Ray Rice's Numbers vs USF

JoeB

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,336
  • Days Won:  30

14 straight games without allowing a 100 yard rusher.

Last time, against Rice.

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,397
  • Days Won:  491

The key difference in the running game, to me, is the loss of Brian Leonard.

I agree with that somewhat, he was a nice blocker and second option and as I recall he damaged us up pretty bad.  Glad he's gone. 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have seen several of Rutgers games and I really can't say if I am or I am not impressed with their offense this year.  Yes, they still have Ray Rice, but they lost two All Americans in leonard and Clark Harris.  No way you don't have a drop off losing two guys like that.  

Leonard was a big part of their offense in three phases.  First he was a great lead blocker for Rice.  He was a threat to run and he was also their leading receiver.  He made many great plays for them on third down.  This year, however, their receivers have really stepped up and will be a formidable threat.

It's hard to judge just how good this offense is though.  The first frew games looked like Teel was playing catch in the backyard with his receivers. the agains he was against real poor competition.  No coverage at all.  That certainly won't be the case with our DBs.  I think the key in this game to stopping their offense will be like it was against UCF and WVU.  Understand that their guys are going to make their yardage, but don't allow the long plays.

Don't forget that in last year's game it was our first conference game and we were without Clebert, Selvie was still figuring out where to play at this level, Julmiste was suspended.  If you go back to last year, The D line was still our biggest question mark besides our running game.  We did a good job of containing Harris last year.

On offense I definitely think this will be the game for our running game (Ford) to really shine although I have been saying that for a few weeks now).  Maryland ran for 254 yards, almost 100 yards more than their normal average.  Navy moved the ball, but their QB threw 3 INTS in the red zone.  I think we can move the ball well against them.  I believe things started to click on the offense the last couple of weeks better because our O line is now healthy.

I'm still nervous because Rutgers is good, but I think we are playing at a very high level right now.  I think even higher than most people realize.  As long as we are up for the game, we should win with a good showing.

• Content Count:  9,822
  • Days Won:  9

I have seen several of Rutgers games and I really can't say if I am or I am not impressed with their offense this year.  Yes, they still have Ray Rice, but they lost two All Americans in leonard and Clark Harris.  No way you don't have a drop off losing two guys like that.  

Leonard was a big part of their offense in three phases.  First he was a great lead blocker for Rice.  He was a threat to run and he was also their leading receiver.  He made many great plays for them on third down.  This year, however, their receivers have really stepped up and will be a formidable threat.

It's hard to judge just how good this offense is though.  The first frew games looked like Teel was playing catch in the backyard with his receivers. the agains he was against real poor competition.  No coverage at all.  That certainly won't be the case with our DBs.  I think the key in this game to stopping their offense will be like it was against UCF and WVU.  Understand that their guys are going to make their yardage, but don't allow the long plays.

Don't forget that in last year's game it was our first conference game and we were without Clebert, Selvie was still figuring out where to play at this level, Julmiste was suspended.  If you go back to last year, The D line was still our biggest question mark besides our running game.  We did a good job of containing Harris last year.

On offense I definitely think this will be the game for our running game (Ford) to really shine although I have been saying that for a few weeks now).  Maryland ran for 254 yards, almost 100 yards more than their normal average.  Navy moved the ball, but their QB threw 3 INTS in the red zone.  I think we can move the ball well against them.  I believe things started to click on the offense the last couple of weeks better because our O line is now healthy.

I'm still nervous because Rutgers is good, but I think we are playing at a very high level right now.  I think even higher than most people realize.  As long as we are up for the game, we should win with a good showing.

Totally agree.  Need to make Teel throw into coverage and take advantage of those situations.

• Content Count:  291
  • Days Won:  0

I have seen several of Rutgers games and I really can't say if I am or I am not impressed with their offense this year.  Yes, they still have Ray Rice, but they lost two All Americans in leonard and Clark Harris.  No way you don't have a drop off losing two guys like that. 

Leonard was a big part of their offense in three phases.  First he was a great lead blocker for Rice.  He was a threat to run and he was also their leading receiver.  He made many great plays for them on third down.  This year, however, their receivers have really stepped up and will be a formidable threat.

It's hard to judge just how good this offense is though.  The first frew games looked like Teel was playing catch in the backyard with his receivers. the agains he was against real poor competition.  No coverage at all.  That certainly won't be the case with our DBs.  I think the key in this game to stopping their offense will be like it was against UCF and WVU.  Understand that their guys are going to make their yardage, but don't allow the long plays.

Don't forget that in last year's game it was our first conference game and we were without Clebert, Selvie was still figuring out where to play at this level, Julmiste was suspended.  If you go back to last year, The D line was still our biggest question mark besides our running game.  We did a good job of containing Harris last year.

On offense I definitely think this will be the game for our running game (Ford) to really shine although I have been saying that for a few weeks now).  Maryland ran for 254 yards, almost 100 yards more than their normal average.  Navy moved the ball, but their QB threw 3 INTS in the red zone.  I think we can move the ball well against them.  I believe things started to click on the offense the last couple of weeks better because our O line is now healthy.

I'm still nervous because Rutgers is good, but I think we are playing at a very high level right now.  I think even higher than most people realize.  As long as we are up for the game, we should win with a good showing.

Very knowledgeable post. As long as the D-Line plays great and the O-line too, i think we win by atleast 2 td's.

• Content Count:  56

Remember that FAU kid that for a couple of series seemed to get 10+ yards a clip(Rose maybe?)?  He ran right at USF.  That's my concern with Rice.  If USF let's him and RU get into long series, with run after run, it will wear down our D.  Watching the second half of the RU/SU game Rice looked really tough to bring down.  He wasn't running side to side like a Slaton, he was taking it straight ahead and off tackle (mainly to the right side) and that is something the D is going to have to contend with. 

USF needs to keep Rice out of the picture.  Long scoring drives by our O and pick offs by our D is the best solution to Rice.

• Content Count:  160

I agree with most of what has been said.  Rice is tremendous and our best shot to contain him is to limit his carries.  The offense has to be able to convert 3rd downs and establish a 1st half lead.  If there are too many 3 and outs and Rice gets to carry it 25-35 times he will be almost impossible to keep him under 150 yards.  There is no reason to think CJL and the staff won't have the team prepared even in a short week but I've been circling this game since the outset of the season as a very dangerous game.  Like most of you on here, I didn't realize the national implications on the line but that only shoots it up another level or three.  Most of you remember the enviornment at RU during last years L'ville game and while they are not undefeated they still have a chance to win the BE and go to a BCS bowl. 

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

Leonard didn't do anything against us last year because we had someone on him. When you don't have to take a defender away to spy him, it allows you to put that much more attention on Rice.

This is a huge game. I think we will shut them down. I loved our LB's last year, but I am scared to say that they are actually better this year. McKenzie and Momprimier have really stepped in and exceeded expectations. We may be a little faster at that position, and maybe even a little better tackling. Rice had 36 carries only 4 days ago, I don't care how good you are, your legs just aren't going to recover that quick to be able to consistently get big gains for another 30+ carries.

We need to watch for trick plays at this point. We are a team not that people are going to think they have to run some gimmick plays against to get a big play on us. It's true, our D isn't going to give up a big play if you just line up and run one. I would look for someone other than Teel to try and throw a deep pass in this game.

• Content Count:  4,738

When asked about Rice's rushing totals last year, McKenzie replied"I wasn't here"

Nuff said Get sum!

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Keep in mind Teel's stats have been helped by playing powerhouse defenses such as....

Norfolk State (wow)

Navy

Syracuse

We've got to make this guy beat us, because I'm pretty sure he can't.

Archived