Ford third string | We'll Be Fine at RB

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Im surprised to see some of you backing this decision up. It has been a well known fact that we need a better running game to take the pressure off Grothe, and Ben Williams has proven time and time again that he cannot carry the load. Sure, hes a great blocker and a hard worker in practice, but when it comes game time, you need someone that can pound the rock and get us some TD's. Im shocked that we are still in this situation. Ben Williams cannot possibly be better than Ford or Taylor, but in CJL's mind, I guess he is. I really question this decision.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

I know all of the reasons for listing Williams at #1 and I even like him a lot.  But those of you who think either Williams or Taylor are anywhere close to the running back Ford is are Fn Stupid.  Frankly Taylor hasnt' shown me anything. 

you comments should be directed to leavitt that listed ford as #3 on depth chart

Why are people so concerned that Ford must be the guy?  

ummm because he was a 5 star recruit and hyped up to be our future back for four years.  Instead he is getting beat out by a walk-on and playin RBBC.

though im with you the best overall rb should get the #1 its pretty obvious why people are hoping ford will be our guy.

there is concern that leavitt cant handle/relate/deal with the elite athlete

this is something pete carroll does very well

if he remains #3 on depth chart

he will not waste another year

he sees himself as a top talent as most do

• Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

Why are people so concerned that Ford must be the guy?  

ummm because he was a 5 star recruit and hyped up to be our future back for four years.  Instead he is getting beat out by a walk-on and playin RBBC.

though im with you the best overall rb should get the #1 its pretty obvious why people are hoping ford will be our guy.

if that includes burying your head in the sand while elite athletes and their families collect hundreds of thousands of dollars, I would agree!

this is something pete carroll does very well

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,331
  • Days Won:  439

How would we know? According to you, we've never had one of those ....

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

if he remains #3 on depth chart

he will not waste another year

he sees himself as a top talent as most do

Depth chart after 1 week of practice means absolutely nothing.  Starter means absolutely nothing.  No one has said he isn't still the feature back.  The feature back is the one that gets the carries.  That's the way it was last year.  

The worst thing a top athlete can do in college is to see himself as above anyone else.  Maybe if Johnny Peyton would have listened to what the coaches were trying to tell him and not act like prima donna he could have been a first rounder.  Mario Manningham thought pretty highly of himself, at one time considered to be a top 10 draft choice, but was lazy and fell to third round.  Carlton Hill, Ryan Perriloux and our all time favorite around here, Brett Schaeffer.  You can make a list a mile long of guys that had great talent and pissed it away one way or another.

I' pretty confident Ford will get his touches and he'll get the start when he earns it.  There is no player or position on the fiield that should get the starting job just because he was highly touted coming out of high school.

• Content Count:  1,894

LOL...

1. ESPN is hyping Mike Ford...not Taylor or Ben Williams,...so he better be on the field.

2. This could just be to make him work harder.

3. After last season, his stats for not playing and not even starting every game were impressive. CJL would not waste that,

4. If this is true, he will transfer next year to a different school if he doesn't play this year. What a waste. This isn't like some just random running back. This is a rare bread of athlete who has to be on the field. Need I remind you the spark that his first run in the Wvu game gave. The power in the Auburn game that Ben Williams could never show. LOL

This can't be realistic to what is actually going to happen.

• Content Count:  3,827

*sigh*

Ben Williams, please graduate so we can get some talent on the field. Thanks.

I wonder if you were saying that after last years FAU game. His long run for a TD was certainly that of a guy who has talent.

No kidding. USF might have lost that game if not for BBQ's incredible effort.

I wonder if Shoop and all the others who are openly bashing a guy who's done nothing but play as well and as hard as he can every time he's on the field plan on spit on him after they pull that giant hatchet out of his back. Unbelievable.

Note to admins: You might need to make the maximum number of people you can ignore a lot higher.

I appreciate Ben Williams, I really do. His story is inspiring.........BUT, we're here to win football games, no?  If you're best attribute - the number 1 thing coaches say about you - is your blocking ability, then you do NOT need to be the #1 RB on a potential conference champion.

I'm sorry, but if that was the case, then why do we even try to run the ball? Just put a TE or H-Back back there and be what we are, a team with zero identity on offense. A team who's successful plays mostly come from broken plays where their QB either avoids a sack and runs away or avoids a sack and hits a WR who's broken off his route. Screw running the ball.

Taylor? Ford? I dont care which, but one of them need to be our #1 guy. Period.

Ben Williams is a short Mike Padilla with a feel good story. Both are Seniors, and both are essentially fullbacks.

As long as Ben Williams is our starter, our identity will always be: Williams run for -1, Grothe designed run for 2, grothe run around and avoid the sack...pass for 4, PUNT.

• Content Count:  5,241

Ill let you guys specualte until about the ucf or kansas game. Ben Williams may START the game (aka first RB out on first  play), but we all know Mike Ford will be getting the most carries

Archived