USF Not Right Fit For Akol

USF_Grouper

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

well there goes the season. big deal. i'm used to us sucking

Not so. This just means that we'll need to have Gilchrist get his waiver.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  520
  • Days Won:  0

Brett's blog says USF's academic committee said no to him.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Brett's blog says USF's academic committee said no to him.

Well at least that makes sense - though for his sake to be honest I would just assume that have been kept a secret.  I am a big supporter of this new academic committee, but I think when they reject players it should be like those suspensions where all USF says is "violating team rules".  I really felt for that Green guy we lost who had planned to come to USF then on signing day was told he couldn't sign.

I know I know - meet minimum standards really isn't that tough, but still.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No shock he didn't qualify.

Despite what people want to believe USF basketball is a few years away from competing for an NCAA bid.

The reality is, the conference has too many teams that spend and concentrate on basketball.

We're a football school with a small athletic budget. I'd rather concentrate on football.

Guest BasketBull.

Let's get that waiver...

Oh, by the way, if I ever run into anyone from the new academic committee, you don't need to pull my finger.

• Content Count:  1,479

Thats weird....as long as we recruited this guy(you can check how many times Greg mentioned him) and waited for him to get his test score, the committee waits until AFTER he is already in school to reject him? That doesnt seem right. He was already taking a Summer B class(theres only a few more weeks of Summer B). Its one thing to reject him when recruiting him academically, but when he's already taking a class at USF? Thats probably worse than what they did to that OLman telling him he couldnt come the day before signing day.  

I think the academic review committee is a GREAT idea, but you cant throw someone out in the middle of his first college class. If he flunks out academically after one year, kick him out, but this just seems ridiculous.  

• Content Count:  19,538
  • Days Won:  24

Yeah, this really is a bad process.  I can't believe they let him into school, then tossed him out. 

It looks like it was supposed to be a secret, but his academic advisor (is this a student?) spilled the beans.  It probably would have been better for both USF and Akol if the advisor had not spoken about it.  Makes the kids look bad, too.

• Content Count:  4,016

Very strange, I think that kid has some growing issues to deal with.  Lived in Bradenton and now does not feel comfortable at USF.  To me something happened and he wants to get away from it.  Good luck

You should get a good look at Akol's track record and it will make a bit of sense.  I believe he's attended five schools, preparatory institutions, and academies since he's arrived in America 2 years ago.  That should tell you all you need to know. 

• Content Count:  4,016

No shock he didn't qualify.

Despite what people want to believe USF basketball is a few years away from competing for an NCAA bid.

The reality is, the conference has too many teams that spend and concentrate on basketball.

We're a football school with a small athletic budget. I'd rather concentrate on football.

While I am generally a hoops realist, and a major season tix holder....you're being a bit dramatic too.  Gilchrist has been ranked as high as 43rd in the nation, Mercer was in the top 30 in rivals....we're not that far away either.  I never though Akol was an immediate impact kid anyway, and have great contacts that have established that point, not with his immediate skill-set, he had huge upside but wasn't helping really in 2008, and would have probably only started emerging in 2009.  This team is definitely not an NCAA team this year, but quite frankly if Mercer is as good as I've been told, we all know about Jones, with Gilchrist, and I've heard great things about Espinosa...this team right now has a shot at post season in 2009, and one more key recruit in this upcoming recruiting class (and one big name has us favored) could be just enough to get this team to 18-19 wins and 8-10 conference wins.  Really!

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Five schools? Akol went to Our Savior New American in Centerreach, N.Y., then went to IMG Academies in Bradenton. Where else did he attend?

Archived