USF’s Armstrong Leaves Women’s Basketball Team

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

USF’s Armstrong Leaves Women’s Basketball Team

Tampa, Fla. (September 15, 2004) - University of South Florida women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez has announced that senior forward Andrea Armstrong (Lakeside, Ore.) has voluntarily left the basketball team.

“Andrea Armstrong requested a meeting with me today and expressed her desire to voluntarily leave the women’s basketball team,” said Fernandez. “I offered her an opportunity to think further on her decision and she assured me this decision is final. I wish Andrea nothing but the best in all of her future academic and professional endeavors.”

Armstrong played one season for the Bulls after transferring from Kansas State University where she played her freshman and sophomore seasons (2000-02). In 27 games for USF, Armstrong averaged 3.4 points and 2.3 rebounds.

The following is a re-typed copy of of Andrea Armstrong’s handwritten note to Coach Fernandez and his response to Andrea.

Sept. 15, 2004

Knowing the potential of my team and how hard Coach Fernandez and the rest of the coaching staff is working with the team, I don’t want this issue to cause further distraction. I am concerned that this is dividing my team, school, and community. Because of this concern I believe it best to withdrawl (sic) from the team. So please consider this my resignation.

Andrea Armstrong

September 15, 2004

Andrea Armstrong

Dear Andrea:

Today you asked to meet with me and when we met, you handed me your letter resigning from the women’s basketball program here at USF.  I was surprised that you have reconsidered your decision and clearly preferred to quit the team today.  We asked if you wanted more time to think about your decision but you declined.

I immediately brought your request to the attention of our Athletic Director.   He advised that I meet with you again to ensure that your decision was voluntary.  I want to reiterate that USF supports your active participation on the team, on campus and in our curriculum, and we are fully supportive of your decision.

We met a second time and you confirmed to me and others your decision to quit the team is both voluntary and final. It was important to me to make sure since you had previously resigned from the team, on August 30th.   Shortly thereafter a representative of CAIR contacted the University requesting accommodations for your religion. On September 9th you met with a member of CAIR and our Associate Director of Athletics. At that meeting you made a request, for the first time, to wear a modified hijab during team practice and play.  USF agreed to make reasonable accommodations of your religious beliefs and further work with the NCAA to seek an accommodation of their game play rules barring headwear other than a regulation headband.  We agreed that you would retain your scholarship support and resume practice with the team.

The Department of Athletics is committed to a comfortable and inclusive environment for our student athletes and we want to be sure that no one pressured you to quit the team or pressured you to stay on a team that you do not wish to play on. I was pleased to hear from you that no one from Athletics or the University subjected you to any negative pressure whether from teammates, coaches, administrators, students or employees. I believe that you clearly understood that USF will not tolerate discrimination, harassment or retaliation.  

Thus, your decision to voluntarily resign has been accepted.  I wish you well in your future endeavors and remain willing to assist you as a reference.  

Sincerely,

Jose Fernandez

Head Women’s Basketball Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,380
  • Days Won:  3

Dont want the public thinking it was a forced issue probably.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Why would that be made public anyway?

Isn't it obvious?

Of course there will still be conspiracy theorists and naysayers who will demonize the school no matter what the outcome is.

LOB99?  :-X

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

good riddance

everyone on same team should wear same uniform

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  226
  • Days Won:  0

I think Andrea did the right thing.  She had a conflict between her religion and her activities and she made a decision to choose one over the other instead of trying to bend the rules. Best of luck to her with her future endeavors.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I think Andrea did the right thing.  She had a conflict between her religion and her activities and she made a decision to choose one over the other instead of trying to bend the rules. Best of luck to her with her future endeavors.

Only problem is USF is short one women's basketball schollie for the fall & maybe the spring.  Hope Tally Ban U. plays women's basketball.  ::)  Good ridance.  :P

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243

Nice way to cover our collective arse.

Still, I hope the NCAA addresses this so it won't be a future issue for any team.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

I just wonder what the reactions would be if she was from the faith of Managotabigaboobies and she was required to wear no top ??

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3

I COMMEND HER FOR PUTTING THE TEAM FIRST AND RESIGNING, BUT I SMELL A LAWSUIT COMING!!  YOU CAN TELL THAT "TALIBAN U" IS TRYING TO COVER THEIR BEHINDS.  I WISH THE UNIVERISTY ADMINISTRATION HAD THE BALLS OF THE ALUMNI AND STUDENTS.  IF IT DID THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE.  PS.  IF SHE TRULY WAS FOLLOWING HER RELIGION THEN SHE WOULDN'T BE PLAYING ORGANIZED BALL IN FRONT OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE.  LET THE LAWSUITS BEGIN.