk about the GOOD that was done. In retrospect, I don't know whether to blame the media for this going on or perhaps finally understand why they write such negative slanted stories so often-- it feeds public demand to talk about what is wrong with this world instead of any part of it that is truly right.

you're right, Mike...

this forum should be reserved STRICTLY for the green-and-gold goggle kool-aid sipping homers. 

God forbid anyone ever criticize or scrutinize the performance of the players.

the purpose of football isn't to win, it's to "do our best" and never, EVER discuss how our "best" can get better because when we do, emo Mike's mangina gets sore and he cries about it in verbose, long-winded sob-fests like this one.

would u like some cheese for that whine, Mikey?

whoa, dude...

That last post wasn't too cool.  lol

Lets just chill here and realize that we have different opinions.  I think that all mike was trying to say was that personal/on-going bashing of players is not cool.  Everyone has a right to say something when they are not satisfied with a player.  But I think he was talking about the on-going bashing.  Not just the small comments about some of their missed opportunities. 

regardless...GO BULLS!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

and I am sick of it.

Never fails--- every single season going back many years, we have had one or two players that people seem to pile on every chance they get. For some posters, the whipping is Leavitt or some other coach like Rod Smith.

Last year it was Amarri and Delbert. The year before Amarri and PJ. The year before that Ronnie Banks and PJ. One way or another-- somebody is getting a bad rap on this site by certain posters who make it their goal in life to talk crap about SOMEONE and inject that negative crapola wherever they can.

It's so disgusting to see this pattern continue. I get the impression that some of the more caustic individuals on this board find absolute joy in this practice.

And I already know who is slated for this season-- Delbert and Ben Williams. What in the world did Ben Williams do you ask? Why he has the nerve to start or play ahead of Mike Ford. Never mind the fact that he started out as a walk on, worked himself up to getting a chance to play, filled in a role as we had various issues with players like Ponton and PLancher, and even snagged a MVP trophy from a bowl people act like it was embarrassing to have to play in.

All he ever did for this school was bust his ass.

And for it, does this senior get a modicum of respect? No-- he gets people talking about how tall he is or that he can't run as well as player B-C-D-E-etc. God forbid he does something wrong this season-- like dropping a pass or missing a key block-- these posters are chopping at the bit to jump on him.

Same goes for Alvarado-- he is not allowed to ever miss a kick, and must kick while all these wonderful people make snide remarks about how he will miss this kick.

I tell you what-- these type of people make me ill. The constant griping over losses or bad plays, rarely ever stopping to talk about the GOOD that was done. In retrospect, I don't know whether to blame the media for this going on or perhaps finally understand why they write such negative slanted stories so often-- it feeds public demand to talk about what is wrong with this world instead of any part of it that is truly right.

you're right, Mike...

this forum should be reserved STRICTLY for the green-and-gold goggle kool-aid sipping homers. 

God forbid anyone ever criticize or scrutinize the performance of the players.

the purpose of football isn't to win, it's to "do our best" and never, EVER discuss how our "best" can get better because when we do, emo Mike's mangina gets sore and he cries about it in verbose, long-winded sob-fests like this one.

would u like some cheese for that whine, Mikey?

sonnage......

• Content Count:  4,016

Some do go overboard but i don't think discussing who needs to step up or improve should be off limits.  As long as it's done in a mature and respectful fashion all forms of discussion should be welcome here.

The guys that rip on Ben Williams fail to see his value because it goes WAY, WAY, WAY beyond just running the ball.  He is a leader in the backfield.  He pushed Taylor all summer who's coming into the fall in the peak of physical condition.  Ben Williams is a gym rat, and that's huge too for kids to see starters that push their ever lovin tail off in the off-season.  Ben is a model citizen, and when game time comes he gives 110%, he's our best blocker, he's our best checkdown back, and our best receiving back right now.  That doesn't mean that Ford won't gain more yards than him rushing this year, and Taylor possibly receiving, but Ben gives those guys breathers and we don't have a let down so those guys can be the best they can be.  The guys that rip on Ben have never played for a major football team, and they don't realize that a team, is exactly that a 'team' and they need as many Ben Williams on them to be all they can be!

Great, he works hard. I respect how hard he's worked but I don't care how hard he's worked in the long run... ford and taylor are better running backs and i expect them to get the bulk of the carries. BBQ is a great person and a hard worker but that doesn't make him the best back on the team. taylor and for should get 90% of the carries because they are the better backs. This isn't pee-wee league where  you get rewarded because you are a hard worker.... the best play, end of story.

They're better backs?  How, so you don't mind losing Matt Grothe is the 2nd game because Ford say misses a block and Grothe gets tattoed?  Or perhaps  you think it is cool that in the 3rd quarter against Auburn Ford looks like a ghost because he's so **** out of condition?  Williams actually had a better yards per carry average in that game, a game where Ford averaged 1.1 ypc in the 2nd half because he was a zombie.  We had to have Williams playing in the 2nd half against AUburn because Ford could barely lift his arm and Taylor didn't have the playbook completely down.

Don't be ridiculous, you sound silly talking about pee-wee., and hard work....this game is played for 4 quarters in the trenches, and if a guy isn't in condition or can't figure out who to block then he is useless.  And until you can go run around and find Leavitt about 5-6 Ford's but guys that actually work hard, get the gameplan, understand the playbook and are in great condition then you're just talking out of your ass.  No one is rewarding Ben Williams a starting nod because of hard work, it's because he gives us the best chance of winning at certain points in a game.

Some people on this board actually think Leavitt and crew are 'rewarding' guys, no it's because of certain players are the best at their position for what we have on the practice field.  

LEAVITT DOESN'T AND HAS NEVER STARTED A GUY JUST BECAUSE HE IS THE HARDEST WORKER EXCLUSIVELY.  HE STARTS GUYS THAT PUT IN THE TIME AND ARE THE BEST PLAYERS ON THE PRACTICE FIELD.  THIS IS NOT TRACK AND FIELD WHERE THE FASTEST GUY ALWAYS WINS.  IT IS A TEAM GAME, AND IF A GUY DOESN'T PUT IN THE REQUISITE TIME AND EFFORT THEN WHAT HAPPENS IS HE MISSES ASSIGNMENTS OR PLAYS AND THEN THE TEAM, NOT THE PLAYER, SUFFERS.  

Think about that when you post.  Until we recruit all-americans at every position then sometimes you have to learn to love the one your with.  

• Content Count:  4,016

I dont want to "bash" anybody, but stop saying Delbert finished the year 10 for 11. The entire season is what is important. Its like saying grothe completed 10 of his last 11 passes, so his comp % will go up. Leavitt also made sure Delbert had some pretty easy kicks to keep his confidence.

OK, then go back and use his season, where he kicked 67%, and by NCAA standards was a proficient kicker.  I don't mind if you use his entire season, and if you go back and look by NCAA standards he was 57 ranking for percentage, and 27 for FG's kicked in the year. 

He had two bad games which people like yourself like to glean off of, and but we also had 3 kicks blocked this year and two of which were not his fault.

Oh, and now you're just being silly about saying Leavitt had Delbert kick some easy kicks.  Before making that comment why don't you do some fact checking. Delbert was 6-11 from 41 yards or further, and in 2006 kicked a 56 yard FG...the BE's longest on record.

There is nothing wrong with coach criticism. Fans are allowed to be disappointed on naked boot legs and even while I am a fan with a mentality that dictates cheering for my team before booing the opponent, I have voiced frustrations over certain, repeated mistakes from veteran players.

Oh well. I never like to complain about players online though, whether or not they should, they read stuff sometimes and its better they feel fan support since much of the sport is also mental.

What really frustrates me is when people gripe online about high school recruits when they pick other teams. Those kids are most likely following all of that stuff for ego's sake, and since they are prone to change their minds, I hate to think a complaining, nasty fan base solidifies their decision to eliminate USF as a possibility.

• Content Count:  21,605
  • Days Won:  10

Mistakes will happen, I made them when I played for USF and others future and current players will make them.  It is part of the game and to me that is what makes it interesting.  These players work hard and each individual has a stress and nervous threshold and when you see a mistake sometimes think that the pressure is getting to them.  Sometimes the pressure is in the mind.  Remember, one of the greatest Athletes is Tiger because he has the mind to block out interference and focus. 

The coaches should recognize the stress and help the players overcome and achieve their potential.  Play calling can be critized because the coaches get paid.

Good luck players, play your best and the chips fall where they fall.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,687
  • Days Won:  35

There are different type of fans ... I am the type that feels part of the "family" ... critizism is fine, but "bashing" and finding a "whipping boy" to me is wrong.

It's the fan I am. I LOVE these boys !

And those making the STUPID comments about not treating these players like pee-wee, etc. - They obviously NEVER attended a USF practice. USF puts the best men on the field to WIN !

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

We arent running a charity here. Good, Im glad he worked his way up to get a scholorship, but if he isnt cutting the mustard then we have to go with someone else. Ben is a good blocker, but he is not a #1 running back. We need someone that will make headlines and put 6 up on the board on a consistent basis.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,687
  • Days Won:  35

This is what confuses me ... Mike Ford, a True FR got more carries than JR BBQ Williams and more TD's in 2007.

Everyone expects Ford to be a better back in 2008 ... why are so many panties crimped up ?

I think Ford started 2 games last year ... I expect more in 2008 and a 1,000 yard season and him matching the 12 TD's with more RB production from Taylor.

Williams will be a strong back also.

We have our best Backfield in our history and some are crying ?  ::)

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  3,403

I dont want to "bash" anybody, but stop saying Delbert finished the year 10 for 11. The entire season is what is important. Its like saying grothe completed 10 of his last 11 passes, so his comp % will go up. Leavitt also made sure Delbert had some pretty easy kicks to keep his confidence.

No, it would be like Grothe only throwing 1 interception in the last 6 games.  I think that would be a good sign of improvement.

Archived