Ford third string | We'll Be Fine at RB

ChiTownBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,602
  • Days Won:  37

Im surprised to see some of you backing this decision up. It has been a well known fact that we need a better running game to take the pressure off Grothe, and Ben Williams has proven time and time again that he cannot carry the load. Sure, hes a great blocker and a hard worker in practice, but when it comes game time, you need someone that can pound the rock and get us some TD's. Im shocked that we are still in this situation. Ben Williams cannot possibly be better than Ford or Taylor, but in CJL's mind, I guess he is. I really question this decision.

I am not disputing that Mike Ford isn't the most physically gifted RB we have, but what have you seen over the summer? Have you been allowed at the practices? Did the coaches not allow Ford to pound the rock last year? (12 TDs)

The bottom line is this: The coaches want to win and will put the players on the field that give us the best opportunity to do just that.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  6,602
  • Days Won:  37

As long as Ben Williams is our starter, our identity will always be: Williams run for -1, Grothe designed run for 2, grothe run around and avoid the sack...pass for 4, PUNT.

It is amazing how we won 9 games and averaged 35 points per game las season with that identity.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

As long as Ben Williams is our starter, our identity will always be: Williams run for -1, Grothe designed run for 2, grothe run around and avoid the sack...pass for 4, PUNT.

It is amazing how we won 9 games and averaged 35 points per game las season with that identity.

If Ford would have been in the game more instead of williams, we would have won the Big East. No, i havent been out at practices, but from what I have seen, Williams is not a #1 type guy, and hes proved that time and time again.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

If you are satisfied with a 9 win season and tied for 3rd place when we could have won the Big East, then you need to check yourself. Sure, 9 wins is nice, but it could have been 12.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

if he remains #3 on depth chart

he will not waste another year

he sees himself as a top talent as most do

First, who in the world said Ford was 'wasted' last year.  He led the team in TD's, was 2nd in rushing yards, had three 100 yard games with nearly 700 yards rushing, and 100 receiving and this is with him missing 1.5 games due to off the field trouble.  So how did we 'waste' Ford?  

I watched a replay of the Auburn game two nights ago on ESPNU, it was so painfully obvious to even the announcers that by the third quarter Ford was toast, he was gassed, and didn't have his legs left- he did carry the ball 12 times in the first half and caught a pass.  But by the middle of the 3rd quarter Mike had 16 carries and was ineffective.  The announcers said he looked tired, and fatigued and wasn't having the same effect on the game.  The point is Ford missed some serious summer conditioning, just like Chris Robinson.  Guys like Taylor, Williams, Plancher, even the freshman Demetrious Murray put in the time.  Ford hasn't been quite as effective because of his conditioning.

So what do you do with that?  You don't honestly believe Peter Carroll starts a kid that does that at USC regardless?  AND yes Peter has a number of knuckleheads that F-Up but the difference is he recruits a Mike Ford or better every year.  

Ford has the talent, it was so painfully obvious in the spring game, but he hasn't quite put in the requisite work to be 'great', so the staff needs to make sure that guys like Taylor, or Williams are ready, and Plancher too.  They can't sit back and wait for Ford to get it.  Last summer he missed a bunch of workouts too, but somewhat of a mulligan was given since he was a freshman, his father passed away, and he was handling a legal issue.  But the effects of missing lots of summer was seen in the first part of the season as Ford wasn't as effective as he was at the end of the season.

The kid has mad skills but teams can't ignore a lack of discipline, and teams can't put all their eggs in one basket hoping and praying that a guy who doesn't always 'get it', and isn't doing the requisite work to be 'great' is their savior and only hope.  Taylor, and Plancher are **** fine backs, Taylor especially.  Taylor is faster than Ford.  So understand what's going on before commenting and acting like dufuses.  What the staff is doing is smart.  Ford came in last year under similar circumstances and still got plenty of carries.  He'll get lots again, but the staff must try to motivate him, must try to show him the ramifications of not doing the necessary work that all the other starters do.  Exceptions can never be made at the big-time football level.

• Content Count:  4,016

If you are satisfied with a 9 win season and tied for 3rd place when we could have won the Big East, then you need to check yourself. Sure, 9 wins is nice, but it could have been 12.

Whaaa?  How could it have been 12?  By starting Ford?  Dude didn't even know the playbook, hell he hit the wrong hole half the Auburn game and got by on sheer athleticism.  We had Ford alright against Uconn he avereaged 2ypc on 9 carries....wow!

• Content Count:  1,297

Why are people so concerned that Ford must be the guy?  

ummm because he was a 5 star recruit and hyped up to be our future back for four years.  Instead he is getting beat out by a walk-on and playin RBBC.

though im with you the best overall rb should get the #1 its pretty obvious why people are hoping ford will be our guy.

there is concern that leavitt cant handle/relate/deal with the elite athlete

this is something pete carroll does very well

You mean he's good at paying for his elite athletes.  Yeah, I agree with you there.

• Content Count:  3,403

Whaaa?  How could it have been 12?  By starting Ford?  Dude didn't even know the playbook, hell he hit the wrong hole half the Auburn game and got by on sheer athleticism.  We had Ford alright against Uconn he avereaged 2ypc on 9 carries....wow!

Yeah, he didn't know the playbook..."run right, right straight, run left." 

btw, nice making up of stats.  He had 7 carries against UConn for 27 yards.  That's 3.9 a carry, and not nearly enough carries.  Leavitt said something about bruised ribs, which may or may not be true.  I mean, he played some, why not more?

We won every game he carried over 15 times.  In fact, make that every game he carried 8 or more times.  The 4 losses?  4, 7, 7, and 6 carries.  Nice.

• Content Count:  3,755
  • Days Won:  3

Whaaa?   How could it have been 12?  By starting Ford?  Dude didn't even know the playbook, hell he hit the wrong hole half the Auburn game and got by on sheer athleticism.  We had Ford alright against Uconn he avereaged 2ypc on 9 carries....wow!

btw, nice making up of stats.  He had 7 carries against UConn for 27 yards.  That's 3.9 a carry, and not nearly enough carries.  Leavitt said something about bruised ribs, which may or may not be true.  I mean, he played some, why not more?

We won every game he carried over 15 times.  In fact, make that every game he carried 8 or more times.  The 4 losses?  4, 7, 7, and 6 carries.  Nice.

Can't argue against that, and its rather simple, run Ford and we shall win. Pounding a 5'9 202 lbs player at a defense won't wear them down as fast as a 6'2 233 pound back. I'm worried that if he doesn't get significant play time, he will transfer from USF, and thats the last thing we want or need.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Whaaa?   How could it have been 12?  By starting Ford?  Dude didn't even know the playbook, hell he hit the wrong hole half the Auburn game and got by on sheer athleticism.  We had Ford alright against Uconn he avereaged 2ypc on 9 carries....wow!

Can't argue against that, and its rather simple, run Ford and we shall win. Pounding a 5'9 202 lbs player at a defense won't wear them down as fast as a 6'2 233 pound back. I'm worried that if he doesn't get significant play time, he will transfer from USF, and thats the last thing we want or need.

He's not transferring unless he wants to play I-AA ball.  He missed 2 seasons and this should be his senior or RS junior season.

Archived