Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

These threads will always end in a never ending argument.  The only way to fairly compare USF to UCF is to compare UCF to the USF that wasn't in a BCS conference.  What was USF record against BCS conference opponents before they join the Big East?  What was their record against winning opponents?  I don't know.  If someone can find those stats, I think that is the fairest comparison.  You will always hear the argument from a UCF fan that if they were in a BCS conference, they could beat us or they would have a better record against BCS opponents and teams with winning records. 

Not knowing those stats, I can still say Leavitt was a better coach.  I talk to a few UCF fans and if there is one thing that got them pist about O'Leary, it was that he didn't care about out of conference games.  He didn't use it as a game to prove UCF's worth.  UCF fan's told me that when USF played a superior opponent (Florida, Miami, FSU, Auburn, etc), you could see the confidence of our players (they believe they could win it).  That always traces back to your coach.  A team takes the personality of their coach.  O’Leary had a laid back I don't care attitude towards a lot of games.  He only cared about in conference games. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Triple B

• UCFChad

• crambone

• flsportsfan83

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

Is it just me or did it look like a Highschool game?

Yo !            ;D

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Is it just me or did it look like a Highschool game?

It is a high school conference, but congrats to UCF.  We look silly making statements about attendance and what not.  UCF did a nice job, I know they gave away half the seats, but still.

UCF deserves to be ranked 22 - 25 only if ylou believe teams from lesser conferences should be rewarded for good seasons.  Certainly not because they are any good (they'd get destroyed by Florida State, Florida, Miami, USF and a host of other BCS teams that wont be ranked).

Now let's try and put this discussion in our State of Florida board - it is GAMEDAY for Pete's sake!

Guest nybullsfan

Stadium actually looked full after a while as people seemed to trickle in late. I would think you'd want to be on time for an important game.

Visitors (north) end zone had alot of empty areas, likely those tickets were given to SMU and they obviously didn't fill them. Dunno how the ticket setup goes, but you can't blame UCF if they gave a big allotment to SMU and had no access to get SMU's leftover tickets.

Good win for them though. They have a stout defense.

I hope they can beat UGA/KY/TN in the Liberty Bowl.

I saw that too, and thought it was the band's seats, and was empty since they had already made their way towards the field for halftime...

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390

Stadium actually looked full after a while as people seemed to trickle in late. I would think you'd want to be on time for an important game.

Visitors (north) end zone had alot of empty areas, likely those tickets were given to SMU and they obviously didn't fill them. Dunno how the ticket setup goes, but you can't blame UCF if they gave a big allotment to SMU and had no access to get SMU's leftover tickets.

Good win for them though. They have a stout defense.

I hope they can beat UGA/KY/TN in the Liberty Bowl.

I saw that too, and thought it was the band's seats, and was empty since they had already made their way towards the field for halftime...

No UCF's band is literally in the student section.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  521

Not knowing those stats, I can still say Leavitt was a better coach.   I talk to a few UCF fans and if there is one thing that got them pist about O'Leary, it was that he didn't care about out of conference games.  He didn't use it as a game to prove UCF's worth.   UCF fan's told me that when USF played a superior opponent (Florida, Miami, FSU, Auburn, etc), you could see the confidence of our players (they believe they could win it).  That always traces back to your coach.   A team takes the personality of their coach.  O’Leary had a laid back I don't care attitude towards a lot of games.  He only cared about in conference games. 

Don't you think that ultimately lead to Leavitt's demise?  the fact that he performed so poorly when conference play rolled around?

what is the point of beating Auburn when you're gonna lose to rutgers, uconn, and cincy in a row, losing your #2 ranking to unranked?

what is the point of beatin Kansas when you're gonna go 2-5 in BE play and headed to a St Pete bowl?

what is the point of beating FSU when you're gonna go 3-4 in BE play, getting blasted 34-17 to Cincy, 41-14 to Pitt, and 31-0 to rutgers?

another thing, i didn't realize the head coach schedules the games.. i always though it was the athletic director

Not knowing those stats, I can still say Leavitt was a better coach.   I talk to a few UCF fans and if there is one thing that got them pist about O'Leary, it was that he didn't care about out of conference games.  He didn't use it as a game to prove UCF's worth.   UCF fan's told me that when USF played a superior opponent (Florida, Miami, FSU, Auburn, etc), you could see the confidence of our players (they believe they could win it).  That always traces back to your coach.   A team takes the personality of their coach.  O’Leary had a laid back I don't care attitude towards a lot of games.  He only cared about in conference games. 

Don't you think that ultimately lead to Leavitt's demise?  the fact that he performed so poorly when conference play rolled around?

what is the point of beating Auburn when you're gonna lose to rutgers, uconn, and cincy in a row, losing your #2 ranking to unranked?

what is the point of beatin Kansas when you're gonna go 2-5 in BE play and headed to a St Pete bowl?

what is the point of beating FSU when you're gonna go 3-4 in BE play, getting blasted 34-17 to Cincy, 41-14 to Pitt, and 31-0 to rutgers?

another thing, i didn't realize the head coach schedules the games.. i always though it was the athletic director

Well that is a good point.  I'm glad he got let go because Leavitt always made the excuse he didn't have enough talent to win.  You give Holtz the same talent and we would of won a conference title already.  But to answer your question, yeah that is why I thought he lost his job.  He couldn't make the most out of the talent he had.  He couldn't win a conference title in the Big East or CUSA.  You can't continue to make the excuse I need more talent (you will never out recruit Florida, FSU, and Miami..well maybe Miami if they continue to fail)

After thinking about this, it's a lot harder to make a decision on who is a better coach.  You see Leavitt made a impact on USF as football program because we won those big games.  He was able to get the most out of those players for those games (Auburn, FSU).  Those victories really do help a program because despite what conference we are in.. people will say "wow.. they beat Auburn" 

But at the same time, you want conference titles.  I think the only reason why Leavitt's impact is greater than O'learys is because we are in a BCS conference and they are not.  If O'Leary was winning conference titles in a BCS conference .. I could see that overshadowing USF big wins. 

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,463
  • Days Won:  6

Thank you for your support......