If USF holds you to 55 yards rushing

MikeG

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

I'd put Hart, Rice, Slaton, and McFadden ahead of Smith.

That's good company to be associated with in my opinion.  I agree that CUSA defenses are weak across the board, but Smith put up 149 against Texas and 217 against NC State.  Neither the Texas or NC State teams have stellar defenses this year, but they have BCS caliber defensive athletes with good speed, and it's not like our passing attack scared anybody out of stacking the box.

Bottom line and to answer the Sun Sports question - I think McFadden is the best RB in the nation, but Smith will be playing on Sundays.

is it safe to say that USF is the only defense that has contained Smith this season?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

ps -- this thread in no way is about dissing UCF.

I think they have had a fine season all things considered. USF blew them out-- no question.

But they have come through for the most part and have the edge against CUSA. Good for them. This sudden switch from USF being the story to UCF being the story on Tailgate Overtime is a little ridiculous. They didn't even bother showing highlights of us lighting up Louisville. But we got plenty of highlights of UCF beating what most would say is a very weak SMU team. Thye lump us in with "the other teams". They highlight UCF being #34 in the BCS even though we are ranked higher (the show two weeks ago) with the primary reason for that ranking being Oleary voting for his own team from what I can tell-- maybe not-- but still-- who have they beaten that is decent? Don't tell me NCState. 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

MikeG,

You have to understand that Bianchi hates Leavitt. He made a point to call USF a renegage program last year, while he also made a point to call Leavitt a sore loser after we lost to UCONN this season. Also,  I am not a big fan of Todd Wright now that he called for a boycott of USF a few weeks ago just because he felt like Leavitt and USF was shutting out the media. The show is based out of Orlando, so they are going to give UCF more love to play to the home town team. They were way off base by not even showing highlights from the USF game, but that is pretty much par for the course from them. I will say that Whit Whitson and Bar None have been USF supporters on that show though. I just dont agree with Bianchi or Wright's views of the USF program.

• Content Count:  117
  • Days Won:  0

I no longer tune in to that bogus Florida college football weekly review. After Todd Wright called for a boycott and disrespected CJL by holding up a cut out of Leavitts face with the eyes and mouth cut out, and to think I considered that jerk the one with some journalistic integrity.

• Content Count:  1,911

I agree that CUSA defenses are weak across the board, but Smith put up 149 against Texas and 217 against NC State.  Neither the Texas or NC State teams have stellar defenses this year, but they have BCS caliber defensive athletes with good speed, and it's not like our passing attack scared anybody out of stacking the box.

NC State is downright pathetic. Just because you have BCS caliber defensive athletes with good speed doesnt make you a good defense. Just ask Notre Dame.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I agree that CUSA defenses are weak across the board, but Smith put up 149 against Texas and 217 against NC State.  Neither the Texas or NC State teams have stellar defenses this year, but they have BCS caliber defensive athletes with good speed, and it's not like our passing attack scared anybody out of stacking the box.

NC State is downright pathetic. Just because you have BCS caliber defensive athletes with good speed doesnt make you a good defense. Just ask Notre Dame.

We have two lockdown corners and UCF's passing game sucks.  As a result, our D was a horrible matchup for UCF and we were allowed to play a base setup with 8 guys in the box all day.

I personally think Smith has more potential in the NFL and that Rice is the poor man's Ron Dayne (a straight ahead runner with no lateral moves).  RU's OL has owned us in our last two meetings.

Neither will hold a candle to Mike Ford, who is a load to take down but also has a lateral burst.

• Content Count:  254

Kevin Smith is a terrific back and he will definitely play on Sundays.  I would probably put him 3rd behind McFadden and Rice.  I just hope that Rice, Smith and Slaton all declare for the NFL draft this spring.

• Content Count:  22,697
  • Days Won:  52

Kevin Smith is a terrific back and he will definitely play on Sundays.  I would probably put him 3rd behind McFadden and Rice.  I just hope that Rice, Smith and Slaton all declare for the NFL draft this spring.

Every time I watch Slaton he isn't having a good game.  He must be lighting it up in the games I am not watching to be NFL draft ready.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Wow...when you put it this way, it's really hard to refute.

Is Kevin Smith a great player?  Yes.

Will he be playing on Sundays?  Yes. (and I think he's going after this year, contrary to what his Facebook says or someone who sat next to his sister at the basketball game says...I swear UCiFers grab onto straws...)

Should his name be mentioned along with the word "Heisman"?  No.  Absolutely not.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

too bad usf has been unable to contain rice

Archived