• Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Published Saturday, September 18, 2004

CENTER OF ATTENTION

Herron Hopes to Leave Bulls Program a Proud Legacy

By Patrick Zier

Ledger Correspondent

TAMPA

If you're a coach, you want a lot of guys like Alex Herron on your football team.

Smart. Dependable. Focused. Hard-working.

Herron, a 6-foot-3, 280pound center from New Smyrna Beach, is in his fourth year as a starter at USF. He is part of what should be one of the Bulls' strengths, a veteran offensive line that returned all five starters from 2003.

Herron, whose team plays at South Carolina tonight at 7, has watched the rise of USF football, been part of it.

"It really started with the first class (1997)," Herron said. "They were the first ones to show what it takes, that you have to work hard and be dedicated.

"When I came in, they were just finishing up. They set the example.

"I've been here ever since we started playing in Division 1-A and I know it's not easy.

"Every school has great athletes. Everybody has good players. What makes the difference is how hard you're willing to work, how well you prepare," Herron said.

"During two-a-days, some of the younger players complained that we were working too hard.

"But that's what it takes, and you've got to make them understand so that when we leave, they can set the example for the next group."

Herron has natural leadership qualities that come out in the way he expresses himself. He is, for lack of a better phrase, a mature football player.

There are no stars in his eyes. He is realistic. He has a lot of confidence in this team and his teammates' ability to play well and win, but he knows they must maximize their talent if they are to have success.

He knows USF is still thought of as minor league by some foes and has experienced it first hand.

"When we played Alabama last year and got a 17-0 lead, you could hear their players talking to each other: `Come on, get your act together, this is South Florida,' " Herron said.

"Nobody expects a fourthyear school (in Division 1-A) to compete like we've been able to compete.

"We have to improve our overall discipline," he said. "Last year, we had a lot of turnovers. We were really high in penalty yards, I believe we were something like third in the country.

"That's just a lack of discipline, and we've got to get that straightened out. Every team has talent. It's just a matter of staying focused. We can't be getting 15-yard penalties. We can't make stupid mistakes.

"That's why you work so hard in practice, so you do things right. Everybody has to understand that.

"It pays off. Last year, we won three games in double overtime. You've already played a whole game. You're tired. But you don't quit, you go on, and you know the guys beside you won't quit either. Discipline. That's what gets you through it."

Today's game against a tough South Carolina team will be one progress report the Bulls, and Herron, are looking forward to.