CFN Cavalcade of Whimsy... "the new Da U"

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,598
  • Days Won:  13

Extremely curious Mike Rozier ankle injuries and Irving Fryar dropped passes aside … It’s mid-October in 1983. How many out there were going, “Miami in the national title hunt?†And then the Canes beat an unbeatable Nebraska team in an all-timer of a national championship. It’s mid-October in 2007. How many out there are going, “South Florida in the national title hunt?†Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the new Da U.   

Link -- About halfway down...

This is at the end...

3. South Florida – Orange Bowl

Here we go with the big debate of the 2007 season. South Florida will lose at Rutgers in a thriller, but will beat Connecticut, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt to finish 11-1 to earn an automatic spot in the BCS as the Big East champion. The computers will all have the Bulls in the top two, with at least one having them number one, but because of the recency effect, with the voters remembering the Rutgers loss and forgetting about the West Virginia win, the humans will screw things up by putting them just low enough to open the door for ….

2. West Virginia – BCS Championship

Currently ninth in the BCS rankings, the Mountaineers will start creeping up with impressive win after impressive win. They’ll beat Mississippi State, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut and Pitt to finish 11-1, and get just enough love from the computers to go along with the respect from the human polls. I’m not saying it’s right that West Virginia will get in over South Florida, I’m just predicting here. The Mountaineers will get the number two spot, USF will be three, and the college football world will be buzzing.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

How can a team play for the N.C. w/o winning their own conference. I think that should be a prequisite to qualify for that game, or am I wrong here?

How can a team play for the N.C. w/o winning their own conference. I think that should be a prequisite to qualify for that game, or am I wrong here?

You're wrong.  The only pre-requisite is finishing #1 or #2 in the BCS.  If USF loses only 1 and WVU wins out,  USF wins the Big East but WVU could be #2 behind LSU or OSU... they still need other teams to lose, tho...

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

It is actually possible if USF loses once, and West Virginia wins out.

• Content Count:  2,307

"Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault … the computers loved my column and had it ranked high, but the humans hated it, and now it needs others to fall so it can get into the hunt."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,810
  • Days Won:  213

call me a bad fan if you want but I would take 11-1, a Big East corwn and a BCS game any day. The NC game--- we need to be 12-0 for that to even be a consideration by the skittish media and voteres

• Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

You're wrong.  The only pre-requisite is finishing #1 or #2 in the BCS.  If USF loses only 1 and WVU wins out,  USF wins the Big East but WVU could be #2 behind LSU or OSU... they still need other teams to lose, tho...

I'm pretty sure the last time Oklahoma was in the NC game and lost they weren't the Big 12 champs. I think they lost the title game but still ended up #2 in the BCS poll. I think that year there was split National Champs, I want to say LSU and USC.

Oh I am with you. Before this season I expected the Bulls to be an 8 win team, fall down to 6 or 7 wins next year after losing the secondary, Ben Moffitt, and T Robinson from defense and then being a national title contender in 09.

So i'm more than happy with a Big East title and BCS bowl appearance.

I'm pretty sure the last time Oklahoma was in the NC game and lost they weren't the Big 12 champs. I think they lost the title game but still ended up #2 in the BCS poll. I think that year there was split National Champs, I want to say LSU and USC.

Yep 2003, but there was good reason for Oklahoma being ranked ahead of USC.

First, Kansas State them team Oklahoma lost to blew out Cal opening week of the season.

Second, Oklahoma played a tougher schedule the season.

Third, Oklahoma completely dominated the regular season, had basically perfect scores in everything, and it was essentially common knowledge before the game that even if they lost they would make the title game so for USC to make it LSU needed to lose.

Archived