Ford third string | We'll Be Fine at RB

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  0

I have a hard time taking anything a coach says during the second day of two-a-days as having any meaning towards the start of the season.  First of all, if you read Greg's blog he says that Leavitt thought the entire team had a crappy practice,  Apparently Gregory was not real pleased with the entire offense.  Did Ford have a crappy day and his pefrormance was fresh on Franks mind.  Maybe he didn't come in as well conditioned as Williams and Taylor and he has dead legs right now.  

In any case, I am more concerned with having a good back.  I don't care if his name is WIlliams, Taylor or Ford.  If the other guys are getting the job done then who cares.  Why are people so concerned that Ford must be the guy?  If the other guys pass him then that is his fault.  Ability or not, if he doesn't know the right plays or he doesn't take learn to run through the right holes or he gets the QB blown up by missing assignments what does it matter how big or fast he is.?  

When Taylor came in, a lot of very knowledgeable football people said that he probably has more upside potential than Ford.  If he comes into his own fine.  If Ford excels fine.  Bottom line is I just want a RB to perform.

For every knowledeable football person you know who says Taylor has more upside than Ford I'll show you ten who disagree.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

*sigh*

Ben Williams, please graduate so we can get some talent on the field. Thanks.

I wonder if you were saying that after last years FAU game. His long run for a TD was certainly that of a guy who has talent.

There is nothing wrong with the depth chart right. I'd rather see all 3 guys get some carries over the first couple of games.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

It is not as if the coaches are not telling the players what they need to do.  Mike knows what he needs to do mentally, physically and work ethic-wise and he hasn't done it yet.  That is Mike's fault.  Not Ben's and not Jamar's.  When Mike decides he is going to work his ass off then he will entrench himself at #1.

• Content Count:  23,594
  • Days Won:  61

Gah.  Not this crap again.  I was getting all pumped up for the season.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

*sigh*

Ben Williams, please graduate so we can get some talent on the field. Thanks.

I wonder if you were saying that after last years FAU game. His long run for a TD was certainly that of a guy who has talent.

No kidding. USF might have lost that game if not for BBQ's incredible effort.

I wonder if Shoop and all the others who are openly bashing a guy who's done nothing but play as well and as hard as he can every time he's on the field plan on spit on him after they pull that giant hatchet out of his back. Unbelievable.

Note to admins: You might need to make the maximum number of people you can ignore a lot higher.

• Content Count:  573

I have a hard time taking anything a coach says during the second day of two-a-days as having any meaning towards the start of the season.  First of all, if you read Greg's blog he says that Leavitt thought the entire team had a crappy practice,  Apparently Gregory was not real pleased with the entire offense.  Did Ford have a crappy day and his pefrormance was fresh on Franks mind.  Maybe he didn't come in as well conditioned as Williams and Taylor and he has dead legs right now.  

In any case, I am more concerned with having a good back.  I don't care if his name is WIlliams, Taylor or Ford.  If the other guys are getting the job done then who cares.  Why are people so concerned that Ford must be the guy?  If the other guys pass him then that is his fault.  Ability or not, if he doesn't know the right plays or he doesn't take learn to run through the right holes or he gets the QB blown up by missing assignments what does it matter how big or fast he is.?  

When Taylor came in, a lot of very knowledgeable football people said that he probably has more upside potential than Ford.  If he comes into his own fine.  If Ford excels fine.  Bottom line is I just want a RB to perform.

For every knowledeable football person you know who says Taylor has more upside than Ford I'll show you ten who disagree.

Ford is a better talent but you can't discount the fact that Taylor played for a juggernaut high school that has played some of the best teams in the country while he was there.  The talent and coaching at Lakeland H.S. is better than some colleges.  

Taylor is in his element when he is battling for playing time.  We all know that Rainey was the star of the team but Taylor still fought him for touches just like he's doing with Ford.

I guess no one knows that Taylor was the best running back on the field when LHS played 8th ranked St Xavier in 2006.

From the Lakeland Ledger:

Taylor rushed for 117 yards on 16 carries and one touchdown. Rainey was held to 87 yards on 22 carries but returned the opening kickoff 97 yards to give Lakeland a 6-0 lead.

"I'll tell you right now, there is not a better tandem in the nation," St. Xavier head coach Steve Specht said. "There's a reason why those two young men are going to Florida (Rainey) and Alabama (Taylor), and shoot, going to the NFL for all I know."

http://www.theledger.com/article/20060917/NEWS/609170507

• Content Count:  3,403

Benny is number one because he know's his assignments and can pick up the blitz. 

Plus, he's a senior and we all know that is the Leavitt way - so B starts - I'm cool with that.

That doesn't mean we won't see a hell of a lot of Taylor and Ford in the back field.  We will see them plenty.

We all know Ford is good.  Why do you think he had so many touchdowns and the most rushing yards of all the backs. 

Because he is good and Leavitt trusts him down on the goal line. 

Leavitt has a lot of weapons right now and can use them in various situations.  Not a bad place to be.

running back by this committee will not work

Tell that to 13-0 Auburn with Ronnie Brown and Cad Williams, or to CJ Spiller and Davis, or to Reggie Bush and White (I'm sure you are a huge fan of them since you love USC so much).  Oh, and how about all those Super Bowl champions in a row with multiple running backs?  Patriots, Bucs, Steelers, Colts, and Giants (look at the playoff stats of Ahmad Bradshaw).

In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about.  It's all about how good the backs are and how you use them. 

• Content Count:  2,461

I know all of the reasons for listing Williams at #1 and I even like him a lot.  But those of you who think either Williams or Taylor are anywhere close to the running back Ford is are Fn Stupid.  Frankly Taylor hasnt' shown me anything. 

I reiterate my talent comment. It isn't everything. Work and dedication count.

Welcome, newbie.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Benny is number one because he know's his assignments and can pick up the blitz. 

Plus, he's a senior and we all know that is the Leavitt way - so B starts - I'm cool with that.

That doesn't mean we won't see a hell of a lot of Taylor and Ford in the back field.  We will see them plenty.

We all know Ford is good.  Why do you think he had so many touchdowns and the most rushing yards of all the backs. 

Because he is good and Leavitt trusts him down on the goal line. 

Leavitt has a lot of weapons right now and can use them in various situations.  Not a bad place to be.

running back by this committee will not work

Tell that to 13-0 Auburn with Ronnie Brown and Cad Williams, or to CJ Spiller and Davis, or to Reggie Bush and White (I'm sure you are a huge fan of them since you love USC so much).  Oh, and how about all those Super Bowl champions in a row with multiple running backs?  Patriots, Bucs, Steelers, Colts, and Giants (look at the playoff stats of Ahmad Bradshaw).

In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about.  It's all about how good the backs are and how you use them. 

I love our backs but seriously comparing those specific college tandems to our backfield is LOL.  Yes RBBC works when you have that kind of talent but our backs are no where near as good as those tandems.  Also the NFL is irrelevant to college comparisons and also all those NFL teams you listed had ELITE NFL lines  when they won those super bowls. 

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Why are people so concerned that Ford must be the guy?  

ummm because he was a 5 star recruit and hyped up to be our future back for four years.  Instead he is getting beat out by a walk-on and playin RBBC.

though im with you the best overall rb should get the #1 its pretty obvious why people are hoping ford will be our guy.

Archived