yawn

MikeG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Some do go overboard but i don't think discussing who needs to step up or improve should be off limits.  As long as it's done in a mature and respectful fashion all forms of discussion should be welcome here.

True dat!  Delbert Alvarado needs to step up his FG kicking no doubt, but those that want him to improve also seem to conveniently paste over the fact he did go 10 of 11 to finish the season kicking FG's.  He was improving over the season, a game, or a series of games, shouldn't define a player.  Delbert has the ability to be a very good kicker, so hats off to him if he's improving because that's what players are suppose to do, especially 18, 19, and 20 year old kids.  Remember Delbert was a 19 year old sophomore last year, are those guys ripping on him telling me they peaked at 19?  Hell at 19 my best days were still ahead of me, and I think from the way Delbert regrouped, and regained composure last season he proved that possibly his best days are in front of him.

The guys that rip on Ben Williams fail to see his value because it goes WAY, WAY, WAY beyond just running the ball.  He is a leader in the backfield.  He pushed Taylor all summer who's coming into the fall in the peak of physical condition.  Ben Williams is a gym rat, and that's huge too for kids to see starters that push their ever lovin tail off in the off-season.  Ben is a model citizen, and when game time comes he gives 110%, he's our best blocker, he's our best checkdown back, and our best receiving back right now.  That doesn't mean that Ford won't gain more yards than him rushing this year, and Taylor possibly receiving, but Ben gives those guys breathers and we don't have a let down so those guys can be the best they can be.  The guys that rip on Ben have never played for a major football team, and they don't realize that a team, is exactly that a 'team' and they need as many Ben Williams on them to be all they can be!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Some do go overboard but i don't think discussing who needs to step up or improve should be off limits.  As long as it's done in a mature and respectful fashion all forms of discussion should be welcome here.

True dat!  Delbert Alvarado needs to step up his FG kicking no doubt, but those that want him to improve also seem to conveniently paste over the fact he did go 10 of 11 to finish the season kicking FG's.  He was improving over the season, a game, or a series of games, shouldn't define a player.  Delbert has the ability to be a very good kicker, so hats off to him if he's improving because that's what players are suppose to do, especially 18, 19, and 20 year old kids.  Remember Delbert was a 19 year old sophomore last year, are those guys ripping on him telling me they peaked at 19?  Hell at 19 my best days were still ahead of me, and I think from the way Delbert regrouped, and regained composure last season he proved that possibly his best days are in front of him.

The guys that rip on Ben Williams fail to see his value because it goes WAY, WAY, WAY beyond just running the ball.  He is a leader in the backfield.  He pushed Taylor all summer who's coming into the fall in the peak of physical condition.  Ben Williams is a gym rat, and that's huge too for kids to see starters that push their ever lovin tail off in the off-season.  Ben is a model citizen, and when game time comes he gives 110%, he's our best blocker, he's our best checkdown back, and our best receiving back right now.  That doesn't mean that Ford won't gain more yards than him rushing this year, and Taylor possibly receiving, but Ben gives those guys breathers and we don't have a let down so those guys can be the best they can be.  The guys that rip on Ben have never played for a major football team, and they don't realize that a team, is exactly that a 'team' and they need as many Ben Williams on them to be all they can be!

Hey you...Great post. 

• Content Count:  4,451

Nuttin' wrong with true player eval but tearin' down and griping is for losers.  Mama always said, "Shut the hell up Doug."  but I never listened.  But I digress...:-)

• Content Count:  743

Great, he works hard. I respect how hard he's worked but I don't care how hard he's worked in the long run... ford and taylor are better running backs and i expect them to get the bulk of the carries. BBQ is a great person and a hard worker but that doesn't make him the best back on the team. taylor and for should get 90% of the carries because they are the better backs. This isn't pee-wee league where  you get rewarded because you are a hard worker.... the best play, end of story.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,687
  • Days Won:  35

Some need to read MikeG's "SUBJECT" and post again ... this is in regards to "whipping boys".

People have bashed Williams because he's , much of last season. Realize the fact that Williams had 105 carries, Ford had 138. Commenting on that a player needs to be better, don't bash the guy for not being a better player. It would be like bashing a #2 or 3 not being better or complaining that our walk-on talent isn't starting. Williams is a SR and Ford a SO don't worry about a preseason depth chart 2 weeks before KickOff ... the better man will get more carries, just like last season.

"Delbert needs to step it up" ... "needs to be more consistant" ? He finished the year 10 for 11 in FG's, the lone miss was a block.

• Content Count:  971

The whole team needs to be more consistent, as in consistently good.  It's funny Gauntt is still playing football and M. Blackwell isn't.

• Content Count:  2,726

People are going to get mad and point fingers.  Its what people do.  We sometimes forget that these "kids" are 19-20 years old.  However, they are on scholarship and expected to play at a high level all the time. 

College is supposed to be training for the real world.  But in the real world you don't get to slip up as much.  If I don't prepare for a gig or practice my horn, I'll get fired.  Its not like that in College.  These guys are going to make mistakes, because they are still learning.  The key is, how do we recover from these mistakes AND what team in the conference can make the least mistakes. 

I think once the consistency of the team picks up we'll be in better spirits.  Most of the time - to me - it looks like a team issue anyway.

You can't blame the Sun Bowl loss on just a couple of guys.  You have to blame the whole team...

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

I dont want to "bash" anybody, but stop saying Delbert finished the year 10 for 11. The entire season is what is important. Its like saying grothe completed 10 of his last 11 passes, so his comp % will go up. Leavitt also made sure Delbert had some pretty easy kicks to keep his confidence.

• Content Count:  5,279
  • Days Won:  2

and I am sick of it.

Never fails--- every single season going back many years, we have had one or two players that people seem to pile on every chance they get. For some posters, the whipping is Leavitt or some other coach like Rod Smith.

Last year it was Amarri and Delbert. The year before Amarri and PJ. The year before that Ronnie Banks and PJ. One way or another-- somebody is getting a bad rap on this site by certain posters who make it their goal in life to talk crap about SOMEONE and inject that negative crapola wherever they can.

It's so disgusting to see this pattern continue. I get the impression that some of the more caustic individuals on this board find absolute joy in this practice.

And I already know who is slated for this season-- Delbert and Ben Williams. What in the world did Ben Williams do you ask? Why he has the nerve to start or play ahead of Mike Ford. Never mind the fact that he started out as a walk on, worked himself up to getting a chance to play, filled in a role as we had various issues with players like Ponton and PLancher, and even snagged a MVP trophy from a bowl people act like it was embarrassing to have to play in.

All he ever did for this school was bust his ass.

And for it, does this senior get a modicum of respect? No-- he gets people talking about how tall he is or that he can't run as well as player B-C-D-E-etc. God forbid he does something wrong this season-- like dropping a pass or missing a key block-- these posters are chopping at the bit to jump on him.

Same goes for Alvarado-- he is not allowed to ever miss a kick, and must kick while all these wonderful people make snide remarks about how he will miss this kick.

I tell you what-- these type of people make me ill. The constant griping over losses or bad plays, rarely ever stopping to talk about the GOOD that was done. In retrospect, I don't know whether to blame the media for this going on or perhaps finally understand why they write such negative slanted stories so often-- it feeds public demand to talk about what is wrong with this world instead of any part of it that is truly right.

you're right, Mike...

this forum should be reserved STRICTLY for the green-and-gold goggle kool-aid sipping homers. 

God forbid anyone ever criticize or scrutinize the performance of the players.

the purpose of football isn't to win, it's to "do our best" and never, EVER discuss how our "best" can get better because when we do, emo Mike's mangina gets sore and he cries about it in verbose, long-winded sob-fests like this one.

would u like some cheese for that whine, Mikey?

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

The thing that amazes me is that I suspect most of the people on this board never played football.  Many of you may have never played a team sport at any time.   Not that I am an expert, but at least I played soccer and football (club/high school) so realize that these are kids and trying their best.  It is impossible not to make mental mistakes.  It is also imposible to be 100% on in every play, during every situation, and every environment.

It is easy for us to see things people miss on tv when you are watching on an HDTV 60" screen.  It is harder when people are hitting you, you are trying to look over helmets, and you only have one view and need to assume who has the football.  Or try playing O Line when everything is occuring behind you so you cannot make adjustments - you pretty much have to run the play as called and assume the D isn't sending two at you..  

I also think many of you confuse established 1A programs, and NFL talent, to that of USF.  We are not there yet but  instead are taking 2 star guys and guys under the radar, who play with heart and as much skill as they can muster up.  Our success has been on teh backs of guys like Henry, Blackwell, Chad Barnhart, Williams, Mitchell, and many others who didn't make it to the NFL (though a few did).  

If you recall Delbert was called up to start, not because he was ready, but because he was our best alternative after an abysmal season in 06 for kickoffs, punting, and kicking.   Delbert is an excellent punter.  He sends it high and long, and it helped us maintain great field position in numerous games.  His FG developed as the season went along.  Is he Bill Gramatica, no.  But he will be better this year.  The dude bulked up and looked great at Fan Fest.   I let him know how much we appreciate his punting game.  

As for Ben. he is a leader on and off the field.  The guy makes up in heart and drive, what he may lack in size.   His freakng arms look like most peoples thighs.  Give him a freaking break.   The way he gets piled on and gets right up after each play is amazing.

My take is this, people should be more encouraging of USF players.  And if you didn't play, stick to criticizing whatever it was you did.  If you were a tuba player in the band, feel free to point out if a HOT member misses a note.  Or if you were in art, and you notice some issues with our logo, feel free to point it out.  If your sole experience with football is EA 2007 Madden Football, then only criticise the gamers...  You get the picture...

Archived