Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

site_logo_280x75.gif

Posted on Sat, Sep. 18, 2004

How they'll try to stop linebacker Stephen Nicholas

About Nicholas: Nicholas, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound sophomore, was a Sporting News freshman All-American in 2003, when he finished with 46 tackles, including 11 for loss. Nicholas is on the watch list for the Butkus Award, given annually to the nation’s top linebacker.

How he’s featured: Nicholas is the Bulls’ strongside linebacker and lines up on the wide side of the field. Nicholas will blitz, as evidenced by his 5.5 sacks in ’04. But Nicholas also is athletic enough to help in coverage; he deflected four passes last week vs. Tennessee Tech.

USC’s strategy: The Gamecocks need to get back to an aggressive offensive approach following a weak effort vs. Georgia, when they failed to control the line of scrimmage. Blockers must get to Nicholas quickly and maintain their blocks.

Men on the spot: Because of the way the Bulls use Nicholas, everyone from guards and tackles to backs will be responsible for blocking him at some point. It will take a group effort to limit Nicholas’ effectiveness.

Wow that was insightful...hope JL read that.

More from "The State"

Advantages

QB: Syvelle Newton gets his much-anticipated first start in place of the injured Dondrial Pinkins. Pat Julmiste is 3-0 as a starter, and the Bulls are 6-1 in games in which he has played QB.

Edge: USF

RB: USC backs are averaging 4.6 yards a carry, but will be without tailback Demetris Summers, out with a high-ankle sprain. Clenton Crossley is the only key back with experience for the Bulls.

Edge: USC

WR: Troy Williamson has eight of the 10 catches by USC wide receivers and has made them count (28.8-yard average). Three receivers had at least two catches apiece in USF’s spread offense in opening win against Tennessee Tech.

OL: Gamecocks struggled against Georgia’s stunts and slants, a scheme similar to what USF uses. The Bulls return all five starters for the second year in a row.

Pass defense: Interception returns by Jamacia Jackson and Ko Simpson mark USC’s first back-to-back games with defensive TDs in 18 years. USF was 13th nationally in passing defense in ’03, but had to replace safety J.R. Reed, a fourth-round pick of the Eagles.

Run defense: USC gave up 4.2 yards a carry last week against Georgia. Bulls are first nationally vs. the run after allowing 16 yards on 33 carries against Tennessee Tech.

Edge: USF

Special teams: Gamecocks are 1-for-4 on field goals this season, with no answer in sight. Santiago Gramatica has strong bloodlines and a stronger leg: Brother of NFL kickers Martin and Bill attempted a 58-yard FG last week.

Edge: USF.

Bias:  The state is known to be a homer rag...

Edge: USC and The State

:)

Three keys

Control the line

USC’s offensive line dominated Vanderbilt but struggled against Georgia’s slants and stunts up front — the same type of look it will see today. With starting quarterback Dondrial Pinkins (shoulder) and tailback Demetris Summers (ankle) sidelined, the line needs to wear down the Bulls’ smallish defensive front to take some of the pressure off quarterback Syvelle Newton.

Take reins off Newton

Given Lou Holtz’s conservative nature, the tendency will be for him to put Newton in positions where he will not hurt the team with turnovers or poor decisions. But to handcuff Newton is to limit his effectiveness. When Newton improvises, Holtz will have to trust that the big-play potential is worth the risk of a turnover.

Improve the special teams

The Gamecocks hurt their field position against Georgia by failing to catch punts. The place-kicking woes haunted USC, too: Had Charlie Carpenter made his 44-yard field-goal attempt, the Gamecocks could have tried a field goal rather than go for it on fourth-and-one late in the game in Georgia territory.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

I am an "Enemy" of The State  ;D

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Days Won:  13

Reading these bolsters my belief that USF will win...

If USC had a tough time with Georgia's stunting D-line, then they will have a problem with USF's.  While the D-line is small, they are fast.  And the Tampa Bay Bucs proved that a small, fast D-line is just as good if not better than a big, powerful D-line.

If USF can limit turnovers - i.e. no INTERCEPTIONS (other than say a hail mary at the end of the first half) - the Bulls should do well.  Our special teams dominance should give us the edge in field position - especially if they can not kick long field goals.

The Offensive Coodinator needs to open up the pass - try a few down the field once the run is established.  I don't remember very many long passes (other than one or two overthrown by Banks) in the T. Tech game.

But if these reports are how the S.C. - leaning papers see the game, then USF is in better shape than we thought.

Go Bulls! Beat the Cocks!

There is not a doubt in my mind that we WILL WIN !

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Yeah these guys know what they're talking about.  They give us the edge at QB?!  They have obviously not done their research.

usc doesn't have ANY QB experience ... I agree USF has the edge.

Go BULLS !!!