Former USF Coaches/Michigan

Dmince

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

I have a feeling both Smith and Frey will end up at Michigan...mostly due to how valuable Frey is and how tight Smith and Rodriguez are. However, Magee will most likely be the OC at Michigan. If that happens, Smith might stay at WVU if he gets the OC job. It's obviously contingent upon who the new WVU head coach is.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

It is good to know that the guys on Rodriguez's staff with Strong USF ties (Magee, Frey), will be coaching at a Michigan, which really is one of the top 5 jobs in the country. Calving Magee is going to be on the radar for an HC job very soon. I think he will be the first guy from Leavitt's coaching tree to get an HC job.

At least their out of the conference, hopefully without Mr. Hot Dog environment WVU will slip back down to earth like Louisville did without Petrino and then Cincinnati, UConn, and us will become the new Big East football powers. Then again Edsall and Kelly are probably on many big program shortlists soon, so as long as Leavitt sticks around we will be the Big East's football power. Yes, I believe the coach has a huge impact and Louisville's fall from grace this year provides more evidence.

I think it's going to come down to USF and Rutgers in the long run since Schiano and Leavitt seem poised to stay where they are now.  WVU and UL will eventually rebound, Pitt and Syracuse will return to the middle of the pack, but UC and UConn will likely fade once Kelly and Edsall going to bigger and better jobs.

WVU was nothing before Rich Rodriguez got there, he built them from the ground up. Without him they will be in deep trouble because top recruits like Pryor are no longer considering them. If Devine doesn't transfer and White doesn't enter the draft they could be decent next year but I think Devine could transfer especially if the coach who comes brings a totally different system. I don't think the NFL thinks of White too highly so he will probably have to stay besides their defense will be much weaker and as we saw with Louisville a great coach leaving has a huge impact Louisville still had Brohm, Douglass, and Urrutia and they fell.

As for Syracuse I don't know, I think they remain in the basement unless Greg Robinsons recruits blossom or they finally get rid of him and even then it would take another coach a few years to rebuild them. Pitt's getting some good talent under Wannedstedt but he seems to be like Ron Zook and unable to coach them to good results, they may need a change in guard but the talent is there.

Good for us.  WVU had like 19 kids from Florida.  Who wants to go to Michigan - that should keep even more of our Florida players home in their home state to play...  Right here at USF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,804
  • Days Won:  213

I have a feeling both Smith and Frey will end up at Michigan...mostly due to how valuable Frey is and how tight Smith and Rodriguez are. However, Magee will most likely be the OC at Michigan. If that happens, Smith might stay at WVU if he gets the OC job. It's obviously contingent upon who the new WVU head coach is.

didn't someone report that the last thing Lloyd Carr did before resigning was making sure all his assistants were given another year on their contracts?

• Content Count:  4,259

RRod can and will bring in those that he wants (Magee, Gibson, Casteel, S&C coach, maybe one more), he will use some of the UM coaches (two or three probably - but no more) to help bridge the gap for communication continuity.  The remainders at WVU and UM get paid for the year and are gone if they don't get picked up somewhere else or in the case of WVU assistants, become that continuity conduit for that new head coach.  I kind of hope that Smith and Frey are cut loose in WVU, it would serve them right for their own lack of loyalty.  I would hope the same for Magee, but he seems to be a pretty good RRod butt kisser.

Sorry for the double post ;)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,804
  • Days Won:  213

Frey was loyal to USF for MANY years.

Petrino was loyal to Atlanta for 13 regular season games ;D ;D

• Content Count:  401

Hbryan:

Greg Frey is the longest tenured assistant in the history of USF Football. He worked his first year for free. He turned down several jobs before took a job that essentially doubled his salary and a perrenial top 5 school in the country.

Ask any former player, assistant, or booster if Greg Frey put in his time here.

You are either misinformed or ignorant.

• Content Count:  1,370

Dmince, I second that. Frey certainly put in his time here. He's as much a Bull as any of us.

He's a coach for a conference foe that wanted to beat us this year and every year - you seem to be misinformed about him being a Bull - he is not, he is a Mountaineer.  If he left for Michigan, that's something completely different but he didn't.  His hometown is Clearwater but he left it and the Bulls for one of our mosted hated rivals.  I never claimed he did a bad job while he was a Bull, but he isn't one now, he left for what he thought were greener pastures.  Our offensive line coach is Mike Simmons and I like him much more than Greg Frey - he's still here.

Oh, and considering that the only years that WVU was top 5 is 1988 & 2005 does not make them a perennial Top 5 school.  A total of five times in the top 10 overall of college football history doesn't even make them a perennial top 10 either.  Perennial Top 20, o.k.

• Content Count:  401

It really does not seem that you understand anything about our program's history or college athletics. Have  agreeat holiday.

Archived