What other position can Grothe play?

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  635
  • Days Won:  0

i'm not hearing anything about Tebow or Grothe, NFL-wise, anywhere outside of this thread, honestly.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  22,836
  • Days Won:  53

Wow this guy is only a redshirt sophomore and you guys are already righting off his chances at being a starting QB in the NFL just because he isn't tall?  I think he could be a quarterback in the NFL, he needs to improve as a passer of course but he's making great throws this year his wideouts just aren't catching them. Grothe makes good decisions, and that team has been a winner with him as their starter only losing 4 games during his tenure so far.

People aren't saying that Tim Tebow is going to be a safety in the NFL. No, at this point Matt Grothe is not as good as Tim Tebow but he's a similar type of QB and still has plenty of time to develop and catch up to Tebow. I can't believe all of you are already giving up on his as a quarterback, this topic is just completely uncalled for at this current time.

For the record, I am not one of those guys.  I haven't been this excited watching a player since Dan Marino left the NFL (yes I know they are different kinds of QBs).  Football is my favorite sport to watch but it hasn't been this fun to watch in a while for me.  I like watching Manning, sure, and I like the Bucs, but the stuff we have seen with this team since Grothe came in at QB have been pretty amazing.

I don't pretend to be an expert, just a fan.  What I don't understand is why an emphasis is placed on height when there are exceptions to the rule who do just fine.  What makes a player like Brees or Garcia work in the NFL?  Seriously, I am asking so someone can answer it because I don't know.  Garcia was doing better than their (Eagles) starter last year and look what he is doing here?  Sure, the Saints are having issues right now (don't follow their team) but last year it was all Drew Brees this, Drew Brees that.

On a side note, I also like watching Tebow because he is a bad mofo, but I am not sure he is "better" than Grothe.  They both run and make plays and they can both throw the ball.  They will both get even better than they are now.

Also, as mentioned Grothe's stats would be a lot better if the occasional ball was caught.  Watching drop after drop in the endzone against UCF in that first half was kind of fitting.

• Content Count:  4,738

Famous hunting and fishing guide ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,810
  • Days Won:  213

jeff garcia, drew brees, and mark brunell aren't any taller than 6'1" and a lot of starters are only 6'2".  he could play qb in the NFL still, he has two years to develop his game and with his mobility height does become less of a factor. 

Matt isn't even 6 feet.

BS--- I have stood next to him and he is listed at the corect height-- He is 6 foot tall

• Content Count:  695

If I stood next to him we could find out for good, i'm 5'11" so if he was taller than me that would seal it.

• Content Count:  349

Safety

Doubt it. Not tall or fast enough in my opinion.

John Lynch ran a 4.64 coming out of college...not exactly lightning.  I imagine Gorthe could deliver a vicious hit if asked to.  Who knows? I'm just glad he's USFs QB now. 

I remember a game in High School. It was a Semi-Final Game, at home. Actually, I believe it was Drew Weatherford's team his senior year. They had this big huge guy playing TE. Lake Gibson has a LT on the team at the time (Who is now the starting LT for the Gayturds) that was about the same size. 6'5" and built like a rock. They were having trouble bringing the guy down, so they put Grothe out there. Not sure if he took the spot of a LB or a DB, but they put him in there specifically to defend that guy.

Yeah, he's not the biggest guy, and he probably doesn't have the ideal size to play most positions, but maybe he could play Safety, or maybe a Cover 2 type Corner? A Ronde Barber type CB?

• Content Count:  22,836
  • Days Won:  53

I am still wondering why you have successful pro QBs at 6', but him being 6' is an issue.  Someone please explain that to me because I am not in the loop on this QB height stuff.

• Content Count:  1,457

How about Quarterbacks Coach!

Archived