Julmiste was garbage... Banks made two horrible

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

I form.  Two tight end set.  Play action now and then.  Occasional deep shot.  Hand the ball to the fullback (crossley as FB).  QB draw (they can't throw it anyway).  Throw it about 40% of the time.

This will keep us in games and our D alive.  We have the personnel for it.  Do it!

Bingo.

I was watching a piece on Ohio State, and their knack for eking out close games. They know their offense isn't the greatest, but they gameplan to their strengths. Their defense keeps the game close, their excellent kicking game helps with field position, setting up the offense to do just enough to win the game.

Well, USF has a strong defense, a good kicking game, and something that, when used, resembles a ground attack. But we gameplan the exact opposite of Ohio State. When Ohio State's defense has to return to the field, they've had time to rest and prepare for their next series. Even if their offense doesn't gain a first down, they're helping the team win by running clock (useful if you're a defensive-minded team).

When USF's defense has to return to the field, it's only been off long enough for 18 seconds and three incomplete passes to elapse.

Others have predictably suggested drastic measures with USF's offense, but we don't need to do that. We just need to face facts that the Marquel Blackwell offense is no longer appropriate for our personnel. Run the ball more to take pressure off our QBs and set up play-action opportunities. And for chrissakes, let the defense rest!

And if the Ohio State approach doesn't do it for you, look at West Virginia. They supposedly run a spread/shotgun/passhappy offense, but what's their true strength? The ground game. Third in the nation in rushing yards.

There is no point to bickering about who the QB should be. USF has the personnel to be successful, or at least competitive. But the current offensive scheme uses it completely improperly. It's time to try something else. No better time than the week before the conference opener.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smazza

• ChiTownBull

• RobdF

• TripleB

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

osu or wvu offense if fine

ours is like nothing i ever saw coupled with the stupid play calling

and the stupid penalties haven't been dealt with

the tendency of taking stupid penalties will bite us in rear later in season

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I form.  Two tight end set.  Play action now and then.  Occasional deep shot.  Hand the ball to the fullback (crossley as FB).  QB draw (they can't throw it anyway).  Throw it about 40% of the time.

This will keep us in games and our D alive.  We have the personnel for it.  Do it!

Do we have TWO tight ends??

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

convert banks to a te

he is big and slow so he may be able to block

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2

You hit the nail on the head.

This is football not rocket science, if they come out vs TCU pulling the same crap this is going to be a long season and we will be lucky to win 2 games.

Guest S.  Bien

Boy when smazza is right, he's right.  Give me OSU's offense and game plan, or WVU's.  But what we run is gimmicked.  Teams usually run reverses once every other game, and usually rotate the WR running the play so defenses don't key in on it.  Not us.  This offense stinks, and we don't have the QB's to even execute it properly.  So, knowing this, why did Hobbie, and Smith decide to continue pushing the scheme and not make adjustments to fit their personnel?

I mean can I say DUH!  What's sad about saying DUH, is if Hobbie and Smith didn't get it last year, and these first two games then they'll never get it.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Need a run oriented/clock control, power I or pro-set O w/play actions, screens, and RB/QB draws mixed in and an ocassion deep ball on 2 n short or miss direction play.  These 3 hr plus games with the D (the Bulls strength) on the field for more than 65 plays are gonna be ugly 100% of the time vs anyone

The Bull QB is a "D" grade at best due to lack of arm accuracy and mobility when Banks plays.  PJ may be a "C-" but in his defense we haven't seen a full game of his yet.  I watched him warm up on the sidelines and he was favoring his leg.  He didn't need to play.  Gachette would have been a wise decision.  I will say that this may be the first yr our Bulls does not have a stand out WR to help out the QBs.  :P

One thing about the Coaching staff.  Coach Leavitt is not preparing them for the SEC/mega crowd games properly.  Additionally penalties have been an issue for at least 5 yrs.  It needs to be corrected.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different outcomes.  The O needs tinkering or changing and the players need to be treated differently concerning penalties.

I hate to say this but the Bull nation may be in for a large spoonful of reality if this offense doesn't find its niche fast.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

on the money smazza

some have been saying this since the tcu game last year

we do not have the personel to run this gimmick offence

JL needs to step up and change the scheme or get a new OC

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

HS coach  HS plays. We need to get a tried and true OC to move on up to the big time. Hobbie has reached his potential limit. The plays are from a HS playbook, they are predictable, and they suck. If we are running a no huddle "quick hit" offense, then why the hell are we taking so **** long to snap the ball. It is pure Bull Shitz to me. Woolard, time to start getting on the phone for a new OC.    Reaper

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,142
  • Days Won:  1

While drowning my sorrows after the game, I met a SC fan who said "I heard your team was pretty tough." I said with a smile, "Yeah, so did I" we may have lost the fight, but the pride never dies... GO BULLS!