Are we suffering from growing pains?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

We started football with a bang, and then moved right into I-A without missing a beat. And now we are getting ready to move into a BCS conference.

I guess we had to hit a speed bump somewhere, right?

So we've gotten slammed a few times here and there, including last weekend. But isn't that to be expected when you're a program on a rapid rise?

I think we will be fine this year, but try to curb your expectations -I am. Our offense is going to be a work in progress as the season goes on  (to put it kindly)...

------------------

As for basketball, I think what we went through over the years since moving into C-USA was normal. C-USA was a leap from the Sun Belt and Metro, so to be in the middle of the pack was not bad -not great either. But we must realize that the funding wasn't there and basketball was the only horse and buggy we had before football.

And with the abrupt changes, we fell to the bottom of C-USA, which is where we are now. Maybe it could have been prevented and maybe things could have been handled better, but reality is reality.

The huge task ahead for basketball is to go from the bottom of C-USA to the middle of the new Big East -never mind the top of the new Big East. Hopefully, with our new AD being a basketball man, he can help with some of the growing pains. But throwing everything on the shoulders of a coach, any coach, would be a huge burden.

I expect a lot of lumps before basketball is back to respectability.