TCU Coach Gary Patterson media quotes

Guest HowieP1

Gary Patterson Media Luncheon Quotes

TCU Takes on USF at Home Saturday, Sept. 25, at 6 p.m.

Sept. 21, 2004

FORT WORTH, Texas

(On the Texas Tech game): "I don't think Texas Tech is 70-35 better than us. It just went that way Saturday. That's one of four difficult losses I've had here now. Northwestern State my first year, Southern Miss last year and San Jose State in 2000 were the others. When you're up 21-0 you wish you could've finished it. After looking at the film what I saw was a bunch of guys trying too hard and some guys in shock. When things turned for us we couldn't get it back. If you've ever been a coach in that situation nothing you call works.

"Tommy Blake wasn't intimidated by the arena. That's the kind of players we're looking for. Quentily Harmon and Cory Rogers tried too hard and it didn't happen for them. You have to learn from it. I'm really not happy with our special teams.

"You have to give a lot of credit to Texas Tech. They did a nice job on defense. We had people open and didn't make plays. Who knows what could've happened if Marvin Godbolt intercepts that pass and runs it back for a touchdown, but you can't focus on what could've been.

"This is a tough year but not as tough when we lost 28 seniors from 2000. There were a bunch of kids that hadn't earned any rings that year. We had guys hyperventilating before the game Saturday because they'd never been in an atmosphere like that. We said we'd learn something win or lose coming in and we did.

"We had one of our best practices Sunday. This group was embarrassed. If any of them weren't, they should have been. I didn't go in yelling at the team in our team meeting. I told them we either have players that won't or can't. We have to solve things, but the sky is not falling. It's nothing that a win won't fix. I'm more worried about injuries right now. If you want to have a winning program people have to step up and that's what we've done in the past.

"We have a much better defense coming in this week with South Florida. We had to play our best defensive game of the year last season just to win 13-10. They've struggled a little bit because they're trying to find a quarterback. On defense, they love to play the game. They remind me of some of our defenses we've had in the past."

(On whether or not the timing of the Texas Tech loss is good for the team): "I've gotten emails saying it was just another game and I'll tell you, it wasn't just another game. But, it's not my job to manage the fans. I have to manage this team. I'd rather learn something now than later. It's like if you have a guy who doesn't go to class all semester and then he wonders why he's in 6 a.m. study hall in the spring. Our kids have to understand accountability. We have some young players that have a problem with that and they need to grow up."

(On TCU's special teams problems): "We probably need to have a boxing match because special teams needs to be a street fight. We've got some new guys on special teams but there are veterans out there too. I think it has to be attention to detail. We've worked on it and on tackling. I'm about to go back to my old rule of not working on it because sometimes you play better that way. Right now the bottom line is to punt the ball and make it hang for four seconds instead of line drives that go for about two and a half."

(On TCU's punting): "If I had the ability to punt right now I probably would. You have to produce, that's the bottom line. When Nick Browne came here I gave him a one-year scholarship to let him prove himself. It's no different now."

(General comments on USF): "South Florida has its whole offensive line back. They've missed out on some practices because of hurricanes, but they have a good football team. If you don't think so, see what they look like when they're in their uniforms Saturday."

(On moving on after the Texas Tech loss): "Our guys won't like me much today if they don't move on. If that's the only game we lose all year no one will remember that one loss. With our schedule that won't be easy. For 22 minutes we found a way to win. You have to play 60. I said that going in. I don't care who they play. Texas Tech throwing for 400 yards is like a wishbone team running for 250. You have to outscore them to win. The only team to win in Lubbock last year was Oklahoma. For whatever reason people don't play well there. We lost all three phases of the game, in my opinion. I've never given up 70 points in a game in my life. We barely gave that up all season in 2000. It's hard to swallow."

(On the starting quarterback situation): "Brandon Hassell is the starter Saturday. I don't know if Tye Gunn will be able to play. He won't practice today. Every year we have this problem but it has worked out well so I'm kind of excited about it. **** Winder said he would tell me by Thursday who the backup is if Gunn can't go. My biggest concern is who the No. 2 guy is without Gunn because there's a good chance he will have to play. South Florida will bring the heat and like it."

(On what adjustments the defense needs to make): "Adjustments is not the word. We have to have accountability. We have a two-step rule meaning you don't let the other team run on run plays or after a catch. A lot of the key breakdowns have occurred where the young guys are.

"This defense can be strong by the end of the year. You don't shut someone out if you don't have the potential to be very good. Oklahoma State didn't shutout SMU last week. I would say at this point we don't have a chance to be the No. 1 defense in the country. We just have to be the best defense on the day of our last eight games."

(On who is playing well on defense right now): "Mark Walker is playing like a senior right now. The guys making plays are the ones that are older. Elvis Gallegos has made big plays in two straight games. Martin Patterson is making plays. There are probably five guys on defense that would do exactly what they're supposed to on a call."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

we will bring the ball

just be there on time

go bulls!