Prayers for TTU's Drew Hixon Requested

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

i know medical bills can get high but im sure there has to be some school insurance policy that deals with athletes hurt in games.

also i am not to sure on the exact pay but nfl assistant coaches have to do alright for themselves.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

More importantly than $, GET WELL HIXON!

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

his medical care is completely covered

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

0917hixon1.jpg

Hixon Family Says All It Can Do Is Wait, Pray

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Sep 17, 2004

TAMPA - As Rebecca Hixon has done hundreds of times since Saturday night in the St. Joseph's Hospital intensive care unit, she rubbed and caressed her son's hand.

For the first time, Drew Hixon squeezed back Thursday morning.

``He won't open his eyes, but he moves his eyelashes,'' Rebecca Hixon said. ``You notice every little detail.''

A senior wide receiver at Tennessee Tech, Drew remains in critical condition in a medically induced coma since being injured against South Florida.

He suffered a brain bruise, doctors told his father, Stan Hixon. Drew is breathing with the assistance of a ventilator.

``No one is speculating when he might come out of it,'' Stan said. ``It's day to day, could be week by week. We're in the waiting process, and we're anxious for something to happen.''

Seated at a table behind a color photo of Drew in his No. 7 Tech uniform, Hixon's family spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since their son, the finance major who is two classes shy of graduation and aspires to work one day in an NFL front office, was knocked unconscious.

Knocked unconscious doing what his parents said he loves to do the most - play football.

``It was a clean hit,'' said Stan, the Washington Redskins wide receivers coach with 25 years' coaching experience. ``I've seen it happen before and guys get up and walk away. It's a collision sport. It's a tough, physical sport. Injuries happen. We know as players and coaches that you're one play away from getting hurt. But obviously no one feels he's going to get hurt.''

`A Daddy's Boy'

Drew Hixon is 22, but might not have lived past seventh grade if his mom had caught him that afternoon.

``I was going to kill him,'' she said, joking.

As a seventh-grader, Drew skipped school and Rebecca didn't know his whereabouts.

``That was one of the longest days, but these last few days have even been longer than that,'' she said.

His parents described Drew as a quiet and reserved young man. Avis, his 14-year-old sister, said her older brother is easy to talk to and playful.

Rebecca said Drew is ``a daddy's boy.'' Daddy is a 1975 Lakeland High graduate, where he starred for the Dreadnaughts.

After high school, Stan played at Iowa State, leading ISU in receiving as a junior and a senior, but his most impressive catch was as a freshman.

``He just walked up to me and introduced himself,'' Rebecca said.

Stan and Rebecca eventually married. Drew was their first child. Even when he could barely walk, it was obvious Drew was destained to be like dad. Rebecca recalls one of her favorite photos.

``It's in the first home we ever had,'' Rebecca said. ``My husband had a video camera looking at film, the old-fashion film, of a football game and Drew was at the camera trying to adjust it.

``Even as a toddler, he was helping his dad evaluate film. His life has been football.''

Also `A Fighter'

Drew's life is now in limbo; his family's is on hold. Stan doesn't know when he'll rejoin the Redskins. ``Coaching is not a high priority right now,'' Stan said.

The family is encouraged that Drew makes a lot of movements and also appears to respond to his mother's voice.

Rebecca said when she witnessed the injury she didn't think it was serious. Since then it's been ``a shock, a disbelief. Then a realization that this is real, I'm not dreaming, and then just dealing with it and being strong is the next stage. That's where we'll continue to be until he's fully recovered.''

And his family says, make no mistake, Drew will recover.

``Drew's a fighter,'' Stan said. ``He's very determined.''

Added Terramani Collier, Drew's girlfriend of three years: ``We know he'll pull through.''

Until he does, the Hixons will continue living out of a hospital and a nearby Tampa hotel. Rebecca joked they had to recently hit the bargain aisle at Wal-Mart because they ran out of clothes.

The Hixons say they have been overwhelmed by the support they have received from the Tampa Bay area, St. Joseph's Hospital, USF, Tennessee Tech, LSU, the Redskins and others.

Rebecca is asked whether her family needs anything.

``Prayers for Drew,'' she said. ``We request continued prayers for Drew.''

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Athletic Department Statement on status of football player Drew Hixon

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. –  Drew Hixon’s condition remains unchanged as of Monday morning. Drew is currently listed in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa, Fla., where he is in a medically induced coma.

Drew suffered a serious injury at the end of a play during the second quarter of Tennessee Tech’s game Saturday evening against the University of South Florida in Raymond James Stadium. He received immediate medical attention on the field, was taken from the field on a stretcher, and transported by ambulance to St. Joseph’s Hospital.

rHe was unconscious at the time of the injury, and has not regained consciousness. He underwent tests Saturday night that indicated a brain injury.

As of Monday morning, Drew’s vital signs are stable and he is resting comfortably. David Green, Tennessee Tech’s head athletic trainer, remains in Tampa with Drew and his family.

Coach Mike Hennigan and his staff, along with athletic director Mark Wilson, held a team meeting Saturday night after returning to the hotel to inform the players of Drew’s condition at the time. The team returned to campus Sunday afternoon.

“Right now, all of our thoughts and prayers are with Drew,†said TTU coach Mike Hennigan. “The uncertainty of the situation is a concern, and we all hope and pray for the best.â€Â

“Drew is an exceptional young man, and our only concern is for his complete recovery,†said Wilson. “Our thoughts and prayers are for Drew and his family during this difficult time. Every member of the football program, the athletic department and the entire university community is concerned and hopeful.â€Â

Tech president Bob Bell was at the game and went to the hospital with Wilson and USF officials immediately following the injury.

“Our hearts and prayers are with Drew and his family,†Bell said Monday morning. “As a Tennessee Tech student and a Golden Eagle, Drew is part of a large community of caring people. Together we pray for his full recovery and return to our campus, and we hope that will be very soon.â€Â

Several calls have been received in the athletic department and the football office with thoughts and concerns, and with questions about sending flowers and cards. Flowers can not be delivered to the ICU, so they are discouraged at this time. Cards to Drew and his family can be sent to the football office at: TTU Box 5057, Cookeville, Tenn. 38505. Cards being sent to the football team members and coaching staff should be sent to the same address but marked for the team.

Drew’s mother, Rebecca, was at the game and has been with Drew since the injury occurred. Drew’s father, Stan, was able to join her on Sunday. The family plans to issue a statement later Monday.

Drew is a senior finance major. He is Tech’s leading receiver in 2004 with 10 catches for 102 yards and scored the game-winning touchdown in the team’s season opener against Gardner-Webb on Sept. 4.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

Get well soon drew. we are praying for you.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  3,185
  • Days Won:  1

hope ya feel better drew.....good luck man