Ford third string | We'll Be Fine at RB

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

I'm going to go with the guy's on ESPN on this one. They are not Hyping up every running back in the country, but they did mention some pretty darn good running backs on the show and for FORD to be mentioned after sitting out for so long and not being a featured back, I'll go with their opinion. Lol Ford in the game means bigger defenders on the field which could open up a whole lot of options. There aren't many defenders saying look out here comes Ben Williams. I garuntee you they can't do that with Ford. He is a whole nother animal.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,403

Yeah, no way minor differences could have made up the 3, 7, and 5 points we lost by.  Ford's less than 8 carries those 3 games surely had no effect on anything.

If our run game was more efficient Grothe wouldnt have made the dumb mistakes he made last year. The bottom line is that Grothe needs help. Otherwise i see Oregon flash backs! At the RU game he ran backwards 20 yards and got drilled. The WR's need to step up just like the RB's do. Sorry grad, your point is wrong, we need a rb to step up or we are screwed.

The problem with our running game was not the RBs.  It was the OL, especially injuries.  RB-by-committee can be successful with a solid OL.  Look at Arkansas and Georgia last year, both had two solid RBs that split the carries.  We don't need an RB to step up, we need the OL to make some holes and push the DL around.

I don't understand why a few people have been saying that it takes a good OL to run with a committee.  It takes a good OL to run. (period)

The quality of the OL doesn't change whether a RBBC approach will work.  The quality of the RBs does.

If you have a good OL and a great back, you'll be awesome at running.  If you have a good OL and 2 great backs, you'll be awesome at running, maybe even better.  If you have a mediocre OL and great backs, you'll be decent.  Having 2 guys of the same skill level is always better than 1, imo, because they can carry twice as much without getting tired.

I guess it's just that RBBC assumes that no RB is good enough to be the feature back, but all that means is that the skill levels are similar.  It says nothing about what skill level it is.

yes you can be great at RBBC.

That's all I was showing.  Thank you.  The point was RBBC can work.  The examples I gave show that it works.

RBBC is never the problem.  The skill of the RBs is.  Whether you have 2 or 10, if they are the same skill level, it makes sense to run more than 1.  using more than 1 RB isn't a sign of weakness.  That is the point of my examples.  If 2 RBs are used equally, that means they have about equal skill.  Now, if you think that skill is bad, then it's not RBBC that's the problem, it's both of the RBs' skills.

...I wasn't saying "we need a good OL to be successful running by committee" - I was making the same point as you: the running game success or failure is all on the OL.  Ben Williams could get 1500 yards with a good OL. 

...Ford probably has more potential than any other back, but he's not living up to the hype.  I don't think the reason Ford is 3rd on the chart is because the coaches are trying to push him.  I think it's because Ben Williams and Jamar Taylor are, better  overall (running, blocking, catching, knowing the offense) than Ford right now.

...Coach Franks wants to make sure USF has the best running game possible. I would like to think he knows more about our backs than some schmoes at ESPN...

Well, I'm sure it is equally depressing for the coaches that Ford (perhaps) isn't living up to his potential since he clearly has shown the most talent for running the ball so far.

• Content Count:  5,283
  • Days Won:  2

Well, I'm sure it is equally depressing for the coaches that Ford (perhaps) isn't living up to his potential since he clearly has shown the most talent for running the ball so far.

get the guy on the field.  that's where it counts.

650 yards and 12 TDs in a redshirt freshman season after 2 years away from football--- and seeing limited touches and missing 1.5 games to boot--- shows that he can live up to expectations.

ball security and conditioning are the biggest issues with Ford, and we won't see how much he's improved until his cleats are on the field.

what do you base that on-- one coach saying he is at position#x on a depth chart?

talk about jumping to conclusions on limited and less than reliable information

Well... it was his position coach... not just some coach. If anyone knows where Ford should be it's Franks.  It's not like Coach Canales listed the depth chart.

I don't know that it's less than reliable -- but you are right the conclusion that the coaches are "depressed" is probably a bit much.

I would also add that Ford, to me, has not shown the best "talent" for running the ball so far.  A running back is more than just give him the ball and go.  Andre Hall was a great runner, but he was also a good blocker, and had great hands to catch passes.  It takes all THREE facets to be a good back - not just what you do after a hand-off or pitch.

what do you base that on-- one coach saying he is at position#x on a depth chart?

talk about jumping to conclusions on limited and less than reliable information

Well... it was his position coach... not just some coach. If anyone knows where Ford should be it's Franks.  It's not like Coach Canales listed the depth chart.

I don't know that it's less than reliable -- but you are right the conclusion that the coaches are "depressed" is probably a bit much.

I would also add that Ford, to me, has not shown the best "talent" for running the ball so far.  A running back is more than just give him the ball and go.  Andre Hall was a great runner, but he was also a good blocker, and had great hands to catch passes.  It takes all THREE facets to be a good back - not just what you do after a hand-off or pitch.

I said running the ball, not being a running back.  He's shown to be the best guy with the ball.

I say depressed because, like most people, they probably realize he has the most potential to be a great running back but (PERHAPS, Mr. Coach-Franks-isn't-Reliable) isn't living up to it considering he's currently #3 on the depth chart.  If he doesn't get more carries this year, I'll be disappointed unless Taylor and B-Will are a lot better at actually rushing.  I'd be satisfied either way (again, I have no problem with RBBC), but from what I saw last year, Ford is the best at carrying the ball and getting yards.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I find it odd that Mike Ford can be demoted to #3 on the depth chart due to conditoning and ball security issues yet Matt Grothe's #1 spot is never in doubt.  It's not like MG hasn't had a 1:1 TD to int. ratio his whole career or anything.  Daniels will run circles around him in practice yet still won't even be considered. 

Very curious indeed. 

Archived